Hiker lost for 5 days survived off berries and bugs

makes perfect sense LOL

Basically, if you ever get lost in the wild just stay calm. If you see a bug – eat eat. If you sea a bear - pet it. Follow these tips and you will be fine :slight_smile:

Smart man. I’m guessing you hike a lot?

Personally, have you tried eating bugs? :open_mouth:

Holy crap, 1 week!!! That’s crazy!

1 Like

I know someone that has fasted for longer than that LOL it’s actually not that bad

No, i am afraid that i am a total coward about that. The nearest i have got to that was snails in France.

I’ve actually been reading up on this and want to try it but mostly because there’s an app for it :rofl: They say fasting really improves one’s focus and promotes autophagy. Have you heard of Dr. Jason Fung?

I’ve unfortunately had fried crickets once as part of a blind taste test project. That’s probably the extent of what I’ll try (not that I would have done that voluntarily). I don’t think we’re living at a time where we’d need to start eating bugs yet so I will remain grateful I can exclude them from my diet. :joy:

It is absolutely incredible that he managed to survive because it is not an easy thing to remain completely lost for so long, it is an extreme situation that many cannot leave and most go crazy when living similar situations.

1 Like

Hakuna Matata saves lives.

I hate mosquitoes. It is impossible that i will go into the wilderness in the 1st place. If i get lost in the wilderness, i will head in one direction until i hit the road or river. I will also watch the sky and observe where the birds fly to and follow the birds. The land where birds go to must be habitable.

Makes sense but then I wouldn’t know what to do when I do end up going there. What do I eat, how do I set up my “tent” plus a million other logistical questions I wouldn’t know to deal with because like you it is also impossible for me to even think about going into the wilderness :sweat_smile:

One can last for five days without food but dehydration and exposure can be fatal much earlier. I am glad this guy made it.

Interesting thread :sunglasses: And thanks to @anon46773462 for the vote of confidence :smile:

Trouble is that the stuff I make has an effect rather similar to Huxley’s “Soma” and may not be entirely approved of by the Medics for the purpose of recovery as hoped.

However, it is quite possible to drink water from “the wild” given a few caveats. Depending on where you are - for example I would suspect that the water from the lake manxx pictures so frequently to make us jealous - could probably be drunk straight from the lake without ill-effects. I have a boat on a lowland river which passes through a number of towns and sometimes swim in the river. Have done since I was a kid and that river (as with all others in the uk) is immensely cleaner than it was back in the '60’s thanks mainly to the actions of the “Anglers Co-operative Association” in the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s. The Thames for example now has FISH in it !

However I digress - I do swallow water from the river accidentally and always have - but would not feel confident with actually drinking it deliberately. I do “Push limits” with these things and do eat all sorts of “Wild food” and odd looking mushrooms and when “Playing out” like this I carry a “Millbank Bag” (British Army filtration Bag) which will, hung from a tree branch filter river water and remove all sediment and some of the larger bacterial contaminants - they are pretty cheap at around £10 - Well that is stage 1 - After filtration, boiling the water would render it completely safe - unless there are Chemical contaminants in it - which is fairly unlikely in the types of areas you would be likely to get lost in.

Reading on yes I do eat fish and animals / birds legally gathered from the wild. I do not eat insects from the wild since around me insects need all the help they can get due to dreadful hedge-cutting and “open space management” = mainly by those “Local Authorities and Highways AUthorities” who actually KNOW and completely ignore the Law on such matters.

I will at some point try “Swan mussles” from the river with some nervousness, but One thing I am determined to eat this year are Snails !

I have researched and we have NO Poisonous snails in the uk (Good starting point) I actually like “L’escargots” we are served with in restaurants in butter and garlic and we have largish snails in this country which may or may not be the same species - They cluster in the winter in various “Safe places” and I expect I can gather them with ease. This year I am determined to give them a try !

A few years ago I bought some smaller “Stripey snails” in spain from a market and have also noticed in the uk in winter we have very similar looking snails - which climb trees and form large congregations to hibernate in winter - th0ugh what possible survival advantage this would offer I have no idea, gathering them also seems very easy, so I might try them too.

(Slugs are “Shelless snails” and some grow very large - but at the moment - THAT is a bit “A-Level” for me - Why ? I can’t even begin to explain ! )

Anyone else going to give snails a whirl ? - Or better still - any of our European members who DO gather snails from teh wild, perhaps give us some tips ? :smiley:

I have not tried!!! How would you describe it? Is it just like mussels but… 100x slimier??

If I got lost in the wild too

What do you mean? Like you would have survived also? :slight_smile:

They’re kinda chewy, actually, rather than slimy.

Speaking of unusual protein - has anyone here tried frog meat? I have and I actually liked it.

1 Like

That’s true - and yes I’ve tried Frogs legs in USA - I won’t eat the french version as I’m not happy with the way they are reputedly detatched. but yeh they’re ok as are Aligator tails !

Watched “Alone” the other night and the guy was Alone on Vamcouver island for 58 days. On day 58 ? he found 3 big slugs and was happy the he’d had “A real meal” after not having caught anything to eat for 3 days !

Not exactly to my taste, but I suppose “if Needs must” - yes of course I would !

1 Like

Worth watching The Revenant for a realistic impression of being lost in the wilderness. Its the most exhausting film I’ve ever seen.

I’ve two time s been lost in bad weather on Dartmoor but it was nothing like this.

I have! I remember it tasting just like chicken, it was fried though IIRC. How was yours cooked? :frog:

That’s a good show! I’ve only caught like two episodes of it but definitely made me realize how I will die in the wilderness in 2 days lmao

Yes. Just a serious of many many unfortunate events. Very good movie though.

Mine were fried too and did kind of tasted like chicken, but I like chicken so I had no objections. :smiley: