Is 25% a month possible?

Hey everyone

Simple straightforward question.
Is making 25% a month possible?

1 Like

Yes.

I’ve done it.

Once.

On a very small account, with ultra-high-risk money management, combined with very long hours, very hard work, and an astonishingly good run of luck.

I don’t think it’s realistic any other way, really.

And if you’re asking whether it’s possible to do it reliably and steadily, or to do it with anything approaching reasonable money management and position-sizing, the answer’s a loud and clear no.

If that were possible, at 25% per month, even if you compounded only once a month, $1,000 after one year would turn into nearly $15,000. That kind of illustrates why it isn’t really possible, in any meaningful sense of the word “possible”, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Rubbish… Can it be executed by a newbie… probably not, but the OP’s question was is it possible??

@Novaturient See below: You have to ensure you don’t over trade… once target is hit walk away… I’ve done this numerous times…This is the way I opened all my new accounts…no large risky outlay of capital and after week 2 your trading with other people’s money…

Based on EUR and $500 account… using 400:1 leverage and no more than ~$40 margin…

11 pips per day 0.05 size lots, 5.5 pips a day… 0.1 size lots (1 Position open at a time)

Using a 1:1 RR your risk is never more than 1.2% of your account…

4 Likes

I was thinking about that as you posted - and I reckonned perhaps $16,000, but ok it was only in my head and very rough.

Many years ago I found a set of circumstances which doubled my account on every bet, but I had to bet 25% to do so and those circumstances only happened 1-3 times a year. I did it 3 times only and it was betting the DOW, not Forex. I never had a loser, but it would certainly have had to happen sooner or later.

Trouble is with that infrequency, you get bored looking at the charts and wander off to do “Other things” - and my "double was nowhere near 25% / month on average.

I believe there may be certain paople who could do it - but they would be “Autistics” - with that genius an occsional one of them has in certain subjects. Privided they were just OCD to the extent of only being interested in this subject.

For normal mortals, I agree with you entirely - NO it isn’t - especially not for someone who is a newbie to the extent that they do not even realise just how difficult that would be.

Tbh, just surviving for 6 months is sufficient challenge for a newbie. Not surviving with a profit, just surviving with any money left in your a ccount at all !

TBH at those aspirations and given a PhD level of maths - you have a far better chance of those sort of returns, playing online poker or Backgammon :relaxed:

[Edit - like this Guy - who is a pro at both of those games and also a maths genius ! ]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Hand-Revealed-Gus-Hansen/dp/0818407271/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0818407271&pd_rd_r=3e1800a9-4cd7-11e8-ae5e-1b913b215a47&pd_rd_w=VVRzO&pd_rd_wg=lHt3b&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=5179604776422437276&pf_rd_r=SBDJMCVBS83N6YHGTHWD&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=0W1CW349WZRFQG0XMZW0

2 Likes

I opened a demo account last week and I am currently up 60% in 6.5 business days

1 Like

Hey @endgameinfinity… Even if you could replicate a quarter of that result on a Live account… it’s a great start.

Unfortunately it’s different when trading Live…fear and uncertainty will creep into the decision making, the main reason the money/risk profile above is successful is the power of compounding and the use of micro lot sizes… your SL is hit you lose $6.00 (it’s a cup of coffee). Even leverage is irrelevant because you open 1 (maybe with experience 2) positions at the one time which leaves plenty in reserve…

If you could remain disciplined for even longer periods, the same profile will yield ~$1,100 after 90 days and ~$11,100 after 12 months…exposing you to only 1.2% risk on every position you open…

You’ve only got to look over and follow Dennis’s SW thread, a perfectly documented, proven strategy which will help in you in choosing a pairs direction with enhanced success…

1 Like

Yes it is possible but not likely and certainly not likely long term

2 Likes

That’s probably why Charlie started his answer with the the word “Yes”.

You’re calling his post “rubbish” but you’re actually agreeing with him.

Thanks for your contribution. :grimacing:

1 Like

The Yes I take for granted… it’s the sermon that followed is wrong and misleading…

Results from today just “mucking around” with the same formula on $1000 account…feel free to verify with charts…

A pleasure as always…:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Straightforward answer , if you know how to manage risk and money when trading even when market moves at random then there is a chance to ensure 25-35% return according to your trading balance.

besides money management you also have to make sure most powerful analyzing trading strategies , otherwise good result will not come out at all.

I appreciate the response. I agree with you that real money is different but for me it’s not as different as it is for others because as losery as this sounds, I am used to losing money as I’ve been a business owner in the past on several occasions. In any case with the demo account I am using about 85% of my account towards margin so yes it is risky but I feel at least at the moment the benefits outweigh the risks, but I suppose I’ve always been a risk on type personality. I will read Dennis’s though. BTW you must live in NY, SF, or LA because I have never paid $6 for a cup of coffee :smiley:

1 Like

61.5%

Demo account, but still

If you’re trading a demo account or a small account that means little to you, then yes, 25%, 100% or even more is possible, it’s certainly not maintainable though. Don’t under estimate the discipline of physiology, with a bigger account even the ‘norm’ becomes magnified on an emotional level.

25% a month is a wonderful thought and nice to ponder upon whilst travelling to your usual day job each morning, but it’s not reality :wink:

Personally, I usually risk 3% of my account balance on a single trade and struggle to maintain an average of over 8% per month. But, i’m a wired gambler and always have been.

I had one experience last week where I went to a Roulette table. Starting with $200 i was betting $50 on a spin with no care in world. When I grew this to $15k in the same session I was unable to put down $3.75k [the same 25% risk as when I had $200] on a single spin; not because I wasn’t allowed,but because emotionally I couldn’t handle it.

Sure Roulette is not the same as trading, but my god, when the money gets big the emotions will kick in.

Edit: FYI: The end story was that I walked away with $0 after the end of the night… $15k to $0 - the next morning I was furious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That may well be, but i didn’t make that in a month it only took 7 days. I expect to make at least 150% in 21 business days. Also if I were to assess my risk appetite using a bell curve, I would be an extreme outlier on the “on” side.

Hey @endgameinfinity Australia makes the best Coffee in the world… not the instant stuff found in the UK and the States.

Look up Flat White Cafe in Soho London…Berwick Street? I think ones recently opened in Manhattan as well…Quality Coffee isn’t cheap…

That’s why that rule is first on the checklist…to ensure that the Gambler’s Ruin paradigm does not apply…

1 Like

Oh I never said I’ve been ‘ruined’, you can still be smart with speculating, one reason why I do exactly that all the time :wink:

Admittedly alcohol diminishes ones ability though

1 Like

@endgameinfinity… Jesus, don’t follow the strategy above… whatever you’re doing smokes it…

If you decide to go Live… just develop a way to lower the risk profile… ie: Maybe 0.2…0.3 lots per position to curb drawdown and use of margin… Maybe have less open positions at one time (still $1000+ pcm), a huge result…

Keep it up for a couple of months and then you’re no longer risking your money…

Yeah Im pretty excited I should be up and running with at least a grand by two weeks from now. Also I will look into that quality coffee you speak of sounds interesting. :smiley:

Yes its possible, as long as we can making good trading result, very possible making these profit based on monthly, but maybe not easy to making this consistent, on trading might not always will get profit, sometime also loss occured, as long as you already having good profitable system and strategy, still very possible making 25% monthly

1 Like