How to confirm trend direction on higher time frame?

What do you do to check to confirm your long entry at 15 min is in confluence with bullish trend on 1 hr time frame? On 1 hr time frame, do you see that specific hour candle or 14 ema or 14 sma or something else? I am confused with this

Yes, you can use varioustrendline to get additional confirmation. For example, you can try 30 EMA on 15 min chart to be able to detect changes of trend direction.
At the same time, you can pay attention to the main elements of the trend according to the general trend theory (also known as Dow Theory), prescribing that each trend has several highs and lows, and in case of bullish trend or uptrend, each next high should be higher than the previous one, and each previous low should be also higher than the previous. When this order is broken, the trend is more likely to cease to exist. As usual, new trend starts when the price fails to make new lower low. In this case, downtrend is no longer valid, and the price starts consolidation before the upcoming reversal.
So, if you want to confirm the general uptrend on 1H, you should look for at least two lows, one higher than another, to draw an asending trendline.

2 Likes

if 14 EMA is upward, can I say it’s uptrend or it may not be uptrend according to dow theory?

I use slope of EMA’s - e.g. if slope of say the 13 period EMA on M15 chart is upwards and so is the slope of the 13 period EMA on the H1, then there’s confirmation of an uptrend

1 Like

I like this method. this is so simple!

is slope 13 EMA for last 10 hours on h1 is enough to confirm uptrend or downtrend or it has to be more or less?

If by more or less you mean slope angle, ignore slope angle, its a function of your chart dimensions and scaling and your screen parameters. Upwards is up, downwards is down.

my more or less I meant how much length of 13 EMA should I look? It may be downwards now for last 5 hours but before that it might be upwards

Yes, that’s not a bad rule in addition. All sort of things are available like this, it depends which set of rules best suits your strategy and your risk tolerance and your personal preferences.

1 Like

I usually keep my timeframes stable in order not to get confused with the trends.

You can use any moving average, just use the same one for the longer tf and shorter tf. You can look at slope, check the price any 2 points or that price is above/ below.

1 Like

If your charting platform renders range bar charts then I suggest using those to better determine the trend visually. Range bars eliminate the long wicks making it easier to determine trend as well as support and resistance areas.

1 Like

This is very helpful.

I use HL bars for some perspectives on trend. I have Sharescope which gives EOD D1 charts: when High/Low bars are displayed you can set the chart design so that the bars are coloured according to their change form the preceding bar - blue for a bar with HH and HL, red for a bar with LH and LL, orange for an inside bar, black for an outside bar.

It is worth playing around with chart settings - it is surprising what a difference to your perceptions of the same chart it can make.

1 Like