Going offshore to escape the CFTC

-Or keep things simple so that no matter what you are required to use, you can still trade profitably. Experienced traders should be able to adapt easily.

2 Likes

Quant/ Programmer versus at keys trader is a big difference. For strictly chart based real time traders, I would imagine the programming language used by the software package wouldn’t matter at all.

For people that write programs, it is disruptive when an entire language is no longer available (e.g., Jforex, MQL4)

2 Likes

Yes. I think that goes without saying.

1 Like

In the past year or so, CryptoRocket has started taking U.S. traders again.

2 Likes

Not sure what to think about that. Kind of feel betrayed at this point. :grin:

1 Like

Have the regulators turn on protecting customer funds, that was the goal, I thought.

CFTC Seeks Public Comment on a Proposal on Investment of Customer Funds

Washington, D.C. — The Commodity Futures Trading Commission today issued, for public comment, a proposed rule on the Investment of Customer Funds by Futures Commission Merchants and Derivatives Clearing Organizations.

The proposal would amend the Commission’s regulations governing the safeguarding and investment by futures commission merchants (FCMs) and derivatives clearing organizations of funds held for the benefit of customers engaging in futures, foreign futures, and cleared swaps transactions. The proposed amendments would specifically revise the list of permitted investments in Regulation 1.25 and introduce certain related changes and specifications. The proposed amendments would also eliminate the requirement in the Commission’s regulations that a depository holding customer funds must provide the Commission with read-only electronic access to such accounts for the FCM to treat the funds held in the accounts as customer segregated fund accounts.

The comment period will be open for 75 days after publication on CFTC.gov, with a closing date of January 17, 2024.

Comments must be in writing and may be submitted electronically through the CFTC Comments online process.

1 Like

I do not see this impacting customers in any meaningful way. At least, not in any way that we would hope for.

The role(s) of various, regulatory groups in this space needs to be completely broken down, simplified and rewritten, in my opinion.

They can start by limiting jurisdictional oversight and enforcement to US entities-only, and to not overstep by trying to regulate businesses that operate on foreign soil; let the rest of the world handle their own business and enforce their own rules/laws without your intervention.

Make it clear that US investors that rightfully and lawfully choose to opt-out of the so-called US protections by electing to invest in overseas programs, businesses and investments et. al, do so without any of the so-called protections and/or risk of US regulatory involvement, so that non-US companies can service said customers without fear of being subjected to overly-burdensome compliance requirements and enforcement procedures etc…

This whole idea of ‘oh, you service our citizens, so now we own your ace’ is total nonsense and should be eradicated.

When you think about it, it is little different from a US citizen taking a vacation to Paris and eating at a cafe, and since that cafe is now servicing a US citizen, then they are legally required to collect and verify the identity of all US residents that eat there, in perpetuity, while being subjected to various reporting and compliance requirements for food and safety, set forth by the US Health Department, OSHA etc…

If the cafe refuses, then they get slapped with massive fines and lawsuits etc., which may ultimately force them to shutter their business. If the cafe is bullied into a corner, then they will two options:

1. Agree to serve their new master, reduce their profit margins and pray each night that they do not mess something up or overlook something.
  2. Check the identity of every customer to ensure that they are not a US citizen, and then refusing to service any US citizen that tries to buy a croissant (while also reducing their profit margins and praying each night that they do not mess something up or overlook something).

It really is complete and utter nonsense. The world needs to wake up and put their foot down on this kind of thing.

3 Likes

It looks like Coinbase is now offering Crypto Futures. I received this email a day or so ago, maybe Coinbase will survive the overzealous U.S. regulators after all. but it’s Crypto Futures :point_left: was that part of the deal.

A MESSAGE FROM COINBASE FINANCIAL MARKETS

Futures trading from Coinbase Financial Markets is here, See if you’re eligible.

Access leverage, hedge your risk, and diversify your portfolio by trading futures on the Coinbase Advanced platform.

If you’re eligible to trade, you’ll enjoy an introductory fee of 0.05%.
See if you’re eligible

Futures trading is currently available on web only

1 Like

Firstly, thank you to everyone part of keeping this thread active. Selfishly I am requesting advice about “best offshore brokers” after a long absence.

I am currently with Oanda, but still have an open account with Tradersway. My plan is to keep any offshore account under $10K to avoid any paperwork with the US Treasury by hopefully withdrawing before reaching that amount.

My question: A) is Tradersway still trusted enough to allow withdrawals under $10k?
B) is Kraken trusted enough to purchase bitcoin for funding the TW account?
C) should I forget TW while opening an account elsewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If a broker no longer accepts U.S traders, I leave them. That should answer questions A & C.

Like Coinbase, Karken is no different from any other crypto exchange

Thank you for the response. Of the three trusted brokers Coinexx, Eaglefx and LQDFX, do you have a preference? Or any other offshore broker for that matter?

Eaglefx and LQDFX

2 Likes

EagleFX informed me they no longer accept US residents.

2 Likes

What, not another one.

Eaglefx have confirm they no longer accept U.S. Traders.

Me- Is it true you guys no longer accept U.S. Traders

Eaglefx- Correct, We do not currently accept users from your country on our platform because of various restrictions in some countries.

1 Like

I saw your post, James.
Will edit the List on page one, later this week.
Thanks for staying on top of things.

2 Likes

Edits have been made to posts #1, #2, and #3 reflecting the removal of EagleFX from Group 1.

Eagle was on our List for 4 years, and was designated a Trusted Broker for almost all of that time.

There are now only 8 brokers in Group 1. We need to give serious thought to replacing the brokers we have lost, before our List suffers further attrition.

3 Likes

Great thread, great write-up.

1 Like

https://athensmarkets.co/

https://www.swaymarkets.com/

https://www.longhornfx.com/

1 Like

FWIW… account creation/funding went seamlessly with LQDFX.

1 Like