Here we go! A newbie trade and journey journal

The question now is how to spot a range as it’s forming. Do we basically wait for the top and bottom to be established by price action and then wait for price to approach the top or bottom before entering?

How can we spot price action that will break out of the range? Or do we just wait until it happens and then respond accordingly? Do traders basically prepare multiple plans for entering the market and just pick which plan to go with based on what price action does?

Does a range on the daily chart have more strength then looking at a micro-trend on a lower time frame? IE we see a range on the daily chart, near the mean, but when we zoom into the 5m or 15m charts and see a trend do we want to get involved in that trend or do we wait for PA to get closer to the edges of the range?

Just when I think I am starting to get the hang of this all…

That’s why it is hard work and you never stop learning, wait till you see your first “puking camel” formation :grin:

The Ever Far From Puking VIPER

Part of me is telling me not to ask, but my curiousity is getting the better of me. I am guessing that pattern is a top, then a bottom, then a top, and then very, very large downward move that would trigger a long limit order and immediately stop it out?

Ok, so bear with me here. Common sense is telling me something, which is weird because I have no common sense.

We only look to take high probability trades. Basically, we want to sit on our hands until the money is just laying there waiting for us to pick it up. In addition, we won’t know the money is there until after someone picks it up - we can only make an educated guess as to when it’s there.

Also, the more fractals that coincide with each other, the more likely it is for price to move in that direction. What my mind is telling me is that I need to wait until price is lined up on the daily, 4-hour chart, 1-hour chart, and 15-minute chart then enter a position. For example, if price is currently pushing up on the daily chart, consolidating on the 4 hour chart, pushing down on the hourly chart and pushing up on the 15 minute chart I need to sit on my hands because the market is all over the place. On the other hand, if price is pushing up on all charts, then that would be a strong sign to get into the market using an entry technique on the 15 minute chart and setting stops and targets on the 1 hour chart.

So my job as a trader is to find these high-quality setups, wait for an entry signal to be triggered, then get in the market and use my risk modeling to protect my capital invested in the trade by setting logical stops and targets. If that is all true, then my toolbox needs to contain the setups that I want to trade, the entry techniques that I want to use, and the rules by which I manage my trades because it’s hard to be consistent without rules.

Would I be correct in saying that price action is the language by which the market tells us what is going on? I know that price action patterns can be predictive, but really, all the concepts that I have learned so far (support, resistance, ranges, trends) are basically telling us what has happened and what is happening with the price. Patterns exist because traders want consistent signals for how to enter the market when the pattern and price action agree on a possible direction and really, a trend is just another pattern, right?

My brain is racing a mile a minute and I am finding it hard to focus. I feel like I am on the verge of making a bunch of this crystal clear for myself so please bear with me here.

A single trade consists of several units: the set-up, the trigger, and the market context. The set-up is what alerts us to a potential opportunity, such as price action reaching the top of a range. The trigger is the entry signal that tells us when to enter. For example, if I see a bearish engulfing candle at the top of the range, I then have a valid set-up and a trigger. I enter the trade, and then I use the market context (including risk modeling) to set (or not set) a stop loss and one or more profit targets. After that, I watch for either a stop or target to get hit or some other exit signal that I predefined for myself.

A trading system simply specifies the set-up, the trigger, and the rules for managing the trades in that system. For example, in the three ducks system, the set-up is when price is on the same side of the 60-day moving average on the daily, 4 hour, and 5-minute charts. The trigger is when price rises above the most recent high (drops below the most recent low). Rules for managing the trade are not specified as its a discretionary system.

Which particular system (or to say, a combination of set-up, triggers, and rules) isn’t overly critical. The only thing that matters is if the trader is able to consistently execute it and it is a positive expectancy (whether in win rate or risk profile). For example, a system that has a 40% win rate but requires a 2:1 risk reward ratio still has a positive expectancy.

So at this stage of my development, I should be focusing on using demo accounts to practice various set-up and entry techniques to find what feels natural for me. I should also be testing different risk profiles to see what I am most comfortable with and then put together a trading plan that plays to the strengths I discovered while practicing in the demo accounts.

