How to calculate Pips

I’m having a real problem calculating pips. Can some one dumb it down for me even more then it already is? I mean like baby step by step calculation please?

Hi :slight_smile: BP have tools to do this, check this link Regards Greg

A pip in Forex is the smallest increment by which the value of a currency pair can change. For most major currency pairs, except those involving the Japanese yen, a pip is usually the fourth decimal place of an exchange rate. For example, if the exchange rate of the EURUSD pair rises from 1.1135 to 1.1141, this move would represent a change of 6 pips.

Hi, check this out. scroll down and theres a post with a few links from previous threads. I’m sure you’ll get the answer to any question from one of them.

So Your taking 1 pip and dividing into the worth (1.0200 CAD) to get the worth of the USD against CAD? Then multiply?

Thank you everyone. I got it

To calculate the value of a pip in a currency pair, you have to multiply the amount of your operation in batches by a pip in decimal form and then divide it by the current exchange rate of the currency quoted with the US dollar.

Movement in the exchange rate is measured by pips. Since most currency pairs are quoted to a maximum of four decimal places, the smallest change for these pairs is 1 pip. The value of a pip can be calculated by dividing 1/10,000 or 0.0001 by the exchange rate.
Lets take an example of GBPNZD
GBPNZD —> buy 0.10(lot size) —> open price- 1.90647 —> close price - 1.90883
1.90883-1.90647 = 0.00236
23.6 pips
pip value of gbpnzd is
0.0001 0.1*100000 conversion price of quote currency(nzd) to USD(account base currency) = 0.6832
hence profit = 23.6

A pip is the smallest price change that can take place in an exchange rate based on forex market convention. Most currency pairs are priced out to four decimal places and the pip change is the last (fourth) decimal point, except those involving the Japanese yen. For yen, it is till two decimal places. A pip is equal to 1/100 of 1%. For example, if the exchange rate of the EURUSD pair rises from 1.1245 to 1.1251, this move would represent a change of 6 pips.
How to calculate value of a pip- difference in pips* no. Of lots* lot size* rate of conversion into account currency.

Hi JennLaf. Please go through this wonderful explanation by Clint.

Well, most brokers have their own pip calculators. Whichever broker you are using, you can check if they have their pip calculators or not.

When there is a movement in the exchange rate, it is usually measured by pips. The smallest change for most currency pairs is 1 pip. You can calculate its value by dividing 1/10,000 by the exchange rate.

To calculate the value of a pip, you need to divide 1/10,000 or 0.0001 by the exchange rate.

A pip usually measures the change in the exchange rate of a currency pair. It is calculated using the last decimal point. The smallest change of some currencies is about 1 pip. Just divide 1/10,000 by what the exchange rate is and you will get its value.