Here we go! A newbie trade and journey journal

Nope no prob.Yeah you caught a mental error, 3-8 pip stop. Also remember it is a mental stop and not preset. Also you have to gauge the market on the fly, and frankly WHEN this works 88% is possible. I was doing this Monday night, had the Bro in law come for a visit, they were at another families house, so I got bored, and started doing this. Remember this is how I used to trade, I know rude, but Ms. VIPER allows it because I get bored and then I get cranky. Hey at least I was sitting at the table.

I will go back and edit the error, and yes don’t get upside down in a trade, TP always greater than Stop. Also don’t get married to the 2:1, but that’s another theme for another day.

Don’t trade any real money on this but messing around only costs some time, and maybe it doesn’t work, but it lets you see another side of the market.

The Ever Imperfect VIPER

I am still about 5-6 months out from opening a small real money account for trading so no worries there. I know OANDA allows for multiple demo accounts so I will setup an account for this method tonight.

1 Like

https://forums.babypips.com/t/here-we-go-a-newbie-trade-and-journey-journal/116275/73The word “Fractal” springs to mind :sunglasses:

Ok, time to do some demo trading!

Scalping the Scalpers - the @TradeViper method
I set up a $100,000 demo account at OANDA for taking very short-term trades off the 1-minute chart just following the trend. I used the position size calculator here at BP and with 2% risk and a 5 pip stop loss, I can trade 40 standard lots.

I traded the EURUSD, AUDUSD, and USDJPY pairs. Here are the trades I took:

10/12/2017 6:36 PM CDT - EURUSD short at 1.18333 as the price was beginning to pull back from a lower high on the 1-minute chart. Prices moved slowly, and with the spread, I was still negative after almost a full pip move in my favor. All of a sudden a strong bearish candle pushed me into +$600 with only a three pip move. A few bars later and it looked like there was support forming at 1.1830. I held onto the trade because it looked like the bears were still pushing and the price dropped to 1.1829 and then it rallied back up in a huge bullish candle. The bears pushed it back down to 1.1830 before the bar closed. I decided to give it one more bar before closing the position at 1.18318 for a total profit of 1.5 pips. Total time in trade was 13 minutes.

10/12/2017 6:51 PM CDT - Entered a long position on USDJPY at 112.263 as price as pulling back into previous resistance after breaking through it. Immediately after I entered the order a bearish candle shows up. Great, I thought, as I prepared to close my position. The price fell to 112.246 and I prepared myself for the first losing trade of the night. I wanted to see what would happen when the price hit 112.230. Price blew through that level, then climbed back up to 112.24 and then blew through it again so I closed that position down at 112.241. Total loss of 2 pips on this trade. Time in trade was 5 minutes.

10/12/2017 6:53 PM CDT - Entered a long position on USDCHF at 0.97519 as several candles tested this level but couldn’t close below. I was anticipating a bounce off this level and move upward. The spread on this pair was pretty large so I would have to let this run for a bit unless it broke structure to the downside. Trade did break into profit but I missed the close on the position as I was typing over here. We are still not close to the stop loss yet so I can let this run some more. This pair started building momentum against me so I got out while I could at 0.97523 for a .4 pip profit.

10/12/2017 6:57 PM CDT - Given the bearish momentum I saw I entered a short position on USDJPY at 112.224. Of course at that time price bounces off the 112.225 level and starts going up. I hate the yen. I really do. At least, I do tonight. I take back the negative talk as the yen broke through the 112.22 level. Bulls are trying to push it back up. Don’t do that! Bad bulls! I closed this position out for a profit of 1 pip as candles were starting to alternate between bullish and bearish candles. Time in trade was 21 minutes.

10/12/2017 7:00 PM CDT - AUDUSD came up to test a previous resistance level and it held, so went short at 0.78247. If price retraces to previous support I should be able to snag 6 pips. After 6 minutes in this trade, the price is slowly creeping down so this one is looking good. Price came down and started to bounce off the 0.78215 level so I closed out the position at 0.78237 for a 1 pip profit.

After 30 minutes I was up 2.9 pips. Time to go to McDonald’s and put extra cheese on the burger and supersize the fries! It’s a party! 4 out of 5 trades were profitable, however, so that is 80% win rate by my calculations. This method is definitely going to take practice but I see some value in it.

I also found out that I don’t really like MetaTrader as a platform. The charting color schemes make it hard for me to see what is going on, and the chart trading buttons don’t make it easy to reverse positions. I can see the ability to quickly reverse a position being important in this kind of trading. For the next set of trades I will be using the Web Platform from OANDA.

Swinging From the Ceiling - the @cndlstckchic method
Ok, in this demo account I am starting with a $2,000 balance. Position size will be calculated for each trade. I will be finding directional clues from the daily chart, setting targets and stops on the hourly chart, and if needed, dropping into the 15-minute chart for trade entry signals.

10/12/2017 7:27 PM USD/CAD Entered a short position at 1.24762 as the market put in a double top on the 15 min chart, signaling that a bearish move was likely. The bearish move corresponds to the current leg of the trend of the daily chart. Stop loss went to 1.24936 and take profit at 1.24374. Entered with 2 mini lots per risk management rules of not trading more than 2% of the account balance in a single trade.

10/12/2017 7:31 PM AUD/USD Daily chart shows that we are currently in a retracement during a bearish trend. Clues that tell me that are the market recently put in a lower low move and price is bouncing up off of the 0.77468 level. My prediction is that the market will start moving back down now as the price is approaching a level that previously acted as support. The hourly chart is testing the 0.78294 level for the third time in the last day or so. Being that this level held three times I plan to enter short if this current bar on the hourly chart fails to close above the other bars. Unless the bears come in hard, it looks like this bar is going to close above the other bars’ closes but under the highs. I am still feeling bearish on this pair so unless the bar closes above the highs I still plan to initiate the short position. Of course, the bulls push the price above the highs… so do I get long or do I get short? I went short as the daily chart is showing us a downtrend, and there is less risk to a short position based on structure levels on the hour chart. Short initiated at 0.78362 with a stop loss at 0.78641 and a take profit at 0.77741.

That’s a wrap for tonight. As I post this, the USD/CAD swing trade is 6.8 pips into profit, and the AUD/USD trade is 2.0 pips in the red. I will post updates in the morning on the swing trades.

2 Likes

You can easily change the colors on metatrader if you need some tips. But if you dislike it for other reasons as well, no worries - use whatever platform you prefer.

This trade got stopped out at 1.24936 for a loss of 17.4 pips. Total time in the trade was about 11.5 hours.

This trade stopped out at 0.78644 for a loss of 28.2 pips.

So far swing trading on the hourly chart has me seeing a total loss of 45.6 pips. Since I don’t work on Fridays I am going to try trading the NY open this morning, which means I need to get my butt moving and get some coffee made.

1 Like

Decided to take a swing at the USD/CAD again on the 4 hour chart. I entered long at 1.24617 as price was hovering around 1.2450 which historically has acted as support. While the overall market on the daily chart is in a bearish trend… man… this is why I shouldn’t trade without coffee. I closed the position at -5.6 pips because I was an idiot.

Entered a long EURUSD position at 1.1858 with a stop loss at 1.1684 and a take profit at 1.2100. I entered this trade as the EURUSD is was trending upwards before consolidating and there is a greater upside to this trade than downside.

Ok, took another look at this pair and got short on the daily chart even though the lower time frames are saying get long. I think the higher time frame has more weight in this sort of analysis so got short at 1.24654 with a stop loss at 1.26156 and a take profit at 1.2100.

I know it’s frustrating, one of my USDCAD positions got stopped out last night too because there was a push up while I was sleeping. It’s really all about where you enter and where you put your stoploss. So, I entered at 1.24743 and set my stoploss at 1.24925, that was too tight. I should have put it just over the last swing high of 1.25322. Not following my own rules got me taken out.

On the upside, there is a nice pinbar on the 4 hour chart and we should see some nice bearish action on USDCAD for the remainder of the day. That’s my opinion.

Good luck on your EURUSD trade. You do have bullish momentum on your side, however I would not be surprised to see a pullback to around the 1.17416 - 1.16608 level to retest support.

Try not to get your hopes dashed by stop-outs. In the beginning it’s about figuring out which way it’s going, and figuring out where to put your stoploss and entry. Once you get that down, it’s pretty smooth sailing.

It’s surprising just how much this string of bad luck is affecting me emotionally. At this point, I don’t know if the trades I took in my swing trade account (currently going 0/4) were bad decisions, or if I did everything right and just had some bad luck with the market.

There are a lot of questions going through my head right now.

First, the trading questions:

Is pure price action effective? Can I read it properly? Did I enter the trade properly? DId I screw up my analysis?

Next, the personal questions:

Can I really make money at this? Am I smart enough for this? Do I believe in myself enough to do this?

Intellectually, I know that I don’t have anywhere near enough data to even bother asking these questions. I had a few bad trades. I just need to suck it up, practice more, and learn more. Losing trades doesn’t make me a failure - quitting makes me a failure.

I can’t imagine how much worse this would be if I were trading real money.

The psychological toll is the hardest part. I can answer one of those questions for you, you are definitely smart enough to overcome this. I’m not kidding at all when I say I think you’re way beyond me in that department, and I’ve been able to make sense of Forex - so you should be able to do it as well.

I’ll take a look at your swing trade choices and give you some feedback about what I think happened. Finally, price action is absolutely effective when done right and with money management principles in place. But Forex is never 100% guaranteed - like my 2nd loss today, there was nothing wrong with that trade. It was textbook. There will be losses that we can’t control, we just have to eliminate the ones we can control.

1 Like

That’s the same trade I am in but I was in at 1.1725 and my stop is 1.1649 - You may want to re-look at that stop, it went lower a couple of times before bouncing. I am aware that my stop may well not be low enough and will re look at it if we get a re-test.

@jseymour84 THere is absoluty nothing to feel bad about, getting stopped out by THAT bar this morning (Morning to me anyhow). I was paper on a long at the time and ended up the day £701 up because of that bar. I did post about it real time “What ws that about”, if you want my take on it

[Edit - Keep at it mate you’re a bright lad and there’s some people here who actuall DO know what they’re doing, taking an interest in you ] :sunglasses:

I hope I am not intruding into your thread but I just wanted to say that I don’t think you should be too hard on yourself or doubt your abilities here.

This has been a tricky and demanding day in a tricky and uncertain period. But this is not surprising when you consider some of the major issues currently affecting the markets such as Brexit uncertainties and the recent retracement in the long trend in the USD that has been going since the beginning of the year.

But since we were seeing the first major retracement in the USD during Sept, it is not surprising that we are now witnessing major fluctuations and erratic movements as the markets sort out where to next. In general, the longer and larger the trend, the longer and more volatile is the period of consolidation and fluctuation that follows it.

In these times it is very demanding for a trader to choose whether to look for longer term positions or short term intraday moves.

By way of example, the weekly close is always a significant point and if we look at the EURUSD as it stands right now we see that this week has been an up week in an up trend - but the daily is finishing the day below some strong resistances (and included a failed strong intraday attempt at a rally) and closing with what is looking like a bearish pin bar. That is a confusing pair of situations to close the week on!

What I am saying is that this is a difficult period right now and you have too little results so far to really judge your performance - so stay optimistic and better times will certainly come forth! Have a great weekend and sorry for interrupting here…

Look and Listen. You will be ok, just keep your wits about you and you will learn this , but you have to remember context. I will explain to today later at The Store.Here is a head start VIX at 5 - 6 Am EST

The Ever Observant VIPER

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and kind words. I am judging from what I am reading that I am not the only one struggling. I did learn quite a few valuable things today:

1. It is CRITICAL to size my positions properly. I am demo trading in a $2,000 account and a 1% risk level would be $20, yet I have one trade that is -$112.75 right now because I didn’t bother to calculate my position size.

2. One cannot simply ignore fundamentals completely. If I had bothered to read up on this Brexit thing, I probably would have sat on my hands until things settled down.

3. Taking swing trades on a Friday is probably not a good idea because the weekend is coming up, and I don’t want to be glued to my phone watching my trades all weekend.

4. I really like the fxTrade platform from OANDA. It’s not as good as NinjaTrader, but by far better than MetaTrader. I would go with NinjaTrader if OANDA offered it, but I am settled on OANDA as my broker because I am not locked into trading mini lots or standard lots, instead, I have better control over position sizing.

