Hard to Kill Blog's Official Trading Diary: Last Road to Consistency

@longshottrader

Hmm it seems you have discipline problems but are trading intra day - well that’s a big part of your problem there

Simply trading off daily charts is likely to remove the vast majority of your problems.

I have said many times - day trading is the worst thing you can do if you are not yet profitable.

I am replied to by experienced day traders 'that depends, were all different etc ’

Well hello, they are profitable day traders so are not likely to look at it in a negative light.

Those who tried day trading or scalping and failed miserably probably left this forum a long time ago

The other thing is I noticed how positive you are and you also mentioned an iron will.

Well no amount of being positive or determined is going to help in the markets, you cannot force your will onto your trading - now you probably thinking I’m playing with semantics here - maybe but there is a good chance that sometime at least you have tried to impose your will on to your trading.

I am also a very positive person, but in terms of individual trades that is detrimental.

You talk about the Asian session, but like @Blackduck says it’s hard - the largest moves come out of Europe - even if your trading Asian pairs.

This is an interesting project you are undertaking and one all beginners should read, however I doubt they will because few want to be confronted with the very real possibility of failure - only those who genuinely are likely to succeed are willing to learn of experiences from the others.

Anyway start trading smart and at some point you can make back that money you lost - which is really just tuition fee anyway.

You’re right about a lot of things, I honestly appreciate your input given your experience–but I think there’s misunderstanding. Correct me if I’m wrong, though.

Positive attitude, iron will, and iron mind is about what is necessary to succeed in any endeavor and not so much about imposing on the market. It’s about grit/determination and developing the right temperament so that you can do the right thing/getting up and trying again.

I have in the past imposed my will in some of my trades (with great losses) so I am familiar with what you are saying, and you are right, but that’s not what I am trying to convey to readers.

As far as getting back the money I lost, I actually don’t care about that now. I have learned that whatever equity I restart with, that’s what I have. What I had before, was what I had and is mine no more.

Cheers

I realized these were my mistakes today:

1. I did not put on my noise cancelling headphones on when it got overwhelming
  2. I slept in 30 mins extra, giving me less time to absorb what the market has done overnight
  3. I had a slight change to my process
  4. I added a new pair to the target list
    [/quote]

Hi @longshottrader

I admire your attention to detail and at least you had some type of plan. You just need to be a little more diligent at applying yourself.

I guess it 's easy for me to say. Living in Sydney I have the luxury of getting up in the morning and doing a few things prior to sitting down to look at the markets around lunch time. It is very rare that I take a trade on the Asian market so I have plenty of time to re-evaluate what levels I am looking at and what markets I am looking at. It also gives me time to look at what news items are happing today that may affect the markets.

I am a firm believer in doing some homework before I consider trading. It is suicide to just sit down at the computer open up the charts and start pulling the trigger on trades. Unfortunately that is gambling.

There is one question I have to ask: If you were successful at trading stocks why come to Forex?? I traded stocks for a while and was resonably successful but that was strictly a buy and hold strategy more like investing as I sort stocks for both capital gain dividends and yield. But I will have to say that there are horses for courses and it doesn’t matter the market as long as the dollars flow.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Cheers

Blackduck

@longshottrader

I understand your point when I bring up the positivity stuff - I was slightly hesitant to bring it up in the first place.

But the positivity stuff works two ways - the first is imposing your will on the market (we have covered that) but also the disappointment that comes from losing (even if you did everything correctly)

After disappointment often comes the revenge trading and discipline issues

I personally found a better way to deal with things than being positive. That is to find other things to do that I found equally as interesting as trading.

It takes my mind of the process and means I’m not nearly as results orientated.

I admit that is not so easy to do if your glued to the screen too much - but trying to enforce self discipline often reinforces the opposite.

Anyway this should make for a decent thread.

1 Like

Howdy @Blackduck,

Why Forex? Easy, I moved to Australia to start a family :slight_smile: That brings me to the morning routine; it’s hard to have consistency when your family needs to have different things done at different times.

Throw in the in-laws who need to be driven places and it’s a mixed bag. So, I do have Asia to contend with and I also have the challenge of consistency so I rely on my phone, custom execution software, and remote connectivity a lot these days.

Believe me, I tried staying up really late to trade (stocks and forex) but I just end up with less sleep/doing dumber things. Night time is very hard since I need to spend time with family. I want my kid to grow up knowing that trading is not something that takes you away from family. Trading should be something that lets you do what you want and not something that chains you to the desk.

Family time is more important to me now and so I will just have to succeed with what I have until I make it. I really appreciate my wife trying to understand the world of trading and not getting on me about going back to work.

