Is it a right decision to be a full time trader?

Is it a right decision to be a trader?

Hard to say but I was asked this a while back and this was my answer

1 Like

Congrats on the baby! :baby:

I’m personally very iffy about trading full time especially for newbies. I think it is doable, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that in theory it sounds good but with my personal experience, it’s too difficult to consistently make money off trading alone. Unless you have hoards of cash lying around, if you’re gonna be relying on your profits for your bills and food… that just sounds like a stressful life to me.

If you’re not relying on it financially though and just want to try it out, I say why not. My two pips!

2 Likes

Here’s a thread I posted recently that you may find relevant:

2 Likes

Quitting job for trading is not a good idea for you. Try to trade at least one year. After that think about quitting job.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice! Very well explained! :+1:

Good luck and whichever route you choose, hope to see you around here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Figure out what percentage you can make consistently while you’re on maternity leave. Then take a look at how much money it would require (funding your account) to live off of. If you have the required funds go back to work for another six months while you continue to trade and prove that you can indeed continue to make the computed average percentage gain.

Thereafter, fund your account with the necessary amount slowly over a few months and trade it for another 6-8 months before quitting your job.

If you have a spouse who’s income you can rely on in case it is required then that is the ideal situation. Make sure to have a minimum of 1 year’s worth of living expenses as backup.

That’s my 2 cents. Probably not what you were hoping to hear.

1 Like

@NedaHe

As a financial advisor would you advise one of your clients to quit a job to day trade?

No I thought not

So why would you do it yourself?

Now if you have recently had a baby, maybe there are some reasons why quitting your job right seems a good idea.

However the last thing you want at the minute is the stress of day trading, and supplementing your income.

And I do know what I’m talking about.

Not only did I quit my day job, I sold my house, and moved half way around the world to ‘trade’ full time.

Start bringing in some regular money trading before you even consider quitting your day job.

Great answer! Tnx.

Well ive just packed in my job to do the FTMO challenge so will see how it plays out . Just gotta suck it and see :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Louis can you help me with my homework

The question is very vague as you have not mentioned your experience or performance as a trader. But in case, you are thinking of quitting your current job to learn trading without having tried it ever before, then I would strongly suggest you otherwise.

1 Like

99.99% of wannabe traders lose money, so better to lose money for one hour per day than for 8 hours… :thinking:

2 Likes

stats point to 4-5 years before traders stop losing money. Trading for a living especially when you start out is a VERY VERY hard thing to do but not impossible. I know because that’s what i did. I quit my job, took out a loan and traded that for a living. I was able to maintain my bills and reasonable lifestyle. I can tell you first hand it was very very stressful, you dream of charts… i spent 15hours a day trading and studying. My health and relationships took a toll, i became a slave to the market.

Fortunately i was born with an unusual level of discipline so my ability to stick to good risk management and follow my trade plans allowed me to survive and be okay. Long story short, never ever quit your job to trade unless you have well proven to yourself you can make money at least part-time trading for over 1 year minimum.

3 Likes

If you like trading and wants to learn new things then it is a right decision.

its not an easy question to answer correctly, because it completely depends on your trading conditions and trading target. generally very rarer i have seen a part timer as successful trader.