Is forex like gambling?

Hi Dale,

That is really fascinating. I am glad that the interesting line the discussion took gave you a lightbulb moment with an idea for your strategy, that is the joy of this forum. To be honest I have not decided where I stand on Fib, ie. is it mystic forces at work or are there just so many people using it that it works, but I am completely persuaded that it does work. To be honest, when it comes to my trading, if there is an opportunity to use a Fib number I will take it, as long as it fits with the strat. I have just heard (and experienced) too many stories such as yours, where the use of a Fib number has tightened things up. Interesting stuff and thank you for sharing.

And thank you for the interesting tip about Trader Planet, I will have a look.

ST

1 Like

Sure, not every time, otherwise I wouldn’t have to work )

Of course, there are exceptions but most retail traders trade from Monday to Friday. I do know that there is trading at weekends also.

Master Tang, you are 100% right - we should trade only with a reputable broker otherwise we will bear not only trading risks but also non-trading risks.

I believe all trading (stocks forex futures etc…) is gambling. I have been a fairly successful poker and blackjack player before coming here to babypips. I would say there are huge similarities. But the biggest is nothing is a guarantee. You are looking to swing the odds in your favor and gain an ‘edge’. same for any gambling be it horse racing, poker, blackjack, etc… There are also a lot of similar traits a that are needed to be successful at gambling or forex. Risk/reward, money management, psychology, discipline to stay with your system. Most people who play blackjack or poker are losers. I would venture to say around 90-95% lose playing those games. What percentage of people who trade forex are losers. Around 95%. So In my book trading is gambling. Just society has given it a higher status and it is more willing to accept you as a trader than as a pro gambler.

It depends on the trader. We need to move carefully and not emotionally. We need to see that we don’t become addicted to it. We should build a few lines around us and restrict ourselves.

Anyone who sees trading as a form of gambling does not understand trading and they certainly don’t understand gambling.

No, Forex is not at all. Forex requires knowledge and experience, and only this will affect the result. Otherwise, the results will not be very pleasant.

I think it completely depends on how you deal with the market along with your mindset

1 Like

Totally wrong.

1 Like

No! Traders have to see the past information as well as available facts for trading and in gambling you just have to play with available odds.

No! Traders have to see the past data as nicely as available validities for trading and in betting, you just have to play with available odds.

Forex is not at all a gambling. In forex the person who wants to be successful need to study market, create the strategies. There is a lot to do however in case of gambling it is just the luck.

1 Like

Indeed. Its much much more than luck. Its all about how much hard work and practice you do. We shouldn’t compare it to gambling.

1 Like

If anyone thinks gambling is like trading and trading is like gambling, then please, do not do either. You will lose money until you can think more clearly.

1 Like

Calling trading as gambling would imply that you’re entirely dependent on lady luck. If that was the case you wouldn’t need to to work so hard to understand the market and form a strategy.

1 Like

These are two different types of dependency and earnings. In this case, we also characterize people into two types: winners and losers. To become a winner, you need to delve into the study of your topic and develop daily, in the worst case, you’ll always be in the losers. I started playing online poker in 2007 [Removed for Forums policy violation] and over the entire period, I’ve learned to earn not bad money on poker, which is enough for me to live a good life. I tried trading and it didn’t work out, so I think it’s a different hobby.

It’s NOT!

Forex is a world’s largest financial market with nearly $5 trillion a day trading volume and runs for 24*5 days a week.

It includes trading of currency pairs and EURUSD, USDJPY, GBPUSD, AUDUSD, NZDUSD, USDCHF and USDCAD are termed as MAJOR pairs which constitute nearly 70–80% of the transaction volume.

If you term trading as a gambling than you might term Equity market and Bonds as gambling as well.

Moreover, gambling is just trying your luck while trading is backed by analysis.

Hope it helped.