Time for a quick trade update.

As I left for work this morning I looked at my GBP/USD trade and thought to myself “Man I wish I could get out of this trade”. About 3/4 of the way to work this morning my stop got hit and my position was closed. I guess the markets really do give us what we want.

The trade exited at 1.32109. I will be posting a chart and my analysis of the trade later. My AUD/USD trade is still on and 38.5 pips in the green.

Well, I don’t know if I’d go that far! Lol…but I see what you did there. Sorry about your GU trade and good to hear that your AU is doing well so far. Remember we should always analyze winners and losers (but I know you said you were on your way to work…), whenever you have time of course.

I am certain you all are sick of hearing from me by now :slight_smile:

Anyway, here is the daily chart of the GBP/USD trade.

Reasons for Entry

• Monthly, weekly, and daily charts were all trending up.
  • Daily chart had just put in a higher and was moving higher for 5 days consecutively.

Entry Technique
I entered at market open with a 100 pip trailing stop. Why the trailing stop? I honestly don’t

Trade Specifics
Entry price of 1.33082, trailing stop loss of 100 pips. Initial stop loss at 1.32082. Position size was 300 units to make for a $0.03 pip.

Results
Stopped out as the market declined for to days in a row.

Mistakes I Made
The 10/14/17 bar looks like it might have been a bar that could have indicated the upward movement was weakening. It has a small body, long upper shadow, and almost non-existent lower shadow. I also don’t think I gave the trade enough room to run with just a 100 pip stop loss. Looking at the chart again I should have placed my stop down around 1.3000 as the market can still turn around and climb up to around 1.3600.

How to Improve
Go back to the course here and study single candlestick patterns. Practice identifying changes in trend with historical data. Perhaps incorproate a moving average crossover to help me identify upcoming potential changes in trend.

The markets giving us what we want was a quote from Jack D. Swagger’s The New Market Wizards. :slight_smile:

I just posted my GBP/USD analysis and I’d love your feedback on it if you have time.

Hi J,

Well let’s look at it from the top down. Last month was a bull month and we are on an uptrend for the past year, although it appears to me just to be a retracement within a larger pattern. I actually am not crazy about trading this pair right now because I am not sure where to draw my s/r (my data goes back to Feb 2003 and price hasn’t been at this level aside from 2 touches which I have drawn here):

Skipping over the weekly chart, last week was bullish as you had previously mentioned, and I don’t see anything very helpful there to guide us. Looking at the daily, I have just noted some areas that are showing s/r, but mainly wanted to point out that on Friday of this past week there was this smallish pin bar. Not too impressive as far as rejection candles go - but still worth noting. You have a lower high here too which could signal consolidation, or a reversal, or it could just be a lower high within the trend which may resume.

To be continued…running kids to school.

If we zoom in to the 4hr chart, we see that there was a rejection candle (it was the second to last 4hr candle printed on Friday before market close) and the last candle of the day was bearish as well. So, what this is telling us is that price is running out of steam (sellers moving in to the market).

If you’re buying, always try to buy in the valley. And if you’re selling, always try to sell at a peak (talking about getting in at points of retracement during a trend). That would be my primary take-away from this trade.

Thanks!

So my major error was not understanding that the bullish move was running out of steam. I didn’t drill down into the 4hr chart. The trade may have worked if I set a wider stop loss if what we are seeing in this pair is a really a bullish move with some minor pullbacks in it, or we might see trend reverse into bearish trend or a range at this point.

If price breaks below the most recent LL point, then we can assume a bearish trend, right?

If price comes down to the most recent LL and comes up to retest the LH but fail to break then we might be entering a range and a range based strategy would be appropriate to trade, correct?

Finally, the other scenario is that price comes down and then breaks through the LH point and creates a new high which could signal bullish trend continuation… is my thinking on track here?

Yes, I think the primary error was getting in the buy trade as it was losing steam. However I wouldn’t say a larger stop loss is the way to go. Ideally, getting in at the area of a retracement is going to save you a lot of headaches. What is to come next?

The way I’m seeing it, GU is now sitting at a nice spot. It has retraced down to both the trendline and what i’m seeing as an s/r level. But that doesn’t tell us what will happen next. We did just have a lower high, which could mean going in to consolidation or turning bearish. But it could just be a lower high, and if we see a strong rejection here at this intersection of s/r and trendline, maybe it will continue on bullish.

What I would do is watch. If it starts moving side to side, consolidating, of course just stay out. Never want to enter a trade under those conditions because we have no idea which way it will break afterward. If it shows strength, then you could consider getting long again. By strength I mean large bull candles, or if it tries to drop down and is rejected and you see a large pin candle. Vice versa for weakness. If it drops below this level, be watching for large bear candle or a retest of the level as resistance and a rejection candle demonstrating that resistance is holding.

btw i think your AUDUSD trade is sitting at a very significant price point…meaning who the heck knows what will happen next.

I agree… I changed my position from a trailing stop (since I don’t know why I did that in the first place) to a regular stop at 0.78612 making this trade risk free as I will still get some profit (well, fake profit) if I get stopped out, but I still feel bearish on this trade as the 4hr chart is showing me a bearish trend. I think price will continue to decline down to 0.77744.

Yes but usually not “find what feels” but if it is positive, and meets your requirements, keep trading it on demo, "Till It Feels Natural"

The Ever Natural VIPER

1 Like

Big surprise! I have more questions :slight_smile:

Any chance you can throw me a chart or an explanation of a setup that you consider to the best of the best?

Several questions here, and that may just be because my mind is over complicating this.

First, why is it import for the closes and opens to line up well and not have any candles that have large wicks?

Second, what does PPD mean?

Finally, in your scenario, we use the 4 hr chart to determine trend, and then use a lower time frame to time the best entry for a position that goes with the 4 hr trend, right? For example, if 4hr is bullish, then we drop to the hourly or 15 minute chart and look for a double bottom (for example)? Would the inverse work for exiting - for example, if we are in the trade and profitable, but see a double top form on the 1hr chart would we want to exit or take off some profits?

Meaning profitable I am assuming as that is the end goal, whether it’s there by high win rate or by large reward vs small risk?

Thanks so much for the detailed explanations! I am starting to feel like my head is slowly wrapping around this trading business.

Ok look at this, just a theory/idea, not trading or investment advice.

Preset a long order, EUR/USD at 1.1710, with a stop at 1.1665 and a TP at 1.1807 ish, maybe 1820, or instead of a TP at 1.1800, do a true pyramid, use you profits from the run from 1.1710 to add x lots, then set your overall TP to 1.1850. Now since you have FIFO, you could even Short the USD/CHF instead, if you wanted to let the second leg run a bit. Yeahhhh, you know what, sounds like an Oscar Meyer to me.

The Ever Full Of Ideas VIPER

No idea what pyramiding is…

Lost me here too…

Popped this into my demo account and then looked at the chart and I think I see why. Long entry is at the bottom of the range formed by the 9/29 daily candle for the high and the 10/6 daily candle for the low. Take profit at the top of the range, stop loss set to protect against a bearish breakout. Did I understand that right?

You will hear people throwing the term Pyramiding around here and they have no idea what they are talking about. A true Pyramid trade, is when you are profitable in a trade, and you think it has some “legs” so as soon as you have enough profit to allow you to margin some more units, you add to the position, thereby using the profit from the current trade, to leverage more profit out of the total run.

FIFO = First In First Out, Means if you have a Pyramid trade in place and the Second Leg, starts to come back at you, or you want to trim some size off of the second leg because of whatever you cannot, you have to close out the your first entry, then mess with the second leg. As far as the USD/CHF is concerned, these two pairs are divergent, so instead of adding to the original, you can open a Swissy in the opposite direction, so you are dollar weak both sides. Now it will not be 1:1 gain, but it is a way around FIFO.

Yes you did, it is always better to trade extremes in a rangy market, there are still opportunities, they are just different. Also this range is still young, so there may be a couple of opportunities. In the meantime you can buy the low extremes, and short the highs on Smaller fractals and make some short term trades that way, while your original position hopefully churns higher.

The Ever Willing VIPER

The Ever Giving Directions VIPER

Ok, @TradeViper, so in that chart that you posted I would have entered long at the open of the second bullish candle after the pennant pattern completed. The reason I would have entered that is that we had a very explosive upward movement. Then we would have moved sideways a bit before the market moving up further. That first bullish candle breaks though the resistance level with strength telling me that the bulls are in control. I also have two clear spots for stops depending on how aggressive I want to chase this trade. First stop option is at the low of the first bearish candle after the first upward move (sorry, your screenshot doesn’t give me times and dates). Second stop option is at the low of the indecision candle right before the first upward move.

The reason I would not have entered sooner is that I had no confirmation that the market would continue up. A case could be made to enter at the open of the third bullish candle in the first move but that is at a level where price bounced from in the past. Waiting for the extra confirmation reduces the reward but I think it would also increase the win percentage.

The only downside is that I don’t see a clear way to set profit targets. If this trade came at the start of my trading hours and I had a few hours to watch the charts then no big deal, otherwise, if I needed to go to bed and couldn’t watch the charts then I would probably set my TP for a 2:1 risk reward ratio.

Does my reasoning of why this is a good setup make sense?

In other news, time for updates on my current demo swing trades.

AUD/USD - I took off half my position as the pair is starts to move into a range, and I also moved my stops to yesterday’s open price (0.78506). I want a very tight stop to preserve as much profit as possible before I no longer have a clear directional bias on this pair. I also set a take profit target at 0.78110. The price is currently approaching the mean of the range now so it’s a wait and see what happens. I will probably keep my stops tight as price continues to go down. This trade is currently 45 pips in the profit for a half position (250 units).

USD/JPY - I entered a short position at 112.178 as price was halfway between the upper bound of the range and the mean. My stop is at 113.5 which is that the highest high of the previous bullish leg in the range. Take profit is at the bottom of the range at 108.5. I might have entered too early on this trade as price is moving steadily against me. Currently -60 pips on this trade.

Next Steps in my Development
I feel like I am getting the hang of swing trading with price action. I feel more confident in my abilities to read the charts and understand what they are telling me. I am not ready to throw my money at the market yet, but I think I can sit down and write my trading plan and codify my setups and strategies into words.

Goals for the coming weekend:
A) Test box breakouts on a tick chart in a new demo account set to $100 with 20:1 leverage

B) Write out my trading plan

C) Test out a trading strategy where I take my directional bias from the daily chart, set stops and targets on the 1hr chart, but use the 15-minute chart for entry into the position. I need to think more about how I put this strategy into a series of IF statements (If this happens, then do this - remember, I am a computer programmer)

D) Learn to use and love MT4 - having gotten my start using NinjaTrader this might be a longer-term goal because I used to rely on Fibonacci retracements and extensions but I have dropped them from my trading lately

Ideally, I will reach a point where I have 5 potential trading strategies that I can trade at any one point. Some strategies for the shorter time frames like tick charts, 5 minute charts, and 15 minute charts, and some strategies for longer period time frames such as 1 hour or 4 hour charts.

When I first start trading with real money, I will only be able to be in front of the charts for about 3 hours a day in the evening. I can monitor my trades throughout the day and roll stops or adjust targets if needed, but analyzing charts and entering trades is not something I would be able to do while working. Also there may be some weeks where I just won’t have time to be in front of my computer every night such as having to work late some nights or having other things going on.

While at first glance trading tick charts or 5 minute charts seems like it would lend itself well to my schedule, the missing nights would really hurt my overall returns. However, having swing trades active in a second account would cover the weeks where I can’t sit in front of my computer and trade the short term trades in the evening.