Thanks again everyone, and I hope you all stick around in this thread long enough to see me become consistently profitable with real money :slight_smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I blew my first $2000 live account years ago. Remember when I said, ‘now the real fun and heart ache begin’? I meant it! Even demo can be soul crushing - but it’s a really really important tool. Do you know how many of us blow our first live account? Almost ALL. My suggestion would be keep demo trading until you start to understand, really understand - and build confidence in whatever way you decide to trade.

As a price action trader, a good habit to get in is to review the charts after NY close each day (so after 5 eastern US). You said you are using Oanda right? That’s good because their charts are “NY close charts” meaning their daily candles end when the day closes in NY (not all broker’s daily candles end at the close of the NY session). Daily candles carry 24 hours worth of information. So, a rejection candle or a very strong dominant candle on a daily chart - means a lot more than the same candle on the 15 min chart. So, you can look at what happened for the day that just passed and make some decisions about what you think may happen next. You mentioned not ignoring the news entirely, well I think it’s okay to be aware of when news releases are going to occur - but I stay away from fundamentals and that’s a whole other story for another thread. I just believe that the candles tell you what you need to know. They are all encompassing. It’s weird to think that the candles hold the ‘mood’ and expectations of the cumulative market participants - but they do. If you can learn to really pay attention to them they can tell you a lot.

Now, I want to apologize a little here - because I think that I may have influenced you to get short in USDCAD because that was one of the trades that I was doing ‘well’ in (before yesterday anyway) - and in retrospect I should have waited to enter it myself. Here’s why: I was trying to figure out today why CAD was not behaving as I expected it to, and I looked back on my journal and my own top/down analysis…and I noticed that I started with the weekly chart. I should have started with the monthly. Here is the USDCAD monthly:

This clearly shows that price was rejected hard last month from dropping below the level we are currently sitting at. There is actually a zone of support here that we are trying to drop through. So, when I had my trade ‘stair-stepping down’, I thought I had already broken through support and was in the clear and that it was about to drop, especially after I had that pin bar on the 4hr chart - that is usually a good signal. But now I see it differently. I still think that there is stronger bearish pressure, but I am stuck in the zone. See chart below:

So, the top yellow line is where I had my original resistance level (I think) and the bottom is where I see the end of the zone. Ideally we wouldn’t open a trade in a messy area like this because the price is too unpredictable since the bulls are bears are literally fighting it out. Think of this as the battle zone. Trying to decide which way the market will go. On Market open (Sunday night for me) I will probably get out of this trade, unless it opens with a huge bearish move and breaks down through that lower level.

Well, this post is getting long and I didn’t actually get to analyzing your trades as I had planned, but I am just thinking out loud. I will add more tomorrow regarding your trades.

2 Likes

CSC demonstrates here an excellent example of how we should treat losing trades (and winning trades come to that).

Our general aim is to be successful overall and not per trade. Therefore it is important to be analytical about losers and not emotional.

It is important to search though the analysis, the decision making, the applied entry/exit selection, and the market movements that led to the gain/loss and see what there is to be learnt and/or developed. This way we learn, develop and move on - and we also identify those losses that were simply market freak moves and _nothing to do with our own overall method._This just happens from time to time.

But, maybe, the overriding key issue is that our risk management also ensures that we have another day to trade!!!

1 Like

Yes our emotions are not at all tuned to accept “Win” & “Lose” with equal feelings - Behavioural Economics will explain that we will take far more “Risk” in trying to avoid a loss, than in trying to achieve a gain. Perfectly understandable in a hunter gatherer society when you may be protecting your meal, as opposed to catching another rabbit, but entirely inappropriate in our endeavour. Our psychology has just not caught up with society and is 20,000 years out of date.

I recommend you spend a few dollars on this book - it is a journal of “Buzzy’s” trading career and addresses the emotional part very well. You can feel the ups and downs with him. It may help you to understand where you are going to and hopefully to accept it.

It’s been out a long time - you might get an earlier print for pennies !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pit-Bull-Lessons-Streets-Champion/dp/0887309569/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507971040&sr=1-1&keywords=pit+bull+lessons+from+wall+street%27s+champion+trader