Haptic the Headless Chicken

My broker OANDA sent me this just now, I trade with 10:1 leverage and wide stops so I think I will ignore it. That said I might move my stops to break even before that date on my GBPUSD short.

Due to the anticipated volatility caused by Brexit, price movements may be significant. At market close on 12 October 2019, to help ensure you are more insulated from such potential movements, we will be lowering the maximum leverage available on the following instruments:
Temporary maximum leverage 30:1

GBP/CAD GBP/NZD GBP/CHF
GBP/HKD GBP/SGD XAU/GBP
UK 100 UK 10Y Gilt

These adjustments are of a temporary nature, and former leverage levels will be restored as soon as possible.

Please be aware that whilst the following pairs are not affected by the temporary leverage changes, they could be reduced to 30:1 leverage due to any spike in volatility, any substantial increase in GBP traded volumes or market risk with little or no notice:

GBP/USD GBP/JPY GBP/AUD
EUR/GBP

As a result of this change you may need to close trades or add funds to your account or risk a possible margin closeout if you currently have open position(s) with higher levels of leverage and do not have enough funds in your account to cover the increased margin requirements.

That’s interesting. A little scary to receive, actually. :scream:

1 Like

I’m getting hammered. Everything i have is risk off really:

I’m willing to sit through it. I think the EURJPY short might get taken out soon though. I don’t know how to manage a situation like this.

The markets seem to be in a rotation between risk-on, risk-off. From my dashboard view AUD and NZD are bearish - not at their maximum, but still indicating risk-off. However, JPY is equally bearish, suggesting risk-on. USD is somewhat bullish, suggesting risk-on but without any great conviction.

GBP is a run-away bull but that’s more down to the Brexit issue than anything global, and EUR and CHF are undependable as a result of their close interaction with GBP.

This gives a very unclear picture. Add to this the average 8-week W1 bar overlaps across the 28 important pair charts, with only 3 charts showing energetic movement up or down on W1 and this remains a market going nowhere fast.

1 Like