Going offshore to escape the CFTC

As much as we despise Gary “The Weasel” Gensler for what appears to be his dictatorial one-man war on crypto, Gensler is not acting alone. The destruction playing out before our very eyes in the crypto-sphere is not the work of one lunatic SEC chairman who has gone off the rails.

Instead, Gensler is merely part of a much larger government agenda to eliminate crypto as a competitor to the government’s own forthcoming digital currency.

According to Jim Rickards, an analyst familiar to many people in the financial world, the Federal Reserve’s digital currency is closer to implementation than many people believe. It will be referred to technically as a Central Bank Digital Currency, or CBDC. Jim refers to it as “Biden Bucks,” and he says that cryptocurrency will have to be banned in the United States in order to pave the way for the introduction of Biden Bucks.

Yesterday, Jim Rickards sent an email to his subscribers laying out the situation in detail. I considered posting a summary of Jim’s email as part of our discussion of the problems Gary Gensler is creating for American users of crypto – but, I concluded that any summarization would delete important detail.

So, with the indulgence of Jim Rickards and Paradigm Press, the publisher of The Daily Reckoning, I will post the entire piece, unedited. It’s long, but well worth your time to read.

2 Likes

“Biden Bucks” and the War on Crypto

Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Dear Clint,

I’ve written a lot about central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) including the U.S. dollar version that I call “Biden Bucks.” The threat from CBDCs is enormous.

They are digital (but not true cryptocurrencies), which means they are programmable. The Treasury and Fed can use the CBDC ledger to track your purchases, look at your political contributions, look at your religious affiliations and basically profile you as an enemy of the state or “ultra MAGA.”

Your “Biden Bucks” could be made to stop working at the gas pump once you’ve purchased a certain amount of gasoline in a week. How’s that for control?

And in a world of “Biden Bucks,” the government will even know your physical whereabouts at the point of purchase.

But it gets even worse…

CBCD + AI = Nightmare

This profiling can be combined with artificial intelligence (AI) and generative pretrained transformer platforms (GPT) to practically read your mind.

From there, the government can freeze your bank accounts, impose taxes and penalties and put you on a “use it or lose it” fiscal policy stimulus plan that forces you to spend your money within 30 days or have it partially confiscated.

If any of this sounds extreme, fantastical or otherwise far-fetched, it’s not. It’s already happening around the world.

China is already using its CBDC to deny travel and educational opportunities to political dissidents. Canada seized the bank accounts and crypto accounts of nonviolent trucker protesters last winter.

These kinds of “social credit” systems and political suppression will be even easier to conduct when “Biden Bucks” are completely rolled out in the U.S.

The Associated Press actually tried to fact-check me, saying that my claims are false, that the digital dollar has nothing to do with social control. The whole project is completely innocent and you can trust the government.

But even the general manager of the Bank for International Settlements, which is known as the “central bank of central banks,” has admitted that CBDCs would give central banks “absolute control” of everyone’s money — and the “technology to enforce that.”

Even The Economist has announced the rise of government-backed digital currencies, warning they will “shift power from individuals to the state.”

Let’s just say The Economist isn’t known for engaging in conspiracy theories.

No Competition Allowed

And this is central to the CBDC plan: As the CBDC dollar is being implemented, it’s important for the government to take away your alternatives. The three main alternatives are physical cash, gold and cryptocurrencies.

Cash is under attack through multiple channels including “no cash accepted” signs at public events, anti-money laundering rules and simple inflation that might allow you to hold cash, but it won’t be worth very much.

(In 1969, the U.S. abolished the $500 bill, leaving the $100 bill as the highest denomination. The $100 bill of 1969 is only worth $12 in today’s purchasing power because of inflation. Give it time and it won’t be worth much more than a $5 bill.)

And cryptocurrencies are also under full-scale attack. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has sued Binance, the world’s biggest cryptocurrency exchange, and its founder Changpeng Zhao, alleging they operated a “web of deception.”

Among the 13 other counts in the lawsuit are allegations that Binance inflated trading volumes, mishandled customer funds and misled investors about market-surveillance controls. Just one day later, the SEC also sued the Coinbase crypto exchange for failure to register as an exchange under U.S. law.

During the wave of bank failures in early March, the FDIC closed Signature Bank, which operated a cryptocurrency portal called Signet in addition to normal banking activities. That came days after the failure of Silvergate Bank, which also bridged the normal banking world to the world of crypto.

None of this is random.

Governments Never Wanted to Kill the Blockchain — Just to Control It

The U.S. has opened a full-scale war on crypto. Silvergate, Signature, Binance and Coinbase are just the first victims. They won’t be the last. Crypto has to go if CBDCs are going to be fully implemented.

