Going offshore to escape the CFTC

you are allowed to have 3 100k accounts or 6 50k accounts but you must do the challenge for each new funded account.

btw im thinking with all the publicity this firm is getting i bet they are making a boat load of money from fail challenges

2 Likes

True, but those folks would probably be losing more trading their own capital anyway. The fact still remains, most people have no idea how to trade.

2 Likes

Exactly right.

Exactly right, again. And traders can use a trade copier to continue trading their personal accounts if they want. But, I do see that this option may not be suitable for some traders, especially if they struggle with their trading.

As SmallPaul mentioned, this is with (3) accounts. They give you the option to combine accounts, allowing you to trade with 300K. You can also scale up the account(s) at 25% every 4 months with no ceiling, if you manage to meet the requirements for thatā€¦but it is not mandatory.

Indeed.

Exactly right, again.

1 Like

With that being said, I do believe that those of us jumping through the hoops to trade offshore are doing so because we make money.

1 Like

Right. Iā€™ve seen many people do 0.01 lot trades for the remaining days, once they reach their target.

One would hope so. As I say, making money is the easy part. The hard part is learning how not to give it all back. Most new traders fail in the long-run, even if they are reasonably consistent, because they lack proper capital and risk management skills and eventually use too much leverage in an effort to expedite account growth.

Just to add my couple cents into the discussion:

1. I donā€™t mind the FTMO talk because itā€™s an offshore prop trading account, which in essence is what this thread is all about. But too much FTMO discussion would definitely need a new thread - perhaps even linked into post #1 up top if everyone agrees?

2. My issue with prop firms in general is that itā€™s almost like having a job. You have rules and regulations you need to follow to keep your job - and thatā€™s one of the main reasons I started trading 5 years ago - to never have a job ever again. LOL

3. Prop firms (and FTMO) is 100% not for everyone. One of those dreaded rules is the mandatory 10 days of new trades. What if I want to take a break and go sit on a beach for a month? Iā€™m sure they let you take vacations - but itā€™s a valid point. And if you trade specific instruments only on the D1 chart - youā€™ll have a hard time getting 10 new trades in a month, unless you stack positions, or add .01 positions every day just to reach your goal - which means you would need to change and adapt your trading style just to fit the prop firm, which some people might not want or be capable of doing.

4. but on the Pro side - for those who hate dealing with all the crappy USA rules about trading - it is a viable alternative to having a personal offshore account. And yes, getting a trade copier is also an option so you can have your cake and eat it too.

5. Also, just because you sign with a prop firm, doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t leave. Itā€™s your choice. You could treat the 100k prop account like a business loan of sorts, and if you are capable of trading successfully, use your 70% to build your own accounts and go off on your own later on - once maybe the USA trading rules change some day. Maybe. Or not.

4 Likes

great post :+1:

1 Like

I agree. Some good points being made, especially about wanting to take time off. As a scalper, it is a non-issue for me to get trades in, and for sure, 20 days each month should be enough to take off, but it would still be nice to be able to not have to worry about getting trades in.

In truth, a decent trader would likely be able to acquire enough capital from the funded account fairly quickly, to have a decent-sized personal account, and be able to break away whenever he/she wanted to. Even so, you can always go back to getting a funded account if you wanted, also.

1 Like

They mentioned there are broker limits for US traders, does anyone know if LMAX is available to US traders?

2 Likes

LMAX is what they offer for US traders.

We offer all US clients the best trading solution in the form of our MT4 accounts powered by data-feed directly from LMAX liquidity provider. We give you, our trader, the best account conditions with super-raw spreads, no markup and a very low commission.
ā€“What brokers do you offer? - FTMO.com

1 Like

ok thanks! After reviewing the detailsā€¦ since thereā€™s no out of pocket costs besides the evaluation fee, it seems like an interesting option for some.

2 Likes

But a typical month contains 4 weeks, and so a typical trading week contains 5 days, especially for me in trading mostly US indices.

So thatā€™s basically 2 weeks of required trading, and 2 weeks off. Love the 2 week vacation every month, and I mainly daytrade so 10 days of new trades is for the most part OK too - but if I ever decide to swing trade on the daily chart - not a chance I make my trading days quota unless I stack .01 positions just for the numbers game part (which if Iā€™m doing my job right, Iā€™ll get a 10 day swing trend once a month at the minimum)

But Iā€™m quite some time away from trading indices on the D1, so I could definitely treat this like a temp job trading for a prop firm (which it actually is), deal with the time quota and use their 100k to build my own account with Interactive Brokers if I wanted to, then leave if I wanted, and come back if needed.

Still doing my research. Lots of good info.

2 Likes

Yes, I confirmed in chat last night. I believe the US restriction is LMAX is your only choice. Thatā€™s good as LMAX is one of the best options globally, IMO

2 Likes

I have seen other traders comment about this, and do just that. I might say that for long-term trades, you might consider doing that with your personal account, but I believe that the swaps for LMAX are a lot better. I personally do not pay much attention to that, though, since I am in and out of the market very quickly.

1 Like

I agree with the last quote above. The prop trading option being discussed here is a viable way of escaping the CFTCā€™s stranglehold on retail forex trading. As such, in my view, it conforms to the focus and objective of this thread.

3 Likes

ok the thread is alive and kicking so whoā€™s gonna be the first to dive in with FTMO

1 Like

sounds like grandpipmaster has already started the process.

2 Likes

Unless something changes, I also plan on doing the challenge. I just do not know when that will be because I am just so busy with other things at the moment.

A few things that I wanted to mention about FTMO:

1. I was originally looking at the 50K Aggressive plan, but determined that it does not actually provide any benefit over the 100K Normal plan. Maybe someone can prove me wrong on that.

2. My plan is to eventually combine (3) 100K accounts, just for the additional padding, allowing me to have 15K daily max loss. This would allow more breathing room and heavily-reduce any chances of losing the account.

1 Like

Correct me if iā€™m wrong if one of those 3 account exceed 5k drawdown at 5pm close you lose that account so how will that give you 15k max daily lost

14999.97 :upside_down_face: