Going offshore to escape the CFTC

Based on my personal experience with LQDFX, they are on my list of trusted brokers

2 Likes

I was unaware that Athens Markets had blocked my account until I received this email today. Strange

[Athens Markets] Your account has been unblocked

Account Unblocked Notification

We are pleased to inform you that your account has been successfully unblocked.

If you have any questions or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards, Athens Markets Team

1 Like

-I was never even able to get a response from their support, so I dropped them from my list of potentials.

1 Like

thank you for responding.

1 Like

What’s the problem with Bulgaria? For a few years I traded with LMFX, which was registered in North Macedonia but had physical offices in Bulgaria. In fact, I have wondered whether some of the back-office people who worked for LMFX might work for LQDFX now. Anyway, LMFX generally did O.K. by me until they stopped working with U.S. clients.

1 Like

I owe all Bulgarians an apology as I mistakenly confused it with Belarus.

Bulgaria is part of the EU, Belarus is not.

1 Like

Tiktok ban may also allow Executive Branch broad powers to ban websites.
No fan of Tiktok, but concerning that X and others may be next.
Watching for implications to Forex brokers as well
Interested in others’ views on topic

2 Likes

Unlikely to happen, unless X is owned by Chinese, Russian, or other country that considered enemy. Tiktok won’t be banned if owned by company in EU

It’s a possibility, but this ban is really more about a security threat and will probably not extend to banning offshore brokers’ websites

1 Like

The U.S. government has authority over .com domains. They used it a few years back to shut down the website of Iranian state TV, which was using a .com domain.

I don’t think it’s impossible that this could happen to this website, as it is also a .com.

Last December, when FX Choice notified us of their changes, and I needed to go through a 2FA procedure with them in the course of withdrawing my funds, they sent me a text message, which I did not receive. I had had them send it to my main cell phone number, which is with a U.S. carrier. They told me that some U.S. carriers block the SMS messages they send. Fortunately, I also have service with a carrier in a different country. I had them send the SMS message there, and I immediately received it.

If the U.S. government gets cell carriers to block SMS messages from brokers they disapprove of, it seems to me not inconceivable that they would block a website that discusses using such brokers.

We might have to change the name of this thread literally if they don’t take it down, Going Offshore to escape the U.S. government

1 Like

In my experience, blocking access is an inconvenience and only works for people that are not motivated enough to employ workarounds.

2 Likes

Sean Davis of The Federalist says the U.S. government does not want to ban TikTok — they want to seize control of the surveillance and data mining functions of TikTok.

“TikTok isn’t going to be banned, because neither the CCP-run Chinese government nor the CCP-owned U.S. government wants to lose such a valuable tool for spying on Americans and poisoning the minds of their children. Instead, the corrupt U.S. intelligence bureaucracy wants control of TikTok, which is why it included the divestment mandate."

posted on X by Sean Davis of The Federalist

Regarding your concerns that this thread might be banned, be aware that our work is archived off-site, away from this website and away from its servers. If our List and discussions come under attack, we can reemerge relatively unscathed in another thread on this site, or in a completely different venue.

4 Likes

Good to know

I miss FXChoice, are they closing shop for good?

As we were talking about a week or so ago, I went to the Fxchoice website and found this. Could something like this stop unregulated or lightly regulated brokers as we see with FxChoice from dealing in cryptos?

BTW: Thanks to the recent posts on FX Choice, I remember people talking about them going out of business, and I saw this on their website, and maybe that’s why people think they are.

Crypto transactions are coming to an end

Announcement from 05/12/2023

Please note that some older news announcements may now be out of date and not currently accurate.

The FSC, the regulator and license issuer for FXChoice, has barred the company from accepting deposits or issuing withdrawals in crypto starting next year. FXChoice sincerely apologises to all its clients for the inconvenience these restrictions will cause.

What is changing:

• Crypto withdrawals will soon become unavailable. Exchanging crypto for traditional currencies and vice versa is also going away. If clients have funds in crypto accounts/wallets at FXChoice, the company strongly recommends that they withdraw them before 26 December.

Clients can sign in to my.myfxchoice.com, check the balance on all Live accounts and Wallets, and go to Withdrawal to claim their funds.

• Starting 12 December, FXChoice will not be accepting any new crypto deposits.

If you have questions or need help, FXChoice encourages you to contact the company using any of the channels via its site, including live chat, email or its ticketing system.

1 Like

I think they are closing shop or still waiting for their license, on their website, the option for deposit is remove, only withdrawal available

Screenshot 2024-03-18 142823

1 Like

The FSC already licensed and regulated them, so the question arises, if they are going out of business, is it because they are unable to accept crypto for deposits and withdrawals?

As we have seen how Metatrader pulled us off guard, this makes me wonder if what’s happening at FXCHOICE is a glimpse at the future of offshore brokers and cryptos.

1 Like

Didn’t you just post above that FSC just barred them

See above post

1 Like