Many advocates of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have shared a naïve belief that their digital assets are “beyond the reach of governments,” “cannot be traced” and “cannot be frozen or seized.”

They’ve learned otherwise. Blockchain does not exist in the ether (despite the name of one cryptocurrency) and it does not reside on Mars. Blockchain depends on critical infrastructure including servers, telecommunications networks, the banking system and the power grid, all of which are subject to government control.

As I’ve argued for years, governments don’t want to kill the blockchain upon which cryptos are based. They want to control it.

The fact is governments enjoy a monopoly on money creation and they’re not about to surrender that monopoly to cryptocurrencies.

But governments know they cannot stop the technology platforms on which the cryptocurrencies are based. Blockchain technology has come too far to turn back. That’s why they’re co-opting it.

What Happens if CBDC’s Get Hacked?

Here’s one issue with Biden Bucks that hasn’t been adequately addressed: How can you trust them to keep your money secure once you are forced to convert it to a traceable digital currency?

Hackers routinely target crypto architecture and steal money. What happens if that digital currency gets hacked?

This is from a 2022 Federal Reserve paper:

Threats to existing payment services — including operational disruptions and cybersecurity risks — would apply to a CBDC as well. Any dedicated infrastructure for a CBDC would need to be extremely resilient to such threats, and the operators of the CBDC infrastructure would need to remain vigilant as bad actors employ ever more sophisticated methods and tactics. Designing appropriate defenses for CBDC could be particularly difficult because a CBDC network could potentially have more entry points than existing payment services.

This part is truly terrifying. To repeat:

Designing appropriate defenses for CBDC could be particularly difficult because a CBDC network could potentially have more entry points than existing payment services.

If bad actors can already hack crypto platforms with ease, what’s to stop them from hacking a CBDC network with more entry points?

You might not be able to fight back easily in the world of “Biden Bucks,” but there is one nondigital, nonhackable, nontraceable form of money you can still get your hands on.

It’s called gold. Get some before it’s too late.

Regards,

Jim Rickards
for The Daily Reckoning
[email protected].

Thank you for reading The Daily Reckoning! We greatly value your questions and comments. Please send all feedback to [email protected].

James G. Rickards is the editor of Strategic Intelligence. He is an American lawyer, economist, and investment banker with 35 years of experience working in capital markets on Wall Street. He is the author of The New York Times bestsellers Currency Wars and The Death of Money.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @Clint. This all sounds about right… pretty much what we have all suspected; heavy interest groups backing Gensler’s plays, paving the way for CBDC, for all of the obvious reasoning that we feared.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to Gensler, and how many friends he truly has backing him. I say interesting, but it may very well be upsetting, depending on how it plays out.

I think, for those that understand just how much wider crypto adoption could disrupt global economies and government control etc., it is not surprising to see events like these unfolding.

Personally, I believe that this is the inevitable path that humanity will eventually take, should we not destroy ourselves first. First will come a global currency, likely in the form of crypto or something similar; I do not see gold being the standard, since we will eventually mine it from space rocks, if we haven’t started to already. Eventually, a universal income will likely be put into place and then, beyond that, moving away from any sort of monetary exchange.

I could be wrong about the last part, but I suspect that we will eventually devolve back to a barter system. I think this is true, even once we have reached interstellar travel and are coexisting with other ET races etc…

But this is getting way off-topic. In any event, it is only a matter of time until the large interest groups become fully-exposed and lose all control and we finally start to move in an direction that is better for the planet and our species, giving priority to positive well-being.

1 Like

Still no response from Juno support. Email inquiry was sent on Sunday at 7.30 PM.

To be fair, though, I have an account manager with Axos for one of my business accounts, and they are just as bad. Customer support just doesn’t carry much value these days.

I wonder if Robinhood is this bad. Let’s see…

EDIT: So it seems that Robinhood direct support is not accessible without an account. Was hoping to find out some information prior to opening an account, that is not available on their FAQ site. Frustrating choice.

1 Like

As for non-crypto exchanges, I prefer robinhood, but I have to say that Juno looks really good and offers more of a banking service than Robinhood. not a bad choice for a bank account of $100,000 or less

1 Like

Crypto Firms Should Start Preparing for MiCA ‘Now–Maybe Even Yesterday’: Chainalysis

Companies need to start preparing for the European Union’s new crypto laws now, even though they won’t be applied until the end of next year, Chainalysis’s head of policy for Europe said during a recent webinar.

Markets in Crypto Assets (MiCA) was published in the EU’s official journal last week, setting the clock ticking before it’s officially applied, creating new obligations on crypto-asset providers and stablecoin issuers serving customers in the region.

But Janet Ho, head of policy for Europe at Chainalysis, warned both businesses and regulators not to be complacent and start readying for MiCA as soon as possible.

“These are the preparations you want to start now – maybe even yesterday,” she said.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/crypto-firms-start-preparing-mica-134918002.html

What is MiCA? The European Union’s Landmark Crypto Regulation Explained

Crypto firms in Europe now face tighter rules as well as easier access to multiple markets. It’s expected to become law in July 2023.

Markets in Crypto Assets (MiCA) is a piece of European Union regulation that will likely become law in July 2023, with some of its rules taking effect in July 2024 and others by January 2025. It is part of a wider digital finance package that has been put together within the EU, and has been hailed as the most significant crypto-specific regulation anywhere in the world. But what does it involve?

What does MiCA apply to?

-From what I have seen so far, they seem to offer very similar banking services. I would be curious to know what you have found about it.

Other than the limits, Robinhood seems to be based entirely in the US, with their own stock, crypto and card services, in lieu of relying solely on 3rd-parties. Both are partnered with an existing, US-based banking system.

I am still trying to make sense of it, but it seems as if you can receive up to $2 million in FDIC insurance through Robinhood, through their various banking partners.

Juno is basically operating in the dark. There are definitely pros and cons to that. Those limits are hard to ignore, certainly. I still think Juno would serve me more as a go-between. I’m just not sure how I would feel leaving funds in their accounts. With Robinhood, I wouldn’t necessarily feel the same way, although, I would still treat it as more of a go-between.

1 Like

Currently watching excerpts from the recent US hearing on crypto regulation; the overall mood seems promising, at least from this video:

1 Like

I mean Juno offers more banking services like bank transfer and wire tranfer to other people or companies and a nice interest etc. they use as their banking partner

1 Like

Their awards are definitely good. I think that they are limited up to a certain amount, as well.

From what I have been reading, bank transfers should also be possible with Robinhood(?)

1 Like

Makes me wonder if we even need juno if we can go direct to https://www.getevolved.com/

1 Like

I already looked. If I recall, the terms/offering were not as good.

1 Like

ok, that’s the difference that makes using Juno a better choice.

so who do you prefer robinhood or juno?

1 Like

I am still researching. Probably, my opinion is still the same; pros and cons to both. Maybe using both is an option. If I had to choose one over the other, I would probably have to wait until I can gather more information before I can give any definitive answer. Unfortunately, it looks like I will need to set up an account before I can do that.

It’s not a problem to do that, I just wanted some clarification on whether or not there were any differences for business accounts. Typically, personal and business services have different terms, costs, limits etc. associated with them, and I have not been able to find any good information on their FAQ about any of that.

If a friend or family member were asking me for advice, I would probably tell them to go with Robinhood over Juno at the moment, only because it seems like the safer choice, based on what I have seen so far.

1 Like

Only to yourself / your external bank

1 Like

Thanks. That does not seem like a problem for me, personally. Being able to send to your bank account or crypto wallet is good enough for me. If I need to send money elsewhere, I can send from those locations. I was still planning on using traditional banking and treating these services more as a go-between, anyway. And to on/off crypto, of course.

1 Like

My opinion is that Robinhood wants to be more like a broker dealer like they are now, where you can trade multiple assets like stocks, etc., while Juno wants to be more like a bank with crypto as an added bonus.

1 Like

One thing that I will say about dealing with middleman-companies that are essentially acting as a proxy, you may find that when issues arise, the companies that are not handling their own services will not only fail hard when it comes to timely resolutions, but they will also be lacking any meaningful support. This can be terribly frustrating.

The lacking control can more-easily lead to lock-outs and freezes, as well, since you are dealing with multiple companies, which can result in an inability to access your own funds.

All the more reason to treat such companies as go-betweens, and to withdraw profits as much as possible in order to further-mitigate risk.

1 Like

The crypto debate also has a political component.

Crypto Leaders Praise Draft GOP Bill, Dems Raise Concerns

For the second time in a week, crypto executives assembled before Congress to lend their support to a draft bill that would regulate digital assets in an increasingly hostile regulatory environment.

In a hearing before the House Financial Services Committee on Tuesday, executives from large crypto firms like Ava Labs and Circle shared their views on the Digital Asset Market Structure Discussion Draft, authored by members of the committee as well as the House Agriculture Committee.

Jeremy Allaire, the CEO of Circle, spoke favorably about the bill’s provisions for regulating stablecoins. He said they would create more support for digital dollars that would help the U.S. maintain its global competitiveness.

“The steps that the US government takes in the coming years will have a significant impact on dollar competitiveness in the decades that follow,” Allaire said in his opening remarks. “Failing to take the appropriate steps could have devastating consequences for our country.”

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), the chairman of the committee and a key supporter of the bill, said the hearing was “years in the making,” and said the bill would adjust the existing regulatory system around crypto assets.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/crypto-leaders-praise-draft-gop-213712514.html