How to calculate leverage loss%?

Hypothetical:

I have a $100k account.

I risk $1000 on a long trade using 33x leverage.
My target is +3% from my entry. My stop loss is set to 1.5%.

If I get stopped out, would my total loss be 49.5% (1.5% * 33) of $1000? Which would be $495?

Or…what is the formula to calculate the loss for this example?

Thanks a lot!

I think the risk hasn’t got anything to do with leverage and everything to do with your stop loss.

If your stop loss is set to risk 1.5% of your account, you’re risking 1.5%. The leverage isn’t a factor as the software will work on 1.5% regardless.

2 Likes

keep in mind that the leverage is a two edge sword it an brings yo both loss and profit. mostly I don’t set high leverage on my acc.

hi Daniel

welcome to the forum!

there is no such thing as “leverage loss %” - if you make up your own terminology, you’ll get more and more confused, and it will be harder and harder for people to help you, because they won’t understand your questions :slight_smile:

no

it has nothing to do with your leverage

if you risk $1,000 on a trade and get stopped out, then your loss is clearly $1,000 (plus commission)

1.5% of what???

if you mean 1.5% of the funds in your account, then you’re not risking $1,000 from a $100,000 account, are you? you’re clearly risking $1,500, and in that case if you get stopped out, your loss is $1,500 (plus commission)

if you’re risking $1000 on the trade, from a $100,000 account, as you specified, then your risk is clearly 1%, not 1.5%

if you mean 1.5% of the value of the instrument you’re trading, then in order to risk $1,000 you would need to work out your position-size so that 1.5% of the value of the instrument you’re trading comes to $1000

i’m trying to help you, but not sure whether i’ve managed to, because you’re giving contradictory information in your question, and in any case what you’re asking about has nothing to do with the leverage you’re using

Daniel - just an addendum to my post above, in case it helps: I think it’s possible that the very short, recent thread linked to below may help you (click on the green link), because the member asking the question there maybe had exactly the same misunderstanding about leverage as you (not certain, but possible! hope it helps, anyway) :slight_smile:

I was under the impression that if I set my stop loss to 1.5% in the example I stated above, that I would lose 1.5% of the $1000 that I risked. Seems that I was wrong…I would lose the entire $1000 that I risked. Do I have that right?

Glad I’m clearing all this out now, before I start trading a live account.

absolutely! this is what demo accounts are for (and what beginners’ forums are for, too!)

hope i didn’t come across as “critical,” in my replies above :slight_smile:

yes - what you risk is what you’ll lose if your stop-loss gets hit

(the money temporarily removed from your account by the broker while the trade is in play will be more than that, too, because of their “margin rules”, but you’ll get the “margin” bit back in your account when the trade closes either because you close it yourself or if it hits the stop-loss and closes on its own - that part is explained in the little thread i linked to just above)

if you want to risk 1% of your account each time you do a trade (which many people do, and it isn’t a bad way to start, at all), you need to look at the chart and see what size stop-loss you want to enter with the trade, and then from that you need to work out your position-size so that if the stop-loss gets hit, the amount you’ll lose will be 1% of the funds in your account - it isn’t easy, but it gets easier the more you get used to it, like most things

leverage isn’t relevant at all to that calculation

a question for you, Daniel: have you read through the lesson leverage in the Babypips free course?

1 Like

You’re response was fine, I always welcome constructive criticism.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 9.06.17 AM

Here’s an example of an entry in my backtesting on the daily chart. Let’s say I risked $1000 on this trade, using 2x leverage. My gain in this example would be 2 * 33.58%, so a gain of +$671.6, right?

Let’s say it was a losing trade, and it hit my stop loss instead. Since my risk/reward ratio is 2:1, how much would I have lost?

If you set your stop loss at 1.5% and your account is $100k you’ll lose 1.5% of your account, which will be $1500. I’m not sure where you’re getting the $1000 figure from.

1 Like

again, the amount of leverage you use isn’t relevant to how much you win/lose from the trade

no

your gain in that example would be $1,501.65 if the trade wins and your loss would be $750.75 if it loses

these figures are actually displayed in the picture you posted :slight_smile:

i think you’re confusing leverage with risk-to-reward ratios, aren’t you?

leverage is simply not relevant to what you’re asking about

it will honestly help you start here :slight_smile:

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my newbie questions. This has been very illuminating. :+1:

1 Like

i’ll be honest: i was concerned that maybe it hadn’t been illuminating at all

sometimes you know someone has misunderstood something but can’t quite tell what, and you’re aware that some essential piece of information is missing, somewhere, without quite knowing what it is!

i hope it gradually makes more sense to you, and/or that someone else can explain it more clearly than i’ve clumsily managed

this is not easy stuff to learn, and none of us was born understanding it!! :slight_smile:

$1000 was my hypothetical position size in this example.

No worries.

I think the best way forward is just to forget about what the leverage.

When you’re going to enter a trade using your strategy. First work out where your stop loss is, and use the position size calculator to work out the size your position needs to be in regards to the risk percentage.

1 Like

now you’re talking

extra anchovies, by all means - but not pineapple, please: that’s just “wrong” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like