How to better trade Cross Currency Pairs

While exploring the web, I found an informative article relating to currency correlation as well as how to trade currency crosses in a much better way. I am sharing this article for review of BP Community

Currency Pairs Correlation in Forex Market: Cross Currency Pairs

I am pasting an important extract from the said article so that you may get an overview about the whole article.

Another Important Example:

If EURUSD goes up and GBPUSD goes down at the same time, EURGBP goes up strongly.

Maybe this is the most important case that we can trade based on this rule.

It happens many times that EURUSD and GBPUSD move against each other and that is the best time to trade EURGBP.

Now you know why EURGBP doesn’t move strongly most of the time.

It is because EURUSD and GBPUSD move in the same direction most of the time.

For example, they go up at the same time.

Therefore, EURGBP doesn’t show any significant movement, because when both of the currencies of a currency pair go up or down at the same time, that currency pair doesn’t show any strong movement and direction.

I hope you know why a currency pair goes up or down.

It goes up when the first currency’s value goes up OR the second currency’s value goes down.

For example, EURUSD goes up, if Euro value goes up or USD value goes down.

If this happens at the same time, then EURUSD goes up much stronger.

The below chart includes almost all of these unusual movements and their impact on the third currency pair.

if EUR/USD and USD/JPY then EUR/JPY means if EUR/USD and USD/JPY go up at the same time, then EUR/JPY goes up much stronger.

2 Likes

I’m using this method to determine the market price. For example, i’m watching USD Index, GBP/USD chart, USD/JPY Chart and others USD chart to ensure USD trend.

This is what I have created to watch Cross currencies on the baasis of above information:

1 Like

This is a great topic.

You can also use the correlation heat map in Oanda:

https://web-services.oanda.com/forex-trading/analysis/currency-correlation

Many thanks to SufShiken for putting together these materials…

Some currency crosses shift their allegiances but the more I trade with them (only three years now) the

more I can say that they can sustain correlations to one originating pair for quite some time and simply

ignore the other originating pair.

As well as technical correlation on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis, it matters to identify why a cross

pair identifies more with one originating pair at some point: usually this is because that pair has a stronger

driving ‘theme’ than the other. For example, during the immediate weeks following the Brexit referendum result

it was the GBPUSD driving most GBP cross pairs, including EURGBP, regardless of what their other originating

pairs were doing, because this theme was of overwhelming strength compared to others.

These are difficult but necessary variables to track when trading a cross currency pair…

Happy Trading

Thanks PipMeHappy to like my post and putting your valuable thoughts on it.

Your appreciating remarks has given much weightage to the post.

I also posted a screenshot of my another Excel sheet showing different ratios of correlated pair on different time frames.

You may check it here

1 Like

Addition - You may also check following links too:

@robert.miner

1 Like