Hello everyone - I'm an old timer from California

Hello to All. My name is Alex Yslava and I am a complete newbie. I’ve chosen Forex to begin my trading journey because before last week I only had $500 to begin with. I am 75 yrs old and on Social Security solely. When I first retired 15 years ago I could make it without any problems. Now it is very difficult to get through the month without pinching every penny that I have. I tried several other things before learning of trading to make a little extra in order to live comfortably without stress, which is what I go through every month now. That’s not a life but a chore.

IM had some promise but, My God, it is so involved and takes so much time and money that I had to find something else. Stocks and Options look good but again I’m not looking for a new ‘JOB’ stuck in front of my computer 12 hrs a day. So I began searching for anything that would help me make what I needed to live on comfortably and in a fashion that I used to before falling ill and losing everything. I used to be in construction, specializing in Kitchen and Bathroom Remodel. I wasn’t big but I had work the year around in good times and bad. When others were having a hard time finding work I was always busy. Then, somehow, I fell victim to Black Mold and spent almost a year and a half in the hospital. I had to sell everything I had built up just trying to survive. My insurance capped out at month 7 and I was left to deal with my bills on my own. That cost me everything and I retired unable to continue with any kind of physical work.

Now at 75 and with all my disabilities: asthma, arthritis and neuropathy I can’t get even a part-time job anywhere. I don’t like my situation and I want to change it somehow. Forex allows anyone to begin with a small account and that is what I have. Last month I was in the hospital going through radiation treatment for prostate cancer and while there, some S.O.B. hacked into my accounts and left me broke, and I do mean broke. I’ll have to barrow money just to open an account. It had taken me month’s to get what I had together and now it’s gone. So now my account will be super small, if I can even open one. Well I’m not going to just sit and cry. I am angry, yes, but I am not going to let it stop me from moving forward.

I was dumb enough to think I could do this on my own but I see now, how wrong I was. Not being a spiritual type I still want to believe that it was my Karma that moved to wake me up. My Higher Power shook my tree, so to speak, and so, I am here to hopefully make friends and to get direction on what to do next and how to do it. Like I said, " I am a complete newbie" and don’t even have an account anywhere yet. I wish I had deposited my money somewhere before being ripped off. So, my first order of business is to find a good broker, open an account and find a way to build up my account. I expect it’s going to take me some time so I will have to be patient and keep moving on, one small step at a time.

Almost forgot, I’m in California near Silicon Valley in a small town named Gilroy. My only experience is having read a few eBooks and watched video’s at YouTube which translate into sales copy for a ton of guru’s and wannabe’s. Not all but most. It seems everyone is selling something. I’m hoping for direction to the right Broker, the best books on the subject and recommendations to the best courses available. At first I will have to learn all I can here and when I’ve made some headway will consider outside courses. So, for now I am open to any suggestions.

This pretty much tells everyone who I am and where I am. Hope to meet you all inside. I also hope that I’ve covered everything required.

-Alex (alex44)

2 Likes

This was truly heartfelt and I truly feel your pain. First let me say I’m truly sorry to hear what happened and I do hope you feel better with all the physical issues you’re currently dealing with.

Now your correct forex gives the ability to people from all walks of life to trade with an account that is fairly small.

Now trading is more psychological and it tugs on your heart strings and your emotions and I believe that truly wipes out a lot of potential traders. On demo you can be Michael Jordan but when it comes to actual “real” money on the line some traders are just shooting blanks in that regard. There is a bunch of free information on the internet and you’ve come to an excellent website that has an advanced school which will teach you the ins & outs for free. We are all here to help each other become better so you’ll definitely find members who are willing to chime in with their own opinions and material.

More importantly - I WISH YOU WELL & A SUCCESSFUL TRADING CAREER!

1 Like

Hi @alex44 !

You have my greatest sympathy for the hard times that have come your way. Having worked hard at your own business for so long, it must now be so frustrating not to be able to reap the rewards due to you as a result!

