Is volume really useless in Forex?

Hello all,

I have couple questions please about the volume indicator and Forex.

I have found out that volume has less use in forex because forex is a decentralized market and I can only see the volume created by the users of my broker. That makes sense. So far no issues.

How come VWAP is heavily used in forex then? Especially with gold and oil CFDs. Because VWAP uses volume data right?

Can anyone please clarify?

Thank you.

Hi, maybe you can introduce yourself? :slightly_smiling_face:

It isn’t.

You’re right that VWAP uses volume data. That’s why people using VWAP are either trading futures, for which volume data is available, or are at the very least using futures data (available so cheaply that you could call it “almost free”) to trade CFD’s - though why anyone would want to do that is beyond me, I admit.

I don’t know whether they can.

I know for sure that a CFD/spot trading forum for beginners (where the majority of the members, bless them, appear not quite to appreciate that the “volume data” supplied by their “broker” represents only the transactions of their “broker’s” other retail clients) may not be the ideal place to ask.

You’re right, volume in Forex only shows what’s happening through your broker since it’s a decentralized market. Yet, VWAP is popular even in Forex for gold and oil CFDs because it still offers useful insights with the volume data it uses. It helps spot trends and liquidity levels, which can be super helpful, even with limited data.

Hellooo! :blush: I feel like Jane and Thomas have already addressed your question, but maybe checking this out might also help. :slight_smile: It’s not really just a definition but also talks about how volume is used in technical analysis so it might not be completely useless.

Volume Definition | Forexpedia™ by BabyPips.com.