things at the time… Never saw any issues before… Sorry
this apparently happened…

hyperscalper

SERVER TIMES

Well, it’s true that MT4 platforms have various “server times” and,
for me, the ones which are GMT+0 are the best. Internally, in any
code I write, I always refer things to the GMT timezone, so from
the perspective of an automated process, it doesn’t make any
difference what MT4/5 platforms use as their “server time”.

[EDIT] I use a synchronized precise local clock using a utility such
as Net Time (from timesynctool.com) on Windows systems to
synchronize clocks. And since I use Java, when I get a Java
timestamp it’s a universal number which means “now” ! Representing
“now” in various timezones is just a matter of choice. Apologies
to Einstein who says that “now” has no real meaning in a Relativistic
context, but I digress !! LOL

Sorry I can’t offer any further enlightenment ! LOL

hyperscalper

FINPROTRADING NETWORK “FREEZE”

Yeah, that’s a most reasonable attitude. There’s no way
something like this is more than a one-off, and if they
honor requests for compensation, hey, that’s fair and reasonable.

hyperscalper

RE: FINPROTRADING “FREEZE”

So they changed the MT4 .srv server address, so a rescan
was necessary, and then I had to re-populate my servers with
the proper.srv files, and now everything works…

“Network congestion” ??? Sounds like some sort of
DDOS attack on their servers to me… but I speculate…

[EDIT] I killed any existing TurnkeyFX-Live.srv files in the config
data area, and then re-scanned to get an updated one.
Once I had that, I sent it everywhere it was needed… Sheesh !!!

[EDIT2] Because I work with NJ4X I know that ALL MT4 clients
are exactly the same, no matter which brokerage they come
from… perhaps a little-known fact. I am using Evolve’s MT4
instance, just as an example… works on a proper .srv file
from any broker…

hyperscalper

2 Likes

Regarding the FinPro freeze, I had to do the following: Go to File>Open an Account, Click Scan then close the window once it completes. Network should be reconnected once you re-login to your trading account.

FINPROTRADING ISSUES versus TURNKEYFOREX

I don’t really understand why this (allegedly) did not affect
TurnkeyForex.com also… I thought they both used the same
TurnkeyFX-Live.srv MT4 server file with presumably the
same ports and address, but perhaps not ?..

In my system, I have to have every .srv file so it can connect
across brokers, so I’ll need to check this out…

[EDIT] Somewhat confusingly, although both of these brokers us
the same FILENAME “TurnkeyFX-Live.srv” the contents are different
so in my case, I’ll need to use a different FILENAME to
differentiate FinProTrading from TurnkeyForex since the
rule should be different .srv filename, different broker…

In the NJ4X server “pool” it needs to differentiate the two
brokers, and cannot if the filename is the same… Other
folks will not really be confronted with this issue…

hyperscalper

I have no idea why it affected one and not the other as well. It struck me odd. I had done the rescan as and it finally reconnected. Had to delete the MT4 IOS app on my ipad and reinstall, but not on my iphone. Very strange indeed.

The LINKS in post #2 are about 5 months out-of-date.

I’m working on fixing that.

EDIT

80 new links have been added to post #2. it is now up-to-date.

In general, each broker has his own IP address on port 443
for MT4… So I guess FinProTrading’s IP was being attacked or
otherwise compromised, while TurnkeyForex service was
not disrupted. Even though they ultimately route to the same
service provider…

hyperscalper

1 Like

INCREASING PREVALENCE OF MT5 PLATFORMS

Clint, this is going to be a nightmare to keep up with the
transition to MT5 which is finally beginning to happen.

In particular, FXChoice now offers MT5, and I noted earlier
that all new Evolve.Market accounts are MT5 as well.

NOTE: These account types are thankfully set up as the
"hedging" variety, rather than “net position”. This offers the
maximum backwards compatibility where every position
or, in the old days, every “deal” is separately accounted for…

As I’ve mentioned before, this MT4 to MT5 transition is
an issue for me since it impacts my NJ4X usage which
definitely does support BOTH terminal types, but requires
some distinction between the “old” and the “new”…

hyperscalper

DUKASCOPY SOON TO OFFER MT4 ACCOUNTS

OK, I realize that U.S. persons are not “solicited” by Dukascopy
and in principle CANNOT get an account there. Of course,
“hope springs eternal !” and we’d like to see that change !!!

