How is it possible that a candles open price is not previous candles close price?

Hello new dude or dudette, I think I missed it, so whom pray tell is said Broker??? Inquiring minds need to know.

The Never Reading The Enquirer VIPER

Yes, it could be because of many reasons; but I see so many gaps on lower time frames during high voltage items of news!

Hi @Luke_Ronchi

The gaps you refer to are of a different kind. They are due to dramatic price jumps during major market moving events. By contrast, the gaps @justAnewbie identified in this discussion were for a broker with uncommon MT4 chart settings. Their charts only begin drawing a new candle when a new price quote is received during the particular time interval for that candle.

For example, on a 1-minute chart, their charts would only begin drawing the candle for 10:31 when after the first price update is received in between 10:31:00 and 10:31:59, even if that first price quote is not until 10:31:23, which is 23 seconds into the 1-minute time interval for the candle. And if there are no price updates received betwee 10:30:43 and 10:32:07, then the 10:31 candle is skipped entirely on their charts.

That results in gaps not only in price but also in time with that broker’s charts. Also, because they don’t begin drawing the new candle until the first price update for that time interval is received, price gaps between candles on their charts is the norm rather than the exception.

1 Like

Thanks for your clear descriptions, very informative indeed.

1 Like