Going offshore to escape the CFTC

As I said previously, the bank information is correct - we receive wires from banks around the globe all the time.

The actual issue is that many inexperienced bankers ignore the intermediary and/or correspondent bank details (or senders fail to provide those details)… incorrectly assuming that they should be able to send directly to the final destination.

To clarify this situation:

1. most banks (US banks, in particular) CANNOT send to our bank… they can ONLY send to the specified intermediary bank
  2. the specified intermediary bank also CANNOT send to our bank… it can ONLY send to the specified correspondent bank
  3. the specified correspondent bank CAN send to our bank, and will do so using the SWIFT code provided

So, if the intermediary and/or correspondent bank is omitted from the wire instruction then the funds either don’t go anywhere, or they get returned as “undeliverable” after being charged around $65.

Hello guys,

Spent some time reading the thread. However I see one mistake. On the first page it says LMFX (Macedonia) — no U.S. clients. I am trading there and I am US citizen.

Appreciate the heads up, I just successfully opened a live account with them, so I can confirm Jack72 is correct, curious to know, how is the execution of trades and withdrawal of funds?

You are welcome here, in this thread, but your attitude is not.

Do some reading here, before you run your mouth, and you will find out who Paul Cullen is.

Thanks, guys. I will make the necessary correction.

Please keep us informed regarding this broker. Do they deserve a spot in Group 1 of our List?

Anyone else with pertinent info, please weigh in.

Hello,

I was guided by a client of ours to that thread, because of a wrong information about the services that we offer to US citizens, but I see that everything is updated now with the proper information. I would to thank Clint for taking his time to make the necessary changes.

Thanks, LMFX.

You are invited to participate in this thread, at any time, as you see fit.

We would appreciate knowing something about you, and about your firm, if you’re willing to share.

Clint,

As a non-US trader it is not clear to me what the issue is with CFTC that make US-traders look for offshore alternatives. Can you help me (brief) to understand it?

Thanks!

Toekan

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if any of these brokers offer New York close/five day week charts?

And Clint thanks for all the work you’ve put into this thread, it’s a real help.

Thanks

Hello everyone and thanks for the invitation Clint! I will take the opportunity to make a very short introduction to our company without flooding the thread with corporate information which can be easily found on our website.

LMFX is an innovative online foreign exchange broker that offers advanced institutional and retail trading conditions to a global audience. We believe in the importance of building strong, secure foundations and the cornerstone of our mission is to provide the full spectrum of cutting-edge trading tools and services that our clients require to succeed in the world’s most liquid market.

We offer 3 types of individual trading accounts and PAMM accounts to our clients. As stated above we do accept US traders.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We are a transparent company and have no problem replying to the traders in public forums.

Very good , thats the things tjat peopleneed toknow all the info from a reps or some one on the trader side of viuw .:23:

Thanks , feel lucky ?

attitude ?

1 I want to know where fund is .
2 How fund handle
3 with natzy style writing , you thing people will make a good choice ? these is friendly remainder so all look better and not over the top , I mean tops
4 who care if jamesbond or the godmustbegrazy on the ceo file !

you have to reread his post inorder to see what its fits .
if he is from the older broker … I know him and his neighbor all together .
these supposed to be me and him as customer and reps , with you involve , " you dont know Paul Cullen b 4 u ran your mouth " means I am facing a monster ? or aceo or rabbit foot ?
Now I have a long list of thinking to do , Thanks clint because your running mouth !
its FUN to be a new bee here @ baby pips , easy to post at much bigger place with seniority intact .

You have six posts, just came in here and already picking a fight with one of our most valued members.

Do you know that people spent their time to write these posts so that you can learn from them? Pay some respect and don’t act like a child.

Chill dude, you might need our advice in the future. Do you want it to be good advice?

By the way, it is ‘Nazi’ and not ‘Natzi’. Next to the fact that it is insulting I have no clue what style they used in writing. I do know that they wrote in German not English.

Hi Babypipsrocks,

I also see that LMFX also confirmed the information and the first page is updated. I was a bit confused when I saw that they are not accepting US citizens.

From my personal point of view execution speed is quite good. I have done only one withdrawal so far and it was done in less than 24 hours from their side, but it took 4 days to come back to my credit card.

“Brief” will require cutting a lot of corners, but here goes:

[B]1.[/B] The CFTC (U.S. regulator) was established by Congress to regulate commodity futures (as their name indicates).

[B]2.[/B] When retail forex began to rise in popularity in the U.S., the CFTC wanted control of it, as well, arguing that spot forex is really just a thinly-disguised futures product.

[B]3.[/B] A fight ensued between the CFTC and other players in the financial arena over the CFTC’s claim of jurisdiction over spot forex.

[B]4.[/B] The CFTC’s real motive (which they have never admitted, and probably never will admit) is to destroy retail off-exchange forex trading. It’s the “off-exchange” aspect of retail forex that they hate. The CFTC wants nothing less than to force all spot forex trading (retail and institutional) onto a futures-style exchange, with contract specifications and clearing procedures dictated by the regulator.

[B]5.[/B] Phase One of the CFTC’s assault on spot forex trading in general, and retail spot forex trading in particular, was to decree that spot forex leverage would be limited to 10:1. Most of us believe that they never expected to achieve a 10:1 limit, but rather used that threat to get the 50:1 limit they really sought (and achieved). In addition, the CFTC banned hedging in forex accounts, and required a first-in-first-out (FIFO) order processing protocol. By imposing these burdens on U.S. retail forex traders, the CFTC made enemies of a large segment of the trading community.

