How is forex trading different from gambling?

It makes me crazy why there are still one saying forex is gambling?. Forex is not gambling, it can be predicted using system. and there are many system that proven successfully.
I’ve ben trading using Mayzus broker and Liteforex also. No gambling there

Honestly it’s simple logic that gambling can’t be controlled unless you not the player, but the creator. In Forex it is easily controllable and we can make profits consistently which is impossible to do in gambling given it’s completely dependent on luck which no one has control over, but with knowledge and experience we can regularly win over Forex.

I think there is a big difference between forex and gambling, although both involve money, there is a difference. There is not particular stratey when gambling, but in forex there is a strategy that can put odds into your favour!

lets do a though experiment :

how gambling works :
you pick an option, place your bet, the deciding event happens, there is a pay out or you loose.
A binary win/loss state

how stock trading works (assuming you do a flip a coin level betting) :
you pick an option, place your bet, the deciding event starts to happen; if it going your way, you hold, else you close the bet early (statistically a robot that places a hedged bet on the market and then closes the one that is making a loss should always win by momentum at small margin, so go figure)

so yea, stock trading is gambling for smart people

Forex trading is gambling. There is no difference.

However, doing forex trading correctly is like card-counting. Whether your system is fundamentals based or technical, what you’re essentially doing is creating a system that will allow you to enter into trades where the probabilities are in your favour, and stay out when the odds are unknown or against you. That’s how card counting is too.

The best thing you can do is understand that forex trading is a form of gambling, and focus on playing the probabilities, and avoid expecting to have certainty with any trade that you make.

Everything in life it’s a game and it’s a game of choosing to do it or not
Left or right , up and down , good or bad
Gambling is a game forex is a game
We just can control how much we risk and how much we want to lose each time for a how much reward we doing this
You can do this once in one day ,one week or one month or one year to get that percentage you willing to trade or bet in

You still can trade high risky trades once in a year and get rewarded 20 percent on your capital only in that small period of time lets say few weeks

And then come back to the regular 1% on single trade

Many people become rich in this way being lucky

Forex = Gambling

But … In forex , you can figure out an edge and take advantage of it.

Does it matter if it is gambling or not?

My tax authority considers it to be investing and not gambling. That is all I care about (considering the different rates). :slight_smile:

So it is per definition not gambling.

For my self, I do not take it as a matter, i just trying and trying to get much profit every I enter the market.
For great account choice, i suggest https://www.mayzus.com/stp-mini.html because this is great and bonafid broker in arround the world.

Forex trading business and gambling has very thin line and only those who this difference and do not breach that thin line will survive in this highly risky forex market to make money.

It is gambling in one aspect- you never know what the crowd will do, only you can guess where the trend will go. Is there have no such a system which can give that kind of information. But your percentage can go higher with the news, trends, history, analysis… How can you made profit with gambling machine, with red and black button? Luck? Only?

In Forex, you must have hundreds of pips to give, cause is the life here. If you don’t like it, go trade treasury notes…either way!

Forex trading is any day different from gambling but if you start putting money into the Forex market without any strategy, you will land up doing gambling only.
Forex trading needs awareness about the markets and proper analysis needs to be done by the traders before holding positions. If a person invests his/her money into the forex market and makes use of serious techniques and tactics, it would also get differentiated from gambling. :58:

I have thought about this very question. My answer is this; It can be both for you, gamble or investment, depending on your view of it. Treat trading as a business and also incorporate proper money management, and you will see the sharp contrast, you’ll have a better chance of success.

Alex makes a good point, here: it’s all too easy (and I’m probably no less guilty of this than anyone else, here) to assume that all aspiring traders and newcomers to the BabyPips forum have the same intention of eventually making a full-time living from trading. The reality, of course, is pretty different: for many people it’s intended only as a form of online relaxation or hobby, even if they’d prefer to earn some money from it than to lose, and to some it’s never really intended as anything much different from a gamble … and (“note to self”!) actually we do well to remember that.

Forex, in particular, among trading media, is particularly open to attracting gamblers, partly because of the ease of availability of high leverage through counterparty market-makers who actively and loudly present themselves to a largely uninitiated public as “brokers”, because their own business model revolves around exploiting those with a gambling mentality.

For me it is very similar. Here and there is necessary to know and to feel the moment.

I’m not a gambler but … is it so necessary to feel it? I thought that feeling the moment comes with practice, and practice comes from some theory? hah

Well I feel trading is not like gambling, if you are clear what you are doing! Those who believe forex trading to be gambling will end up getting same long term results as in Las Vegas. But if you treat forex as a business with proper risk and money management strategies, you certainly have better chances of success.

Forex is just another instrument to speculate through, despite if you win or lose.
Trading is a form of speculation, which is gambling, albeit more controlled than other speculative mediums. The physical aspect of trading is easy, hence why many beginners are able to make money trading a demo account. but once you switch to a live account, in theory nothing changes apart from your own psychology.