But my own sincere belief is that forex is not the right answer for you.

Many people spend years learning and practicing on demo accounts before they reach a state of consistent earnings, and most of those lose a lot of real money before managing to keep the head above water and move forward - and many more never ever get there…

By way of evidence of the challenge you are facing, the ESMA authority in the EU requires that brokers declare the percentage of clients that are losing money - and most of them are reporting around 80% are losing accounts!

But not only is it difficult to get there, the results that most traders might normally expect from their trading is perhaps 5-20% a year. This naturally varies tremendously due to the nature of trading and can be a whole lot more than that, but a general rule in these things is that the opportunity for huge winnings is matched by huge risks of failing.

What I am saying here is that in order to achieve earnings that would be meaningful from such a small equity balance would require large exposure to risk but would not give you much room for positions to go against you before being stopped out.

Of course, there is no reason why you should take my word for this so I think the best way forward for you is to open a demo account with the same balance that you would be trading live and see how you get on. Whilst you are training on that account you can throw your questions here on BP and hopefully get some advice on what to do.

But you do need to decide a lot of things concerning concerning your trading style, method, currency pairs and so on and trade consistently according to them on demo in order to be able to demonstrate whether it is going to be the thing for you or not. And I would add that trading on demo is a very different animal to trading live and watching your own money diminishing in front of your eyes! :slight_smile: . Practically every position that a trader takes will see some negative pips at some point as it is almost impossible to hit the market at precisely the top or bottom. The question always is: how far do I let it go minus before deciding the position is wrong?

I am sure you will get some other responses here, but I do urge you to take great care and use a demo before you risk a cent of your own funds.

1 Like

It is usually adviced to begin with an amount you can afford to lose but giving that you would be borrowing that capital, it’s hard to say. That just becomes a capital you can’t afford to lose, literally. Extra caution would be needed in your trading.

But “You never know the outcome if you don’t try”. So go ahead and give it a good shot.

Remember this: When you go live, please do not be dependent on indicators. Focus on price action and Always Always check the News.

1 Like

Hey Alex…
Thanks for sharing who you are with us. I appreciate it.
Look. No one knows that life is tough, more than you. I mean, your old enough to have seen, and experienced just about anything and everything in life. I understand.

But the thing is…I’m so sorry to say that Manxx is right. Believe me, this is not easy for me to say to you. But, I figured you might want some truth.

But, for as hard of times you went through already, with all of that, this market is…I should say…what it takes to become a good trader, is so much tougher. And, from my own experience, it’s going to take such a long time.

Alex, I tell ya, I truly believe no one on this planet has any more determination than me. This will be the last thing I ever put my hand to. I will go out of this world with a trade running. I just love the game, like nothing else. This is why I was born. And I’m not joking Alex. But, the only good thing is that I started when I was 45 yrs old.

Well, that was 6 years ago right now. And for what it took me to get to this point, you just wouldn’t believe.

I just want you to know that this won’t solve any of you problems in life. Surely, if you’re in it for the money, I’m telling you, you will be disappointed. See, you will be coming from the angle of “what can I get out of it”. Well, maybe I could be wrong about that.

But, if you are the likes of me. With a passion for the game. Unlimited patience. Unbelievable determination. Mostly knowing yourself and getting to the bottom of ‘why do I do what I do’, well then…I know you will get there.

But, it’s going to take time.
Like…a long time.

Again, it pains me to say this to you.
But, just like Manxx, you at least need to know this before you really get into it.

The thing, and I mean the only thing, that got me this far is my love for the game. I can’t imagine going into this craft without that inside someone.

Be tough!
Talk to us!

Mike

1 Like

Love it! :joy::joy:

Its another good, yet rarely considered, reason for always using stops - even if they are distant ones! (unless there really are no interested beneficiaries!)

2 Likes

Welcome to BabyPips and thanks for sharing your story. I hope that the School of Pipsology
and community will be a big help on your success.

Good luck sir!