How often to Trade

Hi All!!!

Recently started at babypips and been enjoying it thoroughly. Made a few trades in the forex but all in all am in a minus.
I have a newbie question. How often do you guys trade? and what should be realistic newbie trading expectations in terms of growing the account. I feel that I jump into risky trades because I want to trade and feel there is no other trade coming any time soon!!!

Much Appreciated for your help.

Are u still in demo,?

read it somewhere, doesn’t know it is true or not,Some fund manager with 50000 dollar balance and his target is 8%

Newbie trading expectation : surviving your account in 1 year

Mostly i make 20 trade in a week,

There is no correlation between how often someone trades and how profitable they are… It seems like you have noticed that as sounds like the more often you trade the more FOMO you have and end up jumping into trades you shouldn’t.
Personally I currently trade a couple of hours a day. And by ‘trade’ that doesn’t mean that I will always place an order. Sometimes just sitting on your hands and not taking a trade can put you in the top portion of retail traders.

All the best,
Nate

1 Like

What is a ‘risky trade’?

What you’ve asked actually goes into a long discussion about trading psychology. To keep it short as you are a beginner I will say it is due to lack of discipline to follow your trading plan which could be due to a number of reasons.

You should have no expectation about growing your account. The expectation of a beginner is they will lose money not grow an account. So your aim is to not lose money. Forget about millionaire in a year dreams. Just try not to lose money for 3 months.

One approach would be to put into your trading plan is you can only take 1 trade a day. No matter how small the loss or win you can only trade once. Follow.your setup criteria. Once you’ve traded, close your trading terminal and stop looking at the charts- you’re done for the day. Go and enjoy the weather. If you risk 1% a trade the max you’ll lose is 5%. Let us know how you get on next week.

Personally, I think the number of trades you take per week depends on what kind of trader you are. :open_mouth: If you’re a scalper, you’d probably have more trades than day traders or other long term-traders. :open_mouth: Since I’m trading part-time, I also try to get in on just 1 to 2 trades per week. :blush: