How do you deal with a bad trading week?

As a trader, you should be aware of the fact that profit and losses are part of the business. You should not take it too hard on yourself. It is better to adopt the mindset of a trader. Take every failure as a learning lesson and do not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

I start by dealing with it outside of trading by finding something that calms me. A hobby, exercise, bubble bath, reading, things like that. Once it doesn’t feel like such a big deal I just go back in to get a closer look at what went wrong. If I made mistakes, I learn from them and move on with a new outlook for the coming week.

The fact that I can get over it, learn from my mistakes and do better in the future doesn’t let me get demotivated. All weeks are not the same, and a bad trading week does make me lose faith over my strategy. Just accept your losses and move on. It requires a strong mentality which you can develop through improving your trading strategy.

It’s useless to grudge over losses. What is gone is gone, it can’t be brought back.
When I face a bad trading week, I try to stay calm and composed, and logically find out what went wrong. I know it’s easier said than done especially when you lose a big amount but I also know that overthinking my losses would make me emotional which may result in distractions, fear or revenge trading.

I totally agree with you on this and to add on, I maintain a trading journal which helps me a lot to keep a check losses I faced and i try not to repeat them again.

When I deal with a bad trading week, I refrain myself from trading until I’ve found the errors. I evaluate the strategy and write down my errors in my journal. I am a determined person and take losses as lessons. Taking a small break while losing is better than aggressive trading.

1 Like

A bad trading week in forex can be frustrating, but it is important to remember that every week is different and that there is always the potential for a rebound. The best way to deal with a bad trading week is to stay calm and focused, and to keep your eye on the long-term goal. Review your trades for the week and identify any areas where you may have made mistakes. Use this information to improve your trading strategy for the future. Remember that even the best traders have bad weeks occasionally, so don’t let a few losses get you down.

Trading is all about acceptance sans attachment to emotions. A bad trading week generally denotes something wrong in your trading. The events in the market will move up and down, but we cannot blame the market for that. All of this theory might seem too simple to do. But with practice, it becomes easier and lighter. As for a bad trading week, consider it a lesson in learning. It might be challenging for you to accept such a week, but if you persist, you will not let your negative emotions flow through you.

I have had some bad trades this past week, especially on crypto. I just decided to take a little pause to re-strategize, That could be something we all can try.

I simply look into my mistakes thoroughly and try to come up with better strategies

Trading is business, and no businessman can consistently turn a profit in every trade he makes. I treat this loss accordingly and continue to make more money to make up for the losses. I learn from my mistakes and do not think about the lost money. I think of it as a chance to learn more about trading.

I generally try to leave it behind and look forward to next week. I do record everything in my journal and that helps me to get rid of my negative thoughts and emotions as well. I see if I did something wrong and try to correct my mistakes. We must focus on the here and now when it comes to trading. And that is why it is important to trade with a calm mind.

It happens; usually I do close my trading chart, if I see the market is too volatile and against my trading setups!

Instead of getting depressed into such situation it’s better to firstly look for reason of losses then look for solutions and then come back with a solid trading plan.

Take a quick break. Consider, analyse, and try to figure out where you went wrong. It will assist you in efficiently recognising your mistakes and avoiding repeating them in the future.

The key is to understand the market and not to be too irritated by it that it takes the life out of your trading, and you cannot trade. Even if the trading goes the ‘mess way’, it is just a lesson to be learned and nothing else. Complaining never works, ever.

Yes! I really feel taking breaks allows us to understand our feelings and spare time to think about what should be done to make the trades better.

It’s all fine, and everything will go alright when we are not too emotional about trading losses. Losses are a part of the game, and if we suffer a bad trading week, it does not mean that we let ourselves feel down or depressed. We can take some time to focus on something else, and then we can have a look at the events that made our trading go wrong. We can always correct our mistakes, but if we remain emotional, we can never do that.

If a week or a day turns out to be unprofitable, then it is better to stop trading and work on mistakes to understand what exactly influenced the bad trading: a trading strategy that does not work well enough that should be improved, or the actions of the trader himself such as haste, greed, the ability to wait or excitement. Therefore, only when you understand the reasons for your mistakes, only then should you continue trading without repeating them again.

I usually take a break from trading for a week on demo unless a clear high probability opportunity presents itself. This gives me time to reassess my trades and identify any mistakes without succumbing to revenge trading.

1 Like