[B]6.[/B] Phase Two involved prohibiting U.S. forex brokers from hosting U.S. clients in their offshore branches. Example: FXCM-UK was prohibited from having U.S. clients in their U.K. branch, where the 10:1 leverage restriction, the hedging ban, and the FIFO rule did not apply to customer accounts. Many U.S. traders who had moved their accounts to their brokers’ offshore branches had those accounts closed and “repatriated” to their brokers’ U.S. branches (where CFTC rules applied).

[B]7.[/B] Phase Three involved strong-arm tactics used against many foreign governments, in the form of agreements known as Memoranda of Understanding (MoU’s). These agreements required (among many other provisions) that the foreign governments coerced into signing them would enforce the U.S. CFTC rules and regulations on all U.S. residents who trade forex with brokers in those countries. The result of these MoU’s (in most cases) has been that forex brokers in MoU-signatory countries choose to exclude U.S. residents as clients, rather than deal with the burdensome problem of having two separate sets of Terms and Conditions — one for U.S. residents, and another for everyone else.

[B]8.[/B] Bottom line: the CFTC is strangling off-exchange spot forex in the U.S. The number of U.S. forex brokers has declined from dozens to about six, in the 5 years that we have been operating this thread.
[B]
9.[/B] As freedom-loving U.S. forex traders rebel against the tyranny of the CFTC, by finding offshore brokers with advantageous Terms and Conditions who will deal with us as clients, the CFTC works to defeat our efforts. If MoU’s cannot be implemented in countries like SVG, the CFTC enlists the services of other U.S. financial regulators to make money transfers to and from banks and brokers in those countries difficult or impossible for U.S. residents. This assault on the banking aspect of offshore trading is rapidly becoming Phase Four in the CFTC’s war against off-exchange spot forex trading.

Okay, that wasn’t very brief. But, it’s about as brief as I can make it, without totally distorting the facts.

Taxes are not the focus of this war between the CFTC and the American people. Taxes are calculated and collected by the IRS, a totally different agency. U.S. citizens (whether they are U.S. residents, or not) are required to pay taxes on their worldwide income, wherever earned. This applies to forex profits, just like any other form of income, whether earned through trading with a U.S. broker, or with an offshore broker. The IRS doesn’t care, either way.

The IRS is not at war with offshore forex accounts. The CFTC is.

1 Like

Nice little refresher on the CFTC, well done Clint.

:18:

You are entitled to apply your own definition of ‘brief’. :wink: I understand it now, thank you!

Sounds like CFTC is carrying water to the sea to me. They are only pushing OTC out of the US. I am sure that some companies in less regulated countries are more than willing to act as new home to those traders. :smiley:

Thanks man!

In the Netherlands the Dutch IRS didn’t consider forex trading as investing so normal taxrates should apply. Our awesome Surpreme court did decide differently! Forex is investing, so wealth tax rates must apply, which is 1,2% over your nett assets worth on january 1. :wink:

So whatever you earn during the year, if you all spent it it is taxfree income. :D:59:

Thank you, sir.

That’s precisely what this thread is all about. The best of those companies (offshore brokers) are listed in Group 1 of our Offshore Broker List.

It’s interesting to follow the “geography” of the potential offshore brokers we have vetted over the years:

Initially, we identified offshore brokers (willing to deal with U.S. residents) in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Then, one by one, those brokers fell by the wayside.

Then, we started to find potential prospects in the Mediterranean region (Mauritius, Seychelles, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar), but many of them have been bullied into abandoning U.S. clients.

Now, the Caribbean region is proving to be a good locale for forward-thinking, freedom-loving brokers to set up shop — our three Trusted Brokers, and others, are domiciled in the Caribbean region. And if the governments in those countries decide to start catering to the CFTC, rather than to their own financial industry, then brokers in those countries who want to serve the U.S. market can move again.

As Tallinex has pointed out, there still are places in the world where the heavy hand of the American nanny-state is not (yet) smothering free enterprise in the forex business. In the Pacific region, Forex Broker Inc. is thriving in The Marshall Islands, and there is at least one forex broker domiciled in Vanuatu.

For newcomers to the offshore debate:

Just to be clear, Toekan’s comments, above, pertain to Netherlands, not to the U.S.

For U.S. taxpayers, forex profits are treated either as ordinary income (just like wages), or as a special form of capital gains (if so designated, by the taxpayer). Very special rules apply regarding this choice as to how forex gains (and/or losses) are to be treated for tax purposes. When significant dollar amounts (profits or losses) are involved, this choice should be made with the advice of a [I][B]competent tax adviser who is an expert in (1) trader taxation and (2) offshore taxation.[/B][/I]

Simple method to escape BS rules. Open your account with ATC Brokers here in US. They allow Hedging, NO FIFO, or the other BS. They have their own MT4 platform to get around the BS. Also if you open an account through them with another broker, they will give you back most of your fees. I love them and would not trade with any other.

Truly appreciate that info Jack72, I was really searching high and low for a decent broker that offered 1:1000 right from the get go besides Tradersway. A bit of peace of mind to have a decent 2nd option as far as high leverage goes. That being said I appreciate all the brokers in our current line up and I have an account with every broker on our accepting US residents list and will share all my experience as needed.

Clint, appreciate all your persistent effort to keep the thread clean of garbage posters and encouraging useful posters.