How many triangles?

No one can work out how many triangles are in this picture

(or, so they claim, on the site where I found this)

See whether you can figure it out. — Post your answer here.

(first correct answer wins a FREE one-year subscription to Babypips!)

I only managed to get to 24 before my eyes popped - but at least thats a start here! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Manxx, post:2, topic:109924, full:true”]
I only managed to get to 24 … [/quote]

Well, that was quick!

The correct answer is 24 (according to the folks who said that “no one” can figure it out). I guess they didn’t take into consideration the brainiacs at Babypips.

Congratualtions, Manxx. You have won another year of Babypips, absolutely free!

Now, obviously, you can’t leave us.

Agreed, 24.

Good puzzle.

Great! Thanks! I’ve never won anything before! :blush: :smiley:

But maybe I’ll just stick to the puzzles! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The real answer is 25.

You guys missed the small triangle which is the first letter of the signature.

Where is my membership?

1 Like

Haha! So the annual subscription. Is passed over to you - less about 12hours. :smile:

… But wait a minute!.. before you go crazily racing through all the thread archives on your free membership… What about the word “triangles” there, does that not also contain a triangle? Did that make it 26 and the subscription back to me? :wink: :smile:

Bonus or tie-break question. How many squares below?

1 Like

I saw 30 squares. I am right? hehehe

I got to 40 so far…

I wasn’t given the right answer with the puzzle.

I also got to 40 but was wondering whether there might be more (as there often seem to be, with puzzles like this)? :slight_smile:

There are more if you count oblongs, but they are not squares.
If there are no higher answers then we have to share whatever you have decided to offer as first prize.
I note you didn’t offer an additional annual subscription to BP - was this because you were worried that you might win it?! :smile: :smile: :wink:

1 Like

I only found 13 triangles.

I was up to 35 squares but I lost my place.

There is only one point that can be an apex for any triangles i.e. the top point. Then there are four different horizontal base lines you, can use with this apex.

Each of these base lines form 6 different triangles from the apex. 1 using outside lines, 3 separate internal ones and 2 overlapping internal ones.

4 levels X 6 triangles = 24. That is all I found here.

The squares question I guess is still open…

There are 7 triangles in this picture

1 Like

There are 27 squares in this picture

I made it to 20+ triangles then lost my place lol.

Im still at 35 squares.

I really enjoy these kind of optical illusions/quiz/trick questions. Super fun😊

40 squares. :grinning:

35 is the correct answer. Do not count rectangles and oblongs.

There are definitely 40 squares (not counting rectangles/oblongs). The question was whether there might be more than 40.

It seems probably not - I showed it to someone with a maths degree who’s used to these puzzles, and he said 40 immediately. It’s quite a well-known puzzle, apparently.