Improve your routine

Today I didn’t have much time for any trading.

I had time to follow up on my open positions.

I was tempted to trade, but there was no time to do it properly. So, I didn’t do it. This took some will power from me.

This is the end of this thread. Giving attention to my routine made me realize how much discipline and structure I’m lacking in my routine. I need improvement in time management.

But my time management problem is linked to my impulse control problem.

Instead of leaving the house on time, I’ll keep watching my movie or whatever I’m doing. I’ll do whatever I want instead of doing what I should. And I’ll do that until I’m FORCED to do the less pleasant task. By that time, I’m either late, rushing, or the problem has grown.

I’ll start journaling, then after 5 minutes, I start checking my phone. Instead of placing a wide SL, I’ll lie to myself about where a safe place is, and set a narrow SL instead, so that way I’m still risking 1% but the pip value is higher. You can call it FOMO, fear, or greed. To me, it’s all just impulses. It’s my emotions at the moment, and instead of using logic to control them, I just lie to myself and do what I want.

I’m sure you can guess how those kinds of trades end up.

I suppose this is the meaning of “the market reflects who you are”. Creating new habits is difficult. But first I guess we have to admit to the truth of we are at the moment. From there we can build up. But if we can’t admit the truth of who we are, we won’t have our true starting point.

I’ve learned I need time management and impulse control.

Thanks for reading!

End of thread.

3 Likes

Many traders need to learn this. It even took me a lot of time to grasp it. You have to be patient and disciplined when you trade to be successful, and you can be one. Period!

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, keeping of trading record is very important for traders that intends to reach the topnotch of their trading career. Without discipline, such step is very difficult to achieve and that is why a trader must always endeavor to strictly adhere to his trading rules while also keeping his discipline habit to check.

I agree with your assumption that keeping of records doesn’t justify your level of profit or loss but lack of journal keeping may mar your competence and professionalism because NO trader can become successful without adhering to the discipline aspect of trade. In other words, just as important as discipline is for successful traders, so also is trade journal going to become relevant for the diligent ones.

1 Like

Absolutely! Making sure I never run out of butter is paramount! :laughing:

1 Like

A trader who is patient and determined can achieve a lot in the forex market. Your focus determines how far you can go and what opportunities you can take advantage of. When you already know what you can achieve, the journey becomes easier.

1 Like