Friday was a mess because of a change I made (plus everyone is home due to COVID). Anyway, I just need to go through the new process enough to make it a habit then it’s back to just pulling the trigger when a signal presents itself no matter what time it is.

Maybe I should have transitioned to ASX trading but I was initially successful when I first traded AUDUSD 5 min charts.

@Johnscott31

It’s a good move. It’s good you found a way. It’s interesting how we come up with different solutions. For example, with enforcing self discipline and doing the exact opposite, I meditated on that for a long time until I finally asked “What do I need to do so that doing the right thing uses little or no willpower?” “How can I make this a habit?”

Decent thread, huh? So, how can I make it great? Just kidding :slight_smile:

@longshottrader

The thread could become great if it becomes an agent for change and readers can see that.

One of the biggest problems we have is impulsiveness - anything that puts space between you and an reckless entry order is good.

You say you don’t want to discuss strategy, that’s fine but it would be nice to know how much you think this was all down to poor strategy and how much was poor psychology that affected your trading - only then do we get a truer reflection of where you can improve.

Play around. Experiment. Trade small and hopefully you will find a timeframe a strategy that will bring you success.

We are here to help so good luck I hope you do well.

Cheers

Blackduck

Good point but, here’s what I think.

In all the years I’ve been trading, I’ve spent more time on strategy than fundamentals. If I take care of the fundamentals and I continue to lose, then all that remains is strategy, no?

I’ve always had upward equity runs but looking at my trade journal, it’s when I introduce something or something is introduced that changes things (besides discipline issues).

Stock trading: Equity goes up, then goes down when I switched to FX

Forex: Equity goes up, then goes down when I had to be confined within the parameters of trader funding programs.

Now I just exposed my trading to the public along with a rethink of what timeframe I really should be trading.

I think if this public thing doesn’t work out I’ll just trade in a vacuum.

1 Like

Monday

I slept in again–40 minutes late!

But it’s Monday, there’s no overnight market activity :slight_smile: Monday is a free pass.

I have had a lot of time to think over the weekend about the public nature of my trading and I have come to a conclusion that if I am not careful with the advice I’m being given by traders on the internet, I may just end up like Peter Keating instead of Howard Roark.

I now see why the book Fountainhead is considered mandatory reading by many of the world’s top trading firms.

Not that I don’t appreciate the advice–I think I need to log some trades for a while before I measure my trading against the advice, then make an adjustment.

For example, Friday was a complete mess in terms of execution (the first trade) and that change was brought upon by @Emekadavid who was disappointed I had only booked 1R instead of the 4R paper profit I had.

I followed my plan so there are no regrets there, but it made me wonder if my plan was good enough.

I finally looked into Emekadavid and on March 31, 2020 he said he started on demo 8 months prior. I’m open to advice from anyone but I have to be careful; even if Emekadavid is a handsome market genius who is successful right from the beginning.

Every time I add change my trading gets worse. This diary–this new journey, is all about discipline, psychology, and most of all achieving consistency.

It’s not about making a million dollars (it used to be) and it’s interesting that some people think I have failed just because I have a losing trade or a drawdown.

After losing for so long, I believe that if one wants a flower, you cannot think flower. You have to think of getting the best manure, the best soil, the best location, etc. The flower will be a byproduct of the above.

I have long ignored the manure and the soil, and gave the seedling too much water and sunlight.

Anyway.

Monday–I only see one potential trade and I think it might be a B setup which means I will have to size down. We’ll see what the drill down reveals. If it’s a clean setup in the lower time frame it becomes an A setup.

While I wait, it’s time to squeeze in exercise, family time, and some cleaning.

Update:

Still waiting for the market to make a move. Meanwhile I’m working on releasing the next blog which is the most time consuming work I’ve done yet.

My spirits are up a bit too as I just saw a notification that a previous track record of mine on Myfxbook finally qualifies for copytrading (now they tell me!).

I had abandoned this strategy though as it does not suit my temperament (nor does it suit funding programs); however, it’s nice to know that there’s now more hope for the future in terms of non organic growth.

Of course, I’m thinking copytrading is another new thing to introduce to my trading/trading psychology which could have disastrous results. Plus I hear the trade replication isn’t very good.

Update:

I see the setup is forming nicely. There’s potential for an A trade here. In about an hour or two it might be a trade. I remind myself that I usually jump into a trade before the setup fully forms because I fear I would miss out or not get a good price. Maybe, some big news comes out, I say to myself.

