HELP! - Tried to place another trade - MT4 saying I don't have enough money?

Could someone help me with how this works…

I invested £150 (starting small)

I have 2 trades open using 0.07 lot size.

Leverage 1:100 as advised by mentor.

I just went to place a 3rd trade using same lot size & it said I don’t have enough money to place the trade?

How does it work when my balance is £150?

If someone could explain that would be appreciated!

You do not have any more free margin. That could be the reason.

Check does it says to you that the margin level is close to 100%.

If yes, then you have open to large trades and your margin does not allow it to open more.

It can also happen that you have losing trades and free margin is spent on those trades.

If that is the case you need to reverse losing i to wining trades and when your free margin increases ypu will have space for more orders.

Attach the image of your terminal with account balance and margins so I can see what is the current status.

Image is attached - I managed to place the 3rd trade now but using 0.02 lot size instead of 0.07.

Thank you for your help would be good if you could have a look at image to see what situation is… as just finding my feet with understanding how it works at the moment!

You do not have enough money to open more trades.
You can see that Free Margin is 11.49 which is not enough to open more trades.

You need to:

1. close one of the trades or
  2. you need to invest more money on your account or
  3. your open trades must be profitable to increase Free Margin
1 Like

I see I see! thank you for explaining this that has really helped ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be careful of Margin Call because you are very close to it. You do not have Free Margin that gives you space to breath with your open trades.

When you Margin Level is near and under 100% it is just matter of time when the broker will start closing your trades.

When you open trades leave ope at least Margin Level on 500% which is half of your margin. That way you are allowing your trades to go into negative balance without activating Margin Call.

2 Likes

I deposited a bit more money into my trade account to give me more free margin as I realised it was getting very low. It now says my margin level percentage is 110% which I realise is still a bit too low compared to what you have suggested.

What do you suggest I do in this situation?

Update - I have now closed one of the trades which has increased my % to 180% which is slightly better.

You are over-trading where you have to much open trades.

If you want to have more trades open you should open them with smaller lot size, 0.01-0.03.

That way you will not use all the margin you have.

That is nice.

Now you have more room to bread, but I would suggest to close more of them. You have orders with large lot size and if the market moves against you will be very close to margin call.

1 Like

Fab thank you! I closed one that had 0.07 lot size so I now have 2 open with 0.02 and just 1 with 0.07 so this should be better for now. Margin level % is at 180% so it’s given me a bit more breathing space now.

I really appreciate your help with this as otherwise I wouldn’t have known!

1 Like