I always exit my winning trades too early

I’d suggest you use trailing stop-loss. It will drag the profits until the trend reverses.

2 Likes

I tried that too its a good idea in principle but you need to do tonnes of backtesting to get that trail right. Definitely not a bad idea though

We will have to use a trading based system that can give us more profits from the markets.

You’re on the right track, in my opinion. Stop-loss protects you from further losses, and it is better to exit winning than losing. What you can do is closely monitor your strategy as the market moves and then re-define your stop loss.

Try and practice set and forget trading. So no moving to BE or cutting short. Trades either hit SL or TP. See how that impacts your win rate and overall profitability.

1 Like

It’s one of the most common issues faced by the traders and I think fear is the main reason for that. Every trader who trades with real money always has the fear of losing and in anxiety they close the trade early to prevent losses. It is, however, a wise decision when you have a good winning rate and you’re capable of making profits on each trade.

Everytime when you feel exit too early ,that’s not true,that’s only your greed.nothing’s wrong to protect your hard-earned profit,but to make more profit than loses,you need to figure out somewhere else…

1 Like

I think you are too afraid to lose, which is good to secure your profit in case the situation takes a 360 degree turn. But sometimes it makes us regret why we exited too early when we could have made more profits by holding the trade for some more time. Your fear is trying to keep you safe and avoid losing money. Being risk averse can limit your profits so learning to cope up with your fear is what you need here.

1 Like

Just fundamentally down to a trading plan and sticking to it. Its when we dont have one that we are unsure what to do and what consequences it has on our trading. I think it takes a lot of the guess work out of what we need to do

2 Likes

I try to use resistance lines / moving average to guage when to exit. I agree it’s v tempting to move your stops in too close when in profit. These days I just moove them in so far that I won’t make a loss if the trade goes against me.

It will help you to keep track of how much money or pips have you lost and saved thanks to your stops… this will show you the actual reality.

Once you have this, you will make an informed decision.

Anyway, I think it’s best to have 2 or 3 targets, and close partials.

Also maybe don’t move to BE at least until hitting target 2, as most trades will just tap your entry point (usually a technical level) before continuation. Be happy being “risk free”.

Another option is to close full at target 1, and trade when price pullback near your entry with a smaller position (if it does)

You need to try trade management strategies, and keep track of whick one works better for you

1 Like

The only way I avoid this is simply "set and forget "
Let your SL take care of losing traded
Your TP close out the winners , move your SL to BE helped me loads

2 Likes

nothing surprising. this is the fate of all newcomers actually… so, i would say that it’s the fate of all traders not even rookies, but also professional ones also face such difficulties.
for this traders use their strategy, where such details are implemented. i mean, you should exit according to your strategy and never try to violate this rule! When you will comply with such a system, you will gradually start forgetting about such details as “exiting too early”. All the time you exit the deal and close position is an appropriate. Remember this and never concern that you have exited early.

@this_is_ando

You seem to have received some good answers - not wishing to over load you I’ll throw 2cents in.
I only trend trade low timeframes (5mins mainly) but I guess it’s all relative.

When you talk of letting trades run I take it that you are trend trading - so in terms of indicators to determine possible end of run - how about MACD?
I know it may seem boring but it’s a good trend indicator. Or something along the lines of the Alligator with multiple MAs
Personally I use Keltner Channel with 8EMA.
These indicators all display convergence and divergence to illustrate trend strength. It’s really down to you - no magic.
As said - 66% ain’t too bad. :+1:
Good luck

1 Like

If you’re continually exiting winning trades too early, perhaps that’s because you are entering the wrong sorts of trade, i.e. one-off trades, trades which give you one unique optimum price for entry and one unique optimum price for exit. Or perhaps that’s what you believe about your trades.

My close friend once told me that he often denies the using of the successful strategies, because he thinks that they run over. Well… guess that bunch of traders face the same situation and the only way out is to test your strategy. Don’t be scare to devote some time to demo trading. If ya feel that your strategy does work no more, then you can go to demo account and test it several days there.
Besides, you can search for similar strategies in the internet or change your existing one a bit in order to look for the changes. Analyse, practice, try and implement. Don’t be afraid of doing it.