Is it ok to run computer 24-hours-a-day?

This is what I do. It costs about $30 per month for my VPS which IMHO is well worth it.

The pain in the ass of running a computer 24/5 thats devoted to trading via expert advisor just isn’t worth it. You need to factor in power usage, dust removal maintenance, the initial cost of the computer plus any UPS hardware. Then theres the cost involved if a power spike kills the computer or a component in it. Or if a component such as power supply or hard drive dies just through excessive run time. Combine all that with the problems that can be caused with your expert advisor if the power or internet goes out.

A decent VPS will have a lot of redundancy built in that practically eliminates all these issues.

1. Anyone that knows anything about electronics will tell you that turning your computer on and off is harsher on the componentry than leaving it running for large amounts of time…fact.

2. Set Win 7,8,10 to not update automatically and do all updates outside market open ie: weekends…easy.

3. Yes… installing a VPS and having a Laptop with 4G WiFi (with mirrored settings) close by is an insurance policy against failure…easy

4. Invest in SSD’s for all your data storage with auto backup setup. Less moving parts to fail…easy.

5. Set your monitor to power save when your away from the screen… by far the biggest power user on your desk and your chipset and graphics cards will run way cooler when the screen is asleep…easy

6. Most IT companies will leave systems (Mac and PC) running for 24/5 for reasons above…check.

Only selected time trading can give us the benefit and we should not stick with computer 24 hour are day, we should make the planning and should trade according to the planning, trading all the time can be dangerous, so be careful.

you can use a vps server and place an EA in there.

Yes, Forex market is open for twenty-four hours, but that doesn’t mean, you may run your PC for twenty-four hours! Take a break and use pending order trading tool! It’s a mental game, so don’t make complicated environment here! If you don’t get any logical point according to your trading system, then go for Forex education, don’t use risky entry points!

At first of course you’ve got to spend a lot of time at the computer, in order to figure everything out, learn a lot, read, develop your own strategy. But when you’ve already acquired skill and experience, you won’t have to spend 24 hours at the computer, just set your stops, that’s all.

It is not positive approach that we should keep open our desktop 24 hours a day continuously for a week, dear no doubt forex market opens 24 hours in the whole week but we should work in selected time in order to avoid the risk, never stick with computer all the time.

It depends also in which country your staying. Like in India we cannot keep a computer running 24/7 due to many reason including electricity, fluctuations in electricity, and so n so.
But keeping it off the minimum is so far seen the best way to keep it healthy.

This is certainly what I’ve always been told and always read in computer magazines.

I leave mine on almost all the time, apart from occasional mandatory re-starts to activate downloaded updates.

I do turn it off if I’m away for a weekend or on vacation.

It’s 2017 - a far cry from the mid 1850’s when Charles Babbage made the first computer.

If turning on and off a PC at the start and end of a day causes problems then we have some real issues! The world will not end, you can turn them off :laughing:

@RISKonFX

It might…:wink:

1 Like

Sounds like hee had two issues.

Forex market runs 24/5 in week you can run computer all the time but you cannot do trading all the time when market is going on. Human body needs rest . I think 6 to 8 hours are much for trading . We feel bore after some time so you should make a plan how much time you can spend easily for trading.

It is okay to let your desktop computer run 24-hours a day. But, It’s depend on your trading styles that you should let run or not for whole day and night. Also do not work whole day, it is not good for your mental and physical health. But for whole week no, you should give it rest and turned it off at least for an hour or two.

Sitting in front of computer 24 hours a day will cause the reason of serious injury, you should avoid to work all the time of whole day, you should work in selected time in order to avoid the loss and physical injury, so be careful.

depends on what you consider an average computer

hi mate,
i’m an I.T. engineer
yes it’s fine to do that.

it really is a question of whether you are running Linux or Windows or Mac,
but let’s assume Windows because most people do run Windows

can you run windows indefinitely … No, you can’t,
the way windows works is that you MUST from time to time shut it down and restart it.
Linux however doesn’t have this issue

in saying that, if you want to leave your Windows system open for a month, THAT’S TOTALLY FINE.

100% OK TO DO THAT
obviously take precautions like Anti virus and so on
but from an Electronics point of view and a system Registry point of view… NO PROBLEM AT ALL.

Mine is on 24/7 Monday to Friday. The weekends I usually don’t work so I don’t use it at all. As much as I know, it depends on the computer but mine is not so sophisticated and it’s still working pretty well.

It all depends on what kind of computer you have. I would not advise you to leave your PC on all the time, at least because of the hard drive load. Just as much depends on your cooler, if you have a weak cooler, I would not recommend leaving your PC running for a long time. Also, I advise you not to overdo trading, and sometimes you need to pause because otherwise, your efficiency as a trader will fall rapidly.

Absolutely! That’s technology!