In many ways I am glad I don’t really do very active trading anymore because I am a slow thinker, so now I get to give myself warning that there is potential for stupidity in the next hour or two.

I have learned over the years that I cannot think fast enough to make great decisions scalping/day trading. I guess that’s why I hate shopping with the wife too–there’s too many decisions over the course of many hours for me. I think she has the makings of a day trader.

Update:

As I wait for price to setup, I find myself thinking about post trade commentary from self and others.

One could say, I decided not to take the trade because of x but now I feel the FOMO as price continues at a rapid pace; the post trade commentary could be that maybe I should have a better plan or I should have put in a small size, or that I got emotional…

One could also say, I took a full loss on that position, my gut was telling me it was going to turn around and take me out the whole time; the post trade commentary could be that I should have trailed it, took some profit or killed the trade as soon as I had the feeling/things looked bad and took the profit.

It seems untenable.

I think the best thing is to ask if the process was executed to perfection, regardless of feelings. In addition, if there’s enough data from that trade or a series of trades to warrant a change in the process.

I’m also thinking, I didn’t want use my willpower to stop myself from eating donuts (that my kid asked to buy) because I need it for trading discipline, so I ate some with the hope that the sugar rush doesn’t affect my focus when the time comes.

I guess I can do sprints before game time because exercise enhances focus! I’m such a genius–but I digress.

Update:

After an hour or two, I’m calling Monday done and dusted. I’m looking at the charts and I think there will be no trades for me until Thursday or Friday. We’ll see though as the market is so fluid.

I must say, I did good today by not exploring new strategies which is a tendency of mine when I’m waiting.

3 Likes

Don’t let @Blackduck fool you, he’s really a golden goose.

Nice!!! Except he is a she. :joy: and I wished I could lay golden eggs. :wink:

Keep up the good work. I am impressed with your diligence and honestly.

Cheers

Blackduck

1 Like

@longshottrader

Just a little thought but I am looking at shorting the AUD/USD at resistance level 64.72 and maybe going long at support level 63.74. I’ll use a 20 pip stop loss and a 40 pip take profit.

No guarantees as you know but worth watching.

:cocktail:

Cheers

Blackduck

Lol, I’m looking to go long as it approaches 64.72 (yeah I’m crazy). That’s what I’m watching.

NZDUSD is more compelling for me if I were to short given the macro behind NZD but ya know, I’m not a macro trader.

This should be interesting. A trade is just one trade anyway–it’s the aggregate I’m interest in.

Cheers to you as well.

P.S. I thought about going long .6414 this morning but it’s outside my strategy/plan. Plus it’s Monday–I have a thing about Mondays.

Yeah I can understand. I have this thing about Fridays.

I find Mondays to be good as traders are back from the weekend keen for action where as Fridays traders are looking forward to that cold beer at knock off time and the upcoming weekend. So they are looking to consolidate and or close their positions.

I never hold trades over the weekend unless I am well and truely in the money with that trade. Just a personal thing.

Cheers

Blackduck

I also have issues with Mondays. I prefer to open charts until after New York open.

I rarely take trades in the Asian session. However once London opens it’s game on.

Cheers

Blackduck

It’s possible to make money just before and during Wellington open because I’ve done it:

fxbookequityOld

It’s just sometimes you have to wait months for the market to reset before you get another good run. Not my cup of tea. Maybe I should make it my cup of tea, though.

Oh, I got a thing with Fridays too and you’re right, a lot of traders are looking forward to that cold one–including me. Unfortunately, I have to rely on charity to get beer because I made a rule not to purchase any unless I make money from trading.

As you say, Goose, to each their own.

Cheers

Maverick

(Hoping you get that, maybe you’re too young to know about Top Gun)

Oh No One of my favourite movies. Tom Cruise. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers

Blackduck

1 Like

Tuesday

I’m up and on time!

So, yesterday I was watching AUDUSD for a long position but I ran out of time. I just couldn’t take the trade early because consistent process is important to me. Waiting for a candle close is paramount as I’ve been burned many times for not waiting.

Anyway the price now is where TP would have been. There will be no trades for me today and probably none tomorrow too as I don’t see it resetting that fast.

Instead of trying to find a trade like I used to do, I’m going to take the day off and give my eyes a lot of rest.

Besides, I have to pay for the ramen and donuts I ate yesterday so today will be about eating clean, getting a long workout in, some therapeutic cleaning, and maybe I’ll listen to some podcasts in preparation for Friday’s blog (hint).

Good luck to you guys today

P.S. I click on the emoji icon when I am drafting my post but nothing happens–help!