ICT Teaching & Material, Worth going over?

Hey guys,

I came across ICT’s material two years ago on BP and was really enlightened by his work. However, at that time I was rather an inexperienced trader so I could not put his concepts together to work and felt his methodology is a little too complicated.

Later on I got distracted by other things in life and stopped trading for two years. Now I want to pick up where I left but I noticed that ICT had left BP a long time ago. Took me two days to finish reading the 5k to 1m challenge thread, and I gotta say the drama in it was really entertaining.

I understand his challenge did not end up well and his reputation was severely damaged. However, it seems like a lot of people still believe in his methodology and find his material helpful.

My big question is: Is it worth going over ICT’s teaching material?

Many thanks

Yes and No.

I was in on the beginning , so the long threads and tons of info -I luckily got to absorb as it was happening.
I actually won a free 1 hr session with the guy on a Halloween challenge. (That never came to fruition).

Here is the whole forex in a nutshell - according to me - - which - maybe isn’t saying much.

You have to find your way - -no one else will be able to - as it is such a fickle place that even if someone gives you the key (their key) their understanding of the market is way different than yours - so even if it works (Which I do not believe for one moment that ICT stuff does work as he explains it)(HINT)
But - you have to discover it for yourself-
For example - I can explain the techniques of a perfect golf swing - maybe tiger woods? - -and I can show you and teach you how he does it ----- will it work for you- --Most likely no. you have to find your own perfect swing.
forex is no different - in my humble opinion.

edited - the yes part is a growing and learning opportunity - it is a starting point- and you have to learn all the wrong things as well as the right things-- - I perceive myself as the great Edison - figured 999 ways not to make a light bulb. but it only takes that 1 way – and walla - dreams come true.

my “fantasy or reality maybe”

The challenge account was @ $275,000 as of Apr.23 2014
He hasn’t talked about it since then.
Most ICT discussion occurring at fxgears.com however, not so much interest @ BP anymore.

1 Like

hey!

can i get link to the 5k to 1m challenge thread? thankss!

cheers
pipboyy

Have you actually tried typing the title of the thread or topic you’re seeking into the search bar at the top of each page on this forum?

Try it, you’ll be amazed what will turn up.

1 Like

For a newbie, maybe its good to read one of those materials because this is the time where you will spend an incredible amount of time where you are still trying to “figure things out” and a lot of it is a waste of time. Then when you find what strategy works for you, you will ending up disregarding everything and learn something else and along the way, it turns out you can find most of it in other websites. There is nothing unique of materials that is worth keeping…

worth it? no… has value? no…

I disagree with some of what has been said, so far, in this thread about the ICT methodology. And I disagree with most of what has been said about the man and his teaching in other threads on this forum over the past 1½ years, since his departure from the forum in February 2013.

I think that rational discussion of ICT (Michael Huddleston) is severely impeded by two factors.

• First, Michael is a very strong personality, who tends to rub some people the wrong way.

He is a devout Christian who wears his Christianity on his sleeve. And this makes some people uncomfortable. He is an avid gun-enthusiast and gun collector, who has turned some people off with his apparent militarism, and his frequent references to one-shot-one-kill as a forex trading concept. And Michael does not lack confidence in his own ability to trade successfully, to make tons of money, and to teach serious students how to do likewise. This confidence comes across to some as outrageous ego.

For these reasons, and probably many more that I haven’t mentioned, Michael Huddleston tends to be a divisive figure: people either love him, or hate him. As you have probably noticed on this forum, just mentioning his name brings out both camps. The people who love him refer to the other bunch as “haters”. And the people who hate him refer to the others as “fanboys”. And shortly thereafter, the whole conversation degenerates into name-calling and verbal bomb-throwing. That sh!t is a large part of the reason that Michael left this forum, and set himself up in a venue where he can teach those who are serious about learning his techniques, and banish those who just want to cause trouble.

