IQ Option platform vs Metatrader newbie question

Hello traders!

I’ve recently started learning Forex trading. I have a newbie question regarding two different trading platforms. It’s related to the margin/free margin/equity/balance thing.

On the IQ Option trading platform, when I trade Forex, I can see my balance. Before I enter a trade, I can choose my investment, how much I basically want to risk. Let’s say my balance is $100 and my investment is $50. If the chart goes against me, I’d only lose $50, not the whole balance. Then the trade closes, I still have $50 as my balance.

So my newbie question is… On the Metatrader platform can I set an investment amount (like $50 out of my $100 balance) like on the IQ Option platform? I can only set the lot size so if the market goes against me, I can get margin called and lose all my balance, no choice. Of course I could set a stop loss or close my position earlier, but I want to know if there’s a way not to risk all my balance on the Metatrader platform.

I know this question is really noobish but I’m still getting familiarized with the different platforms and want to improve myself. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for reading my first post and I’m looking forward to your kind replies, explanations.

Have a lovely weekend.

Mordengaard

EDIT: if you want me to upload an example picture of the IQ Option platform, please tell me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok - the Iqoption site shows 50 as “risk” - but it isn’t ! Your “risk” depends on the % you set in as your “loss” in the dropdown to adjust positions, so you can easily choose to only risk say 5$ by just setting your “stop” at 10% for example.

It’s an interesting platform and IMHO useful as a “demo” account. Whether they have a record which makes them inspire confidence as a “real money account” is another matter.

2 Likes

This is what I’m talking about. You have a balance up there and you can set the amount you want to trade with. Multiplier is the leverage on this platform. You can set the stop loss and other things as well just like on the Metatrader platform.

I understand that I can set the % to limit my losses but with each trade, I don’t have to risk all my balance because I can set how much I want to trade with. On the Metatrader platform I can’t do this… I think… right?

I already traded Forex with real money on the IQ Option platform and I was more confident investing smaller portion of my balance, so I knew that if the market went against me, I didn’t have to lose all my balance, just the invested amount.

1 Like