Have you ever fallen for a money making scheme/scam?

MLMs? Or maybe ICOs for the crypto peeps. Or maybe even Enron-style lol.

If you have, how did it get you? What was it that you fell for? :open_mouth:

In Lithuania, I think in the years 2012-2014 these things were hyped. I even had job interviews, which were innocent at first glance, but then I realised those were MLM. You could just spit anywhere and you would land on some MLM promoter.

1 Like

I fell for a forex scam when I was a newbie. The typical “let me trade instead of you, oh no, I am losing, pump more money into your account!” scam. Thankfully I figured it out before I had invested too much, but it still stung.

MLM is not a scam in itself, same as Forex and Crypto are not. Though there are of course scams in them.

I fell for Bitcoin Mining scams in the past :frowning:

1 Like

I’m sorry. Care to elaborate how they scammed you? I always like to know what to be careful about.

I was younger and naive.
Got caught in a few that were just ponzis so never got my money back and the company just closed down.

1 Like

I’m sorry. It happens to many traders, unfortunately. What happened to me what something similar, I was very naive.

Fell for a lot of EA’s that promised high returns but ended up losing money.

1 Like

Yes I think we have all been there.

A few crypto HYIPs. Fortunately I understood that they are time sensitive and got in as close to day 1 as possible so not lost on them but they all scam out in the end.

Fine. Not a true scam but a scam nonetheless! Sorry, I’m obvi speaking from not-so-great experiences of so-called friends wanting to have coffee only to have them sell me stuff. :rage:

Oof hope it wasn’t a lot of money?

Good for you!

1 Like

It was not a particularly big sum but it was enough to hurt, not to mention it happened shortly after I had lost my father to cancer and I was still grieving. I don’t think I was thinking particularly straight at the time, and the scammer absolutely took advantage of that. That alone hurt more than the lost money.

Yeah I mean MLM is annoying and there are scams out there, but the actual system is not a scam.

1 Like

For me, it was the pyramid scheme, back in 2004 when I was younger, when I knew little about those schemes. I sent an envelope of £30 to an address of the person who sent me the scheme, as per his instruction, and I never heard anything from him again.

Three years later, I was looking for a job when I received an email from a Nigerian scammer posing as an employer who said he would give me a job, so he sent me a fraud check and instructed me to cash it. I went to a cashing office and the clerk shouted very aggressively ’ I’m going to call the police now! Where did you get this check?’ I explained about the fraudster who gave me the check and what I was instructed to do. So after some talk the clerk let me go but chose to keep the check.

2 Likes

That’s what those criminals prey on - inexperience, vulnerability, and in the case of old people, decreasing mental capacity. It’s disgusting.

Omg I’m so sorry. I hate it when people take advantage of others!!!

lol that sounds truly scary. I prob would have panicked hardcore.

What I see a lot now is the buyer/seller scam. The one where they find people selling stuff and then they pretend to have paid you extra so then they ask you to send them the remaining cash plus the product. And then a couple days later, the money they sent you disappears because it’s not a check that’s cleared. Something like that.

1 Like