Michael ran afoul of the moderators and administrators on this forum for having more than one Babypips username. Babypips accused him of “sock-puppeting” — which technically means having two or more “identities” who post in each other’s threads, who have fake “conversations” with each other, and who generally agree with and support one another. Michael denies doing any of that, or of intentionally deceiving anyone. Nevertheless, the well was poisoned by the accusations, and that figured prominently in Michael’s decision to move on to a friendlier venue.

Every conversation about Michael Huddleston tends to center on the time period just after he decided to leave this forum, and on the way that he shut down his threads, disabled all of his teaching videos, and made it abundantly clear what he thought of this forum and the small-minded people who hang out here. As I said, Michael is a very strong personality. And when you poke your thumb in his eye, you can expect to have your head handed to you.

• The second factor has nothing to do with personality conflicts, and everything to do with forex. This second factor actually matters (whereas the haters-versus-fanboys controversy is nothing but a distraction and a total waste of time). And to my amazement, and maybe yours as well, this second factor never seems to be recognized in the squabbling about Michael’s personality.

Specifically, there are two major philosophical approaches to forex trading.

• In one approach, the forex market is viewed as amorphous; it is seen as being way too large for any person or institution to control or manipulate; and its price moves are believed to be impossible to predict or anticipate. Therefore, in this view, a sensible trader should concentrate on trying to catch the “price waves” which already have formed (in the same way that a surfer tries to catch ocean waves), rather than attempting to anticipate, detect and track the actions of some mysterious “market-makers” who are controlling short-term price action.

• In the second approach to the forex market, which Michael practices and teaches, the forex market absolutely is manipulated — by the world’s biggest banks. In fact, the forex market may be the most manipulated market on the planet (not counting illegal markets).

The world’s major investment banks are “market-makers” in both senses of that word: That is, they make a market of bid-and-ask prices on which the world transacts all of its currency trading, and they make the forex market move in order to benefit their own trading.

In this second approach to the market — Michael’s approach — patterns of manipulation can be discerned and anticipated, and the “footprints” of the manipulators can be detected and followed. Detecting the manipulations of the big banks, getting in step with them, and profiting from their actions is exceedingly complex. The tools used to track the banks, and profit from their moves, constitute the subject matter that Michael teaches — in all its complexity.

This subject-matter is way too difficult for many traders, both novices and veterans — and those are the people you will hear saying that “ICT has too many tools, and they don’t work”. It’s certainly the case that Michael’s tools and methodology require study, hard work, practice and time; and many people simply are unwilling to commit to all of that. But, those people are the least qualified to judge whether Michael’s tools work.

When you understand Michael’s overall approach to the market, the specifics of his teaching will make sense to you. Even so, you may decide that his approach doesn’t suit you. Or you may conclude that you just don’t have the patience or the time to master Michael’s very rigorous and disciplined way of analyzing and trading the forex market. If that’s the case — no harm, no foul, as they say. One thing is for sure: Michael’s methods aren’t for everyone.

But, instead of listening to either the haters or the fanboys, why don’t you check out his work for yourself? Only a portion of his original work on the Babypips forum still survives; and you will find it nearly impossible to use what’s here in a self-study program. But, it has all been recreated, in a more user-friendly format, elsewhere. And, as always, everything that Michael produces is free. So, take a look.

Here are some resources for finding and connecting with Michael Huddleston:

Michael’s youtube video library — The Inner Circle Trader - YouTube

Michael’s twitter account — https://twitter.com/ICT_MHuddleston

The forum where Michael posts and his methodolgy is discussed — FXGears - Trading Community

Ananais’ interview with Michael here on Babypips — http://forums.babypips.com/q-corner/41742-inner-musings-innercircletrader.html#post295596

4 Likes

Thank you Clint, for such a detailed advice!

This actually confirmed what I thought about Michael. Although I do not quite understand the way he applies the concepts, I do very much admire his methodology and I believe anticipation in stead of chasing price is the right way to trade in any market.

