I keep sabotaging myself

If you want to try something new, do it in a sandbox

2 Likes

I don’t think making a plane will help in this endeavour, but thanks @midwest for your contribution

2 Likes

I went through this experience. I did not fix it. Anyone can make a mistake and unreasonably open an order with a very large lot. Is that what I now bring to the trading account less money. This is enough for one or two orders. Therefore, I will not be able to risk too much money, even if I want. Stop out my risk manager.

1 Like

Hast makes waste and I do not check the spell checker,

Thx for pointing my the error of my ways.

Thx for pointing out the error of my ways :wink:

Have a lovely weekend

Look at “no nonsense forex”. I am taking a break from forex for a similar reason and following that person so I can have a complete winning strategy.

4 Likes

i dont have specific meditation related to traders, i just concentrate on breathing learnt from yoga, you should try it

2 Likes

reduce your account so you can only trade 3 positions at minimum size. Only go up 1 x size each time you double your account. Spread entry your three positions, locking them in as they go, either negative or positive lock in. Until you see the game, you will not be able to maintain discipline.

2 Likes

GREAT!:joy:

I think thats a general problem with discretionary trading-i experienced that as well: you are doing fine, enter one profitable trade after the other during the day, you think you are unvulnerable and suddenly enter a trade which you would not enter at the beginning of the day and you loose all the profit.
My solution was, that when i came in this kind of “trading mood”-i said to me “STOP” and did nothing. And it was allways a great relief to see how the price mooved in the wrong direction without having opened a position…:smile:

1 Like

A warning concerning “sticking to the plan”- it makes no sens to stick to a plan, which is not a good plan:wink:

It makes also no sens to cut number of trades, minimize positions, closer or wider TP and SL and all that stuff if it seems that your plan generally does not work properly

Hi I am also brand new on Forex trading. I would like to encourage you to never give up but please please do learn from your mistakes. Once bitten twice shy. Pray for God to help with spirit of greediness. It helps me a lot.

Not saying that you are wrong, because I understand the point that you are making, but I will say that a losing strategy can become a winning strategy, simply by adjusting the stop-loss. This is why it is important to back-test, fine-tune and improve your strategy as you are developing it.

No doubt, you are also right that these activities (adjusting everything or new parameters with the samre strategy) can improve your overall results, but I think if this doesnt make it better, there will come a point at which someone has to ask himself if theres something wrong with the strategy

Learn, learn, and learn. Find someone, whose experience you can follow and learn from. Also build a plan and work out on your strategy. It should be carefully thought through. Make daily and weekly reports to understand your gaps and areas for improvements.

I have only one pattern that I look for… keeping it simple seems to work better for me

Link please?

Hello JoaoAndre001, just trying to share my experience so far, which is not a lot, but it is a bit similar to your issue. I have started trading live since June of last year, so not a big sample set yet.

I have 2 strategies I use (strictly technical, one of which I backtested with a good sample set, the other one a little bit discretionary and not fully tested) and had 4 winning months straight since I started trading live. By the end of the 4th month, I was up 20% on my account and was more confident than ever, and told my self that I should increase my position size from 2% to 3-5% next month, so I can grow faster (which was not part of my plan). I then had 2 straight losing months after that and gave back everything I have made and some.

Looking at my journal (which I should have caught earlier), I was trying to chase trades, making an excuse that I was following my other more discretionary strategy, although the setups were not really optimal. And the biggest factor was I increased my trade size. I then slowed down on trading and returned my position size to 1-2% in December and came out break even last year.

Summary of my story was when I broke away from my trading plan, and followed a not so clearly defined trading strategy got me in trouble. It seems that you are doing okay until you get into a trade that is not part of your plan. I am going through this myself and have stopped trading the other method since the beginning of the year (back to backtesting mode on that stategy, then demo account). I now believe that the hardest part of trading is the psychology aspect of it. Greed will always creep in when we are riding high on winners. I will keep working on it until my trading becomes almost robotic (no emotions and sticking to the rules within the trading plan, on EVERY trade).

I am not sure if you have read Trading in the zone by Mark Douglas, that book has helped me a lot on this aspect.

Wish you well on your trading journey. Don’t quit! It’s just a swing low on your trading :slight_smile: We’ll get through this!

4 Likes

People will encourage you to keep trying over and over and learn from your mistakes. The fact is that maybe you are just not cut out for this. Its ok to say “This is not for me” and move on to other types of investing strategies. A lot of people are just not cut out for this and should realize that fact and move on. Just don’t want you to keep loosing money like so many traders do thinking that it will be better next time.

Hi Kevefx, I had the same experience last year, patiently building it up, then gaining confidence in the edge, rising position size and losing all the profits and some. I guess it is part of the game of growing, not a linear path :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing your experience.

1 Like