How many percent do you make every month from trading ?!

…And there we are, gone full circle, back to square one!:laughing::laughing:

What is a “forex account”! :

• Trader A has $50 in his single account and has no other equity for trading

-Trader B has $500 in his account and another $1000 allocated for trading but in his bank account until/unless needed

-Trader C has $50 000 in his account and draws a few thousand whenever he feels like it

• Trader D has two accounts with $25 000 in each, one is for trading and the other for developing new ideas

And many, many more variations. How can one ask a simple question of “what percentage do you make every month” and hope to get a series of answers that are compatible and comparable?

All the metrics you mention are real and good, even essential in many cases. But I really doubt that one will get a set of replies here that are remotely comparable on the basis on which they have been calculated. Even if they are actually true in the first place! And if they are not comparable then they are meaningless, if not actually dangerous.

For the purpose of this thread I assume it was asked in the context of a single trading account with funds deposited for the sole reason of speculating. Just keep it simple :wink:

1 Like

Exactly! and that it why it is so meaningless!

The amount one keeps in one’s account is an entirely arbitrary sum beyond the essential minimum. Someone who trades for income may draw regularly and keep a fairly consistent balance in their account. But an equity builder may only draw whenever he wishes to place funds elsewhere and in the meantime the balance, hopefully, is rising.

The balance can change quite dramatically from one month to another.

The point is what possible use is such a percentage figure given by other traders unless there is a consistent definition of the basis on which it is calculated by each of them.

And are we to assume that people are consistent in their monthly percentages whatever basis is used? Are we to simply, for example, use a 12 month moving window and divide it by 12? If so then shouldn’t we also ask what are the minimum and maximums during that 12 month period?

krugman25, and other doubting Thomases, I have nothing to gain by lying, I can’t show you other people statements but I can verify with my eyes their gain. I really do not care if you want to believe it or not 1% is not only possible and doable and I know traders and work with that are that emotionally mature.

It is unfortunate that the traders that really master this will not post in the open and it’s because in many cases NDA’s, Laws, etc. and doubting Thomas that no matter what you show them they would find a way to not believe.

Exactly, my point @midwest. There is no value in this kind of thread because nothing is provable, most people (including me) have absolutely no interest in giving such personal information, and even where it is given, it may doubted, challenged and totally unclear anyway on what basis it has been calculated in order to compare it with other figures.

But there we go, I’ve said my thoughts on the topic, it is naturally entirely up to the individual what metrics make sense to them in assessing their success/change. The main issue is to understand exactly what a specific metric is actually telling you and not just take it at face value. Statistics can be useful and, at the same time, can be totally misleading if one does not understand the underlying factors that it is measuring.

@anon46773462 Probably makes a good case on why a trader needs to decide how much equity they want to reserve for an account and not touch it if it all possible.

Next month I am going to add another $40,000 to my trading account. What I will do is calculate my return from the start of the year until that point. Once I add the $40,000, I will begin calculating my returns from scratch. I will then take all of those throughout the year and find my average annual return. It makes it a little more difficult to calculate a portfolio return if you are moving money around all the time, but it is still possible.

That’s also why RoC and risk-adjusted RoC calculations are a good secondary metric. It allows you to calculate returns on just deployed capital, thus the portfolio balance is irrelevant along with withdraws/deposits.

1 Like

Correct! On the other hand; many traders try to use confused entry points because of completing the daily trading target.

30% a month profit, yet only a few weeks ago you were asking how to find a mentor to teach you. Thats one hell of a turnaround

Then how do you trade on Saturday and Sunday? I think, the percentage will be around 20-23% based on the active days.

Trading cryptos maybe?

My monthly yield is even more random than the Forex price action itself because the strategies intentions are usually to produce fortune, the capital gain varies with the markets situation and the instruments focused on.

Monthly average being conservative applying my favorite strategies and tactics is usually greater than 5%.

I am not a particularly ambitious or aggressive trader, I usually aim (and I stress on aim) for about 10% per month. That is not always possible, sometimes my profit is more, occasionally I end up in the red. If I do end up in the red I try to be patient and not revenge trade the next month.

krugman what does RoC stand for?

about .50% daily attached is this mornings. Keep in mind that trading a .02 Lot size. Today I did move to a ,05 lot size… big time for me. I will stay at .05 lot for at least a month until I am comfortable with the new risk proportions.

Return on Capital. That is the return on the actually money you have tied up rather than the return as compared to your overall portfolio. It’s a metric to see how efficiently you are using your tied up capital.

Sure I knew that, must be old age… so is that just he growth over base percentage?

Thanks for the reply

I am not sure what you mean by “growth over base percentage”, but just to be clear there are 3 different returm values you can calculate per trade.

I’ll use an example, I make a trade that makes $1,000 profit. That trade required $1,000 of maintenance margin. The notional value of the position was $100,000. My portfolio balance is $500,000

*Return on Capital (deployed capital) is % gain of maintenance margin, so profit RoC would be 100%.

*Return on notional is % gain of the notional value of the position and would be 1% .

*Portfolio Return is % gain by portfolio size or 0.2%.

1 Like

thank you for that detailed explanation. understood.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining it in detail