From my understanding, many people on the forum mixed Michael’s personality/ego/motivation with the value of his teaching. To be honest, I personally do not like Michael’s way of doing things. (ex. intentionally traded like a slobby trader in the 5kto1mil challenge, causing followers who’s copying the trades to lose substantial amount of capital), and I feel like his ego is growing enormously as more and more people start following him. However, those do not contradict with the value of his material. And I will go over all of his videos several time and try to get a grasp of his methodology. Luckily, I downloaded all his videos from youtube 2 years ago including all the market reviews so it won’t be a problem for me to do some self-study.

Thank you so much for the help again.

It’s my opinion and experiences that I put it out there… and to me it’s not worth it and there is no value…

I do not use any of his teaching. I tried to use it when starting out but the more " stuff" he put in there, the more I got confused. There is a better way and easier way to trade than that…this I have found on my own without anything " ICT" name for every slide shows/videos attached to it…

The benefit of it is…it’s free and the only thing will cost you is your time to figure it out how to put everything together…maybe some will make money using it. Who knows…

Goodluck!

Thank you PipNRoll for your advice. I agree with you that ICT’s material is a little overwhelming, and to be honest I can’t and won’t pick up every concept he threw out there. I would pick and choose to see what fits my style, but I agree with his perspective on the forex market (anticipating moves by analyzing price actions of the smart money). I am also complimenting ICT’s material with Chris Lori’s educational packages. IMO Chris Lori’s teaching is very down to earth and easy to understand. Do you have any other mentor(s) you can recommend to me?

You’re Welcome…

The best thing you can do is to not stick into one method. Try everything and anything you can find until you take something out that doesn’t suit you. It looks like you are focusing more into the technical side. Have you consider adding fundamental? If so, I followed Kathy Lien and I signed up for their newsletters. They keep you update everyday Before and after market. Here is the link if you want to signed up BK Asset Management | Kathy Lien, Boris Schlossberg, Managed Forex, Forex News. I do use technical but mainly chart pattern, support and resistance and stoch for indicator. I trade mostly via phone so this is the best I can do while working full time. It’s been great so far…:wink:

I do not have any mentor. I am currently " mentoring" myself lol.

PS though, there was a great thread about fundamental that I originally followed but unfortunately that one is gone too…

I don’t think that there is any evidence that he made it up to $275 000 as far as I know, certainly not a verified myfxbook.

It’s just what he claimed in a webinar chat. Do you have a link to a verified myfxbook of anyone else that teaches FX trading? just curious.

As a newbie I have to agree with you. I read a lot of how-to’s and such and I see that right now I am a shark - I see what I think is food and bite it! If it tastes bad I spit it out. sooner or later I will find that piece of information that will make it all fall together. In the meantime I am picking up some good nuggets but at the same time I am more able to quickly recognize BS when I hear it or see it on youtube.

"
• In the second approach to the forex market, which Michael practices and teaches, the forex market absolutely is manipulated — by the world’s biggest banks. In fact, the forex market may be the most manipulated market on the planet (not counting illegal markets). The world’s major commercial banks are “market-makers” in both senses of the word: That is, they make a market of bid-and-ask prices on which the world transacts all of its currency trading, and they make the forex market move in order to benefit their own trading.

In this approach to the market, patterns of manipulation can be discerned and anticipated, and the “footprints” of the manipulators can be detected and followed. Detecting the manipulations of the big banks, getting in step with them, and profiting from their actions is exceedingly complex. The tools used to track the banks, and profit from their moves, is what Michael teaches — in all its complexity. "

As a newbie I can tell you that EACH AND EVERY place I have evaluated for training has PROMISED to teach me how to see the major player’s actions and follow them.

If there is a process out there that will deliver I will someday find it. Right now…Im trying to find the gas and the brake pedals without looking down! LOL

Well, his methodology is quite simple … time plays an important role as well as price levels … so at significant price levels, he searches for some factors to happen to trigger his trade