But I’d just say that they have, after decades, committed to
offering MT4 based accounts now (Live in a few weeks time)
bringing them more into line with the rest of the world.

I feel guilty about even posting this, since I personally do not
have a Dukascopy account as a U.S. person but am doing
work for some non-U.S. clients who do have them. Perhaps there will
come a time when we U.S. persons will again be welcomed
by the offshore brokers ??

[EDIT] Back when U.S. persons were able to get Dukascopy
accounts through FXDD, I did a huge amount of coding against
their API. Dukascopy is unique in offering Market Depth which
I use to do Forex Order Flow analysis. Even though a U.S. person
cannot have a Live Dukascopy account, ANYBODY can join the
free “community” and get a perpetually renewable DEMO
account from Dukascopy, even U.S. persons. Now, that sounds
useless perhaps, but I use that as a Data Feed from which
Market Depth information can be extracted for Book Trend
and Order Flow information in Forex. And their data quality
for Demo accounts is equivalent to their Live accounts, unlike
so many brokers where Demo is inferior data quality…

hyperscalper

1 Like

From HyperScalper:Perhaps there will come a time when we U.S. persons will again be welcomed by the offshore brokers ??

Who knows, there might be a time as I received an email today which shows that Europe is following the CFTC path and puts pressure on the search for Offshore brokers also on this part of the world… This is what I got today:

"Dear xxx,

On 1st August 2018, the new ESMA investor protection measures come into force for retail clients. We are writing to inform you of the changes we need to make to your account.

New Margin Rates

In preparation for the 1st August deadline, on 28th July 2018 new margin rates will be applied to your account. This means that all trades opened from midnight BST on 28th July 2018 will be subject to the new margin rates.

If you have existing open positions prior to midnight 28th July 2018, these will remain on the current margin levels until you close them. They will not be subject to the new margin requirements.
Maximum Trading Leverage
Market Current Retail Margin New Retail Margin Extra Margin Required for Retail Clients
Major currencies 0.5% 3.33% × 6.67
Major indices 0.5% 5% × 10
Metals 0.5% 5% × 10
Commodities 1% 10% × 10
Shares 4% 20% × 5
Cryptocurrencies 25% 50% × 2

No Negative Balance Protection

From midnight BST on 28th July 2018, no negative balance protection will also be applied to your account. This means that the balance on your account cannot go below zero.

Please also note, the 50% margin close out rule will continue to be applied to your account, unless we have communicated to you otherwise. We will be in touch in the next couple of weeks to tell you more about how these changes will affect you.

Professional Client Status

Professional Clients will not be affected by the new upcoming ESMA regulations. Find out more about becoming a Professional Client.

If you have any questions regarding the information in this email then please do not hesitate to contact us on the numbers below."

1 Like

If you read the above post, well… if the restrictions kick in, then there are less and less differences between the US brokerages and the other ones so maybe US traders can then trade elsewhere.

My favorite points from the above email:

1. Making difference clearly between retail traders and “professionals” - whatever the later means.
  2. The ridiculous leverage, which is lot for than in the US. For example look at Cryptos. The new leverage is 2:1. Is that serious?

I am sorry, it seems like I made above the changes of the table showing the Retail Margin, New Margin and Change, but it somehow wasn´t saved the way I made it so it is a bit difficult to interpret the numbers there.

The world is going down in Forex,
FE

Here is what I got from one of my “regulated” broker.

Pursuant to your recent discussion with us, and based on information you have provided on your application form and/or other information available to us, we shall treat you as an elective professional client (as defined by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) rules) in respect of all your investment business with us.

