How do you swing trade EUR, GBP in this consolidation period?

Hi,

We have been consolidating in many pairs for a few weeks now, especially with EURUSD, GBPUSD, AUDUSD etc. I only like to trade with the trend, so if we take GBPUSD as an example, you can see on the MACD signal lines that we’ve had 4 bullish divergences, but the price kept coming down. It looks like however this may finally be the bottom and we may get a bigger push higher. However, this is just my instinct, but I should technically be going ahead and shorting it if my system is telling me to “trade the trend” as I did successfully have a short trade setup on GBPUSD last week. However, if I shorted it with one of my setups this week I would have been stopped out.

My question is, should I keep trading the trend short until the trend really looks over (based on price action and trendline break to the long side), or should I avoid trading the pair as soon as we enter consolidation and wait for several weeks before the trend continues in either direction again?

Has anyone opened any new swing positions this week or at the end of last week or are you not getting any high probability setups because of the consolidation? I know there is the ECB announcement on Thursday so I wonder if we will see a trend breakout this week. I also look at many pairs including US indices as well, so I am not lacking any trades and don’t really need another strategy for range trading.

Thank you for your help!

As you can see here in these charts…the GBP USD was in fact within Consolidation and I had warned about trading short because of the weakness of the Bear Candle that attempted to start the breakout/resume the Downtrend…

I am actually looking to go long here if the right bullish signal is given later this week…

STEPS TO TAKE TO SPOT/MASTER CONSOLIDATION

Become familiar with the various types of Consolidations and how to draw them using Japanese Candlesticks

Become familiar with the types of Candles that end trends and the Trends/Waves that lead to the formation of Consolidations so you can recognize when the market is transitioning from Trends to Consolidations allowing you to switch your strategy in time!..

Know the types of Candlestick Signals that indicate the start of movements to the other side of Consolidation …

…which can provide you with profitable movements as was the case here with this CAD JPY and AUD JPY trades a few weeks ago on my live account…

AUD JPY

CAD JPY

Any questions let me know…

The next topic on Consolidations is then how to spot False Breakout Reversals…let me know if interested in that…

Duane
DRFXTRADING

I would love to know about false breakouts, because I am still testing my strategy on trading during consolidation

The problem is, even though E/U is making higher lows, it is still making lower highs (consolidating). According to Dow theory,the downtrend isn’t over until the last lower high is broken. Only then will you have a new uptrend.

A lot of really great info in your post. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man

NZD USD also shaping for aFalse Breakout Reversal

It could rally above Resistance but if the signal is not strong enough( 1 of 5 reasons we see False Breakouts as explained in this book)…

…then a Reversal is likely.

1 Like

…and as predicted…False Breakour Reversal due to Weak Bull Signal…

1 Like

yup, that makes sense to me. Thanks!