How do I STOP LOOKING?!

Hey guys,

Here’s the deal.

I make a trade I feel extremely comfortable with - y’know, good R:R, trending more solid than a rock, and low capital % risk overall.

But I like to keep myself updated a little too much, and it stresses me when the trade start to goes against me, but I like to keep informed. It just means that the plateaus and retracements stress me out, but I know (assume) they’re just retracements has a likelihood of pushing back toward my TP line.

How can you guys cease checking and only check in on your orders regularly without feeling like you could be missing out on a trade going sour?

Hello TomGaffney,
The secret is to be sure about your trade. If you have any suspicions that your position will turn against you then is really logical to be anxious and monitor your trade. On the other side, you can have a look on it but is better to leave the market to drive the price towards your profit. Of course, there are sometimes that you feel sure and the market has other plans. That’s why trades need to be very cautious.

Just enter the appropriate market order and allow the platform to do its work. Once you hit your T/P/S/L targets, your positions will be automatically closed. There is no need to be staring at the screen all day.

2 Likes

Set your stop-loss. Walk away. Do some fun things instead.

2 Likes

you cant. such things come only with experience. dont worry that you are behaving the way you are its just natural and everyone behaves like this in the beginning. it aswell helps you to collect screen time and get to know the chart better. its a faze you must go through.

1 Like

This is a very generic thing to get panic or anxiety on trading. But if you are confident then it will no matter. If you have any doubt than why not you try first on your demo platform. You will get almost accurate result with your live trading. And also you can modify or redefine it. Don’t get panic and don’t follow the trade it will decrease your confident. You will lose your strength in next trading.

It is like a speech, if you plan your speech you’ll be less anxious.

For me personally, I tend to research and analyse the market, make a trade plan, know what my capital risk is, then I won’t be phased, most importantly use money that I have spare. If you are using your savings, then you will get emotional, definitely.
If you do your research intensively, you’ll be more confident in your trades.

1 Like

I agree with the others. There is no specific way to stop staring and checking all the time. It depends on your strategy, whether you are confident enough in your order and on your experience. That is why it would be better to be safe by placing adequate values on SL and TP. If you expect or predict any specific market movements, pending orders could help as well.

2 Likes

This is why; I don’t see my balance and equity when my trades are running! I focus on my process rather than result!

As others have said, set your targets and stop losses. Once done, and you are in all the trades your plan allows you to be in, close your platform down and walk away. You aren’t paid by the hour here. If you really want to be connected at all times, check to see if your broker has a mobile app or can at least text you alerts when certain things happen.

Also, you can’t will the market to move one way or the other. I can tell you that from first-hand experience.

For me, I use video games to distract myself once all my trades are on. My phone alerts me when a position is closed, then I go back in and look to see if there is another opportunity for me to take advantage of.

I, personally, still haven’t learned how not to look at my trades all the time. The one thing that helps me reduce stress levels is to keep positions open for as short a time as possible.

These are some really great tips and it seems like a skill that’ll come with time.

I’ve already made some strides in being confident enough to keep a trade open overnight and have a trade open over a couple of days.

Unfortunately the order in question was stopped out as it flew past my point of invalidation, but I’m still alive and learning :slight_smile: