Is it still worth trading if you'll only ever have $200 to trade with?

Right but my question is what if that is ALL you’ll ever have. $200 is all you have to put into a trading account.

This could be different for everyone but as long as I build it to 2,500… I’ll take out any profit over that.

As I said before, I’d like to pull in 200-300 a month. That could obviously vary. It could be 0, 50, 150, or (whatever large/small number) a month depending on how well I can move with the market over time.

I have a brokerage account for my stocks as well as a few retirement accounts. Any extra profit made from Forex(if I meet my goals) will go straight to those accounts. I’m 35. I’ll work for another 30 years until retirement if I have to but with my brokerage/retirement accounts, I’m trying to decrease my working years to age 55 or 50. If Forex can help me get there faster, great!

8 Likes

IMO you definitely want to learn on demo first, but if you’re willing to be patient and allow time to learn and grow your account, you can do something with $200. But you have to be able to work with ridiculously small position sizes. My broker offers custom lot sizes, so you can literally open a position with one unit of currency. With that kind of flexibility, I can trade the same way whether I have $100 or $100K

1 Like

$200? IMHO, it is not worth the time. Unless, you are less than 25 years old, and have many years ahead. The ultimate aim of trading is to generate HANDY income. Turning $200 into an amount of significant value takes TIME !? Without high leverage, it is awfully pathetic.

Paradoxically and ironically, High Leverage coupled with minuscule capital is a surefire recipe for disaster. High leverage, more often than not, has the tendencies to amplify Greed. With Small a capital balance, the trader will invariably be a desperado with disregard for bankroll management. Money management is the essence of success in trading!

3 Likes

If you trade profitably, that amount will grow with time. If you trade and make $10 everyday, the least you’ll have in your account in six months is $1400. If you work harder, you could have 2grand. With that, you could consider little withdrawal and grow the rest for another months by which time you’re conveniently sitting amidst 5-figure earners.

2 Likes

If my life depended on it - I think I could make $200 into a living wage - assuming I could live for the first year without taking any out !

However there are a couple of BIG Caveats. !

• a) - I already know a LOT about trading
  • b) - I don’t think it could be done any other way than betting the 5 minute (or tick) charts. (Which I don’t actually Like doing)
  • c) - I would have to work pretty much every day - full time to do it.
  • d) - I am better at most things I set my mind to than most people
  • e) - I have a LONG attention span and could sit for 12 hours daily in front of a screen concentrating -

Now look at that list and decide for yourself whether you can answer “yes” to those questions ?

I don’t know whether you are asking this in seriousness - or whether it is hypothetical - but if it is serious, you should also bear in mind that I already lost something over £30,000 learning to trade and took a year off work to trade full time whilst doing it - so that’s another £50,000 I could have earned instead :rofl:

Fortunately I had a couple of other investments which paid off rather well at the same time !

And - If I’d been able to read this book -

My life may have had a different path :slightly_smiling_face:

Easy enough to read - Boring as hell - HARD to understand - and apply - waste of your time unless you understand the basics and some of the more advanced aspects of trading very well.

I do sometimes wonder though whether the skills learned by the lads sitting in front of tehir screens “GAMING” - may be very well suited to trading ? That I don’t know - but I wouldn’t be too surprised if they can do it easily :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you are just starting, learning with a very limited margin is a good training. But also try to learn with the huge capital on demo account using small lotsizes to feel the difference. But if you are planning to do it as regular source of income with a small capital, it’s not it. Possible but very difficult to achieve even by experienced traders. Read this post about forex myths and facts. It may help you. Forex Myths & Facts That You Should Know Before You Start Trading

$10 on $200 is 5% so after 2 weeks your account would be up 50% and you should now be targetting $15 a day - then $22.50 then $35 after 8 weeks - your account should be at $700 - ie nearly 2 doubles ! - lets say 2 doubles after 9 weeks - (2 months) it sits at $800 - so after the first year 10 more doubles ;
800 month 2
3200 month 4

12,800 month 6

50k month 8
200k month 8

Better than $10 a day - No ? :wink:

THats way more than I was using for my basis and I reckonned on about $12500 after the first year - so Either look again at your $10 per day - or Get started Now ! :rofl:

There is 3 problem

1. 5% per day after 2 weeks 50% , is assuming a winrate of 100% . Trading at the acme of perfection.
  2. Trading with $200, i’m assuming you have a day job and need to work for a living, so you probably don’t have extra hours to trade FULLTIME.
  3. You can trade like a robot without any emotions, assuming you already obtained a genuinely profitable strategy.

Not my figures - but I did try trading “Volman” on demo for a few days - Win rate gets pretty good 80-90% at RR 2 -1

168 hours in a week - a determined student can use 120 of them.

Much discretion in Volman’s system and I for one have never been able to do “emotionless” - just set your targets, pull the trigger and let nature take it’s course. :wink:

[Note - closing bets is recommended if you don’t get the action you envisage]

I disagree with that - I think you should keep Demo as realistic as possible so use teh same account size you are expecting to be able to trade in real life.

3 Likes

I’m just sharing what I know :slight_smile: I have no problem if you believe otherwise. Each trader has his own opinion about trading. Cheers.

as your skills and confident built up,you will pump in money eventually ,i guaranty it

Yes its possible I tested my skills and put £50 and within a week I manged to push it to £300. Its all about patience and proper risk management, also using the correct lot size and not overdoing it. Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it, those that say no are just negative and don’t have the skills to do so. You can flip any account with the correct skills

4 Likes

This is live? Also what has happened to that account now? :open_mouth:

LOL. This could be a new thread. “Can I turn $200 to $12,500?”

$200 is perfect to start trading, if you do not want to use high leverage then you can start trading by placing micro lot sizes and if you have a perfect trading plan you can double the amount soon.

1 Like

yes it was my live account, i pushed it up to £500 then greed got in the way and i blew my account. i had no hard feelings as i only invested £50 but it was a lesson for me

Oh man. You were already there! What was the event that blew your account? Do you still remember?

After few years of trading experience, I think even 100 bucks would have worked for me. One should just start it with all his dedication even if he has 100 bucks in hand. I have seen people growing their accounts. Yes, I know it takes time to build it but it is worth trying.

2 Likes