How long to stay in demo?

When you feel you have learned everything and can do trading on a live account, you can consider a live account to trade. Otherwise, trade on a demo account until you feel so.

As long you don’t feel confident in placing trades in micro accounts.

I think 6 months of demo account practice would be enough for an average beginner. But it also depends on your learning ability. I would say the amount of time you spend on demo trading is not that important. You should pay more attention to developing your skills and gaining knowledge as you trade. There is no need to rush and if you are too keen to go live then I would recommend starting with a micro account to play it safe.

No fixed answer! Use your demo unless you are a consistent player! It takes such a long period of time to learn Forex!

Stay on a demo account till the time you feel confident enough to invest your real money on live trading.

Failing to treat a demo account as though it is live is the mistake I think many new traders make. Time spent on demo helps to forge solid habits that will aid in the battle you will face with your own psychology when it comes to real money. Without those habits you flounder quite quickly.

2 Likes

This is a personal decision. But I’m thinking 6 months or more on demo at least. And I think you need a couple hundred trades under your belt. I mean if you’re scalping, that comes quick. But if you’re taking 1 trade per day, after 6 months, that gets you over the 100 trades.

Are you keeping more than just numbers, like entries, exits, position size, SL, TP, etc?

Maybe your mood? News events during the week? Are you coming back after the trade to review?

Generally, once you deal with the complexities of the market and understand how trading will fit into your real life and you are consistently profitable for several months, you may be ready to trade.

I would say as long as you are learning and not self-assured enough to go on live you should remain in the demo.

It’s all about your mental setup; I believe till now demo is the best way to learn Forex!

That’s the real scenario; it takes such a long time; I also used my demo more than 1 year; and till now I’m learning from my own trading mistakes!

I demo traded for 8 months in total. I started making profits but devoted six months more to be consistent. I went live when I was confident but to my surprise it was entirely different from the demo account. I felt a rush of emotions when real money was involved. Took me a while to manage emotions but I did it well.

1 Like

Each person will be different but I’d recommend 6 months minimum.
I still use demo accounts to tweak and refine my strategies

According to me every new trader who enters the market the first time they had to try strategies with the demo account which gives you the best free lots amount in your demo account.
capital street fx I recommended to you who try with demo account. this platform gives you lots of bonuses and free information.

Yup! Definitely do what works for you! There’s not one way to do things! :slight_smile:

All traders take their own time. When you trade on a demo account, you need to focus on building a trading system and getting familiar with the trading environment. Once your system starts giving you results, try to fetch consistent results for some time. Then, you can move to a demo account.

It is up to you to decide how long you want to stay in a demo account. You may want to stay in a demo account until you are consistently making profits, or you may feel comfortable moving to a live account after a shorter period of time.
Or for a longer period of time if you are still learning in fx.

I used a demo account for 8 months to gain the necessary knowledge and hands-on trading experience. Demo accounts are valid for an indefinite period of time. The duration is determined by the individual. In general, if you feel comfortable enough executing your trades and have a solid strategy in place, I believe it is time to move on to a live account.

I think 6 months of demo trading would be enough for an average beginner. But like OP said, everyone’s journey is different. Still at least 4 months of practice is recommended. Always start small while going live and come back to trading demo again if you are encountering several losses in a row.

May I know your issues on demo? Actually, till now demo is the best way to start; but there is no issue if you started with tiny live trading capital!