=====================================================================================

HERE IS WHAT I LOOSE AS A PROFESSIONAL INVESTOR

We categorise you as a professional client on the basis that you meet the requirements for an elective professional client set out in the Appendix to this letter. In accordance with the title transfer financial collateral arrangement in CASS 7.11 of the FCA’s Client Money Rules, and in agreement with Term 18.3 of our Terms of Business you agree that any money (i) you transfer to us or (ii) have transferred to us, or (iii) which is transferred to us on your behalf by way of margin or otherwise will be treated as a transfer of full ownership of such money by you to us for the purpose of securing or covering your present, future, actual, contingent or prospective obligations.

You understand and agree that the consequence of the transfer of ownership of any such monies means that it shall no longer be regarded or treated as “Client Money” in relation to the segregation of those monies and that we may deal with such money in our own right. Furthermore, in the case of insolvency, you rank as a general creditor in relation to such
money.

You do have the right to request re-categorisation as a retail client. Whilst we will consider such a request, we cannot
guarantee we would agree to it. :point_left: :point_left: :point_left: :point_left:

As a professional client, you will not receive the benefit of certain protections that are available for retail clients under FCA’s rules. You may however be eligible to benefit from lower overnight financing charges and interest on encumbered funds on your account. We enclose a summary of the main differences between professional clients and retail clients herein for your information

1 Like

Here is the Appendix which states the criteria for a professional client

(the “qualitative test”);

an adequate assessment of the expertise, experience and knowledge of the client has been undertaken that gives
reasonable assurance, in light of the nature of the transactions or services envisaged, that the client is capable of
making his own investment decisions and understanding the risks involved

(the “quantitative test”);

1. the client has carried out transactions, in significant size, on the relevant market at an average frequency of
    10 per quarter over the previous four quarters

2. the size of the client’s financial instrument portfolio, defined as including cash deposits and financial
    instruments, exceeds EUR 500,000

===============================================================================

Not sure if its worth becoming a professional investor with a broker. I would rather go to a prop shop and put “first loss capital” and get all the benefits of a professional investor without loosing the right to my money :frowning:

Back to the Pint -> I think ESMA made this thread even more precious :slight_smile: now not only US guys but also EU guys will have to find a new home with offshore brokers. We should now call this thread Going offshore to escape CFTC and ESMA (no offense intended)

WELCOME EU guys to this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

News headline re: Talinex on FF.com

https://www.forexfactory.com/news.php?do=news&id=789361

Tallinex hasn’t been paying customers there withdrawals. this explains it all

Hi All,

I have a couple of comments and a question I hope you can help with. First and foremost this whole thread is AMAZING and Thanks to all who have put in the work to gather the broker info!!!     

Next, I am another whose account was moved from Tallinex to Capital City Markets. I went through the issues with credit card deposit supposedly not being recognized by CCMs bank. My credit card issuer honored my fraud claim and I'm not sure what ever happened past that. I hope others affected by that were refunded. As if that wasn't bad enough for CCM, I read posts in this thread of someone waiting a ridiculous amount of time for a withdrawal. Well I put in my first withdrawal request on Monday and I will update you as the process moves along (fingers crossed it goes smoothly).         

My question is this, I have been growing a small account and have now reached the point where the FBAR is a consideration. It appears many of you here are dealing with this. I understand how to file and the form appears easy enough, my concern is does filing the FBAR create any headaches for you? Further scrutiny? Increase the odds of an audit? Are there any consequences that come from filing this report? 

I pay my taxes, I'm not trying to cheat. But I prefer to live my life under the radar and want to know what the FBAR exposes me to. I welcome your experiences and opinions on this. 

Thanks again for all the work in this thread.

Which broker can use in Belgium?

This thread is directed to U.S. traders looking for trustworthy brokers outside the U.S.
We call them offshore brokers.

We don’t address the needs of traders in other countries (except, occasionally, Canada) who are looking for brokers beyond their own national borders.

Now that ESMA has stepped up to challenge our own CFTC as the World Forex Police, it will probably become necessary for someone from Europe to open a thread similar to this one, in which to address the interests of European traders desiring to escape from ESMA.

Back to your question – I’m no authority on brokers who welcome traders in Belgium.
But, if I were going to research this question, I would start here – Top Forex Brokers in Belgium | top8forexbrokers

Please note that I am not recommending any of the brokers on that list. I am simply suggesting the list as a starting point for performing your due diligence.