Is Trading Psychology a cop out for not having an edge?

Hi, and welcome. First I have to say that @johnscott31 response is perfectly aligned with my own “technique” if you can call it that. About five years ago, I stopped thinking about the actual money I trade, and started to think about placing a trade as one action of a sequence of thousands that, if applied with the same method again and again, would soon tell me whether I had an edge or not. So that was about 370 trades ago. Without even trying to deviate from a set pattern, I found that timeframes did not always agree with my free time (meetings, outings, family life), but I also found that the market did not always “allow me” to be consistent in my application of trades. But I have maintained a log of how many times these “unintended events” affected me, both in a positive sense in that if I did not place a trade that lost, and in a negative sense in that if I did place a trade but the entry was not, with hindsight matching my exact criteria for entry. At times I almost feel stupid trying to unswervingly stick to the same process, and I have a long way to go to prove a point because this one “trial” needs to run for around 800 trades to demonstrate an edge and so far it has not. I am convinced that the worst thing a trader can do is to spend a huge amount of time defining a strategy followed by a plan, backtest that plan to convince oneself that it has an edge, then proceed to deviate from that plan. I am so convinced of this that I am prepared to spend around one year to see out the entire duration of the plan before changing that strategy and plan. For some this may seem like a year of your life wasted. For me, it is the only way to go.

3 Likes

Try not to take so much risk at once. Focus on your risk management techniques and work on your strategy. Good luck.

If you are an emotional person in general it will effect your trading. In saying that if you are aware of this then you can take steps to overcome it. One thing that could help is extensive backtesting of your strategy… Eventually the moves in the market will not trigger an emotional reaction as you have seen it 1000 times.

4 Likes

@TraderEvolved
100% agree with your first post.
99.9% of mentors aren’t able to extract profit from the market.
They are able to teach you the basics.
When you use their methods and you don’t make pips they blame you.
Psychology comes into play once you have a profitable strategy, 99% of wannabe traders never reach that point, including mentors.

Each trader has a different bent of mind and so we need to remember this fact and also learn our trading skills in the Forex.

Every trader is different and so are his trading requirements. Instead of caring about what others are doing, focus on improving.

If it was just a marketing ploy by trading teachers then we wouldn’t converse in forums like these .
Even with an Edge losses still affect ones mindset

Psychology matters a lot. People are usually emotional but anything can be done for those who can control these emotions. The more emotionally strong you are in trading, the more profitable the ratio can be.

lots of people pass their driving tests first time and still drive like maniacs

We have to learn trading and also remember that Trading needs to be controlled for Better Results :slight_smile:

I agree with you, an emotional balance is highly important for everyone to get better results in trading.

Grapes are sour isn’t it? It’s an easy escape and I won’t deny being a culprit myself. But yeah deep down you know the reality and if you’re serious about trading, you’d end up working up on your past mistakes.

No. The psychology is the most important part.

1 Like

So even if you don’t have an edge in the market, as long as you have your psychology in check then you will be fine?

What type of edge do you have? Trading is pretty simple from a mechanics standpoint.

You need to have a net positive edge in order to make money in the long run, regardless of your psychology. If your strategy has a low strike rate then you would need a higher average R:R, or if you have a high strike rate you can get away with a lower R:R.
My original post was not saying Psychology is not important. I have just seen Psychology pushed as the most important thing when really psychology doesn’t mean s**t if the strategy you are trading is net negative over a period of time.

We have to learn how to control our emotions while doing our trades so that we are able to become successful traders.

So what do your trades look like? How much do you use/ Trade amount, account balance etc?

as much as trading pschology is important, having an effective trading plan is key

It’s really important to make up your mind for losses. It’s not just profits that you will be making. A right trading psychology will surely come handy for making better trades in the future.