Las Vegas Shooting

The rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper in this case

As I expected, the government not being open in their investigation has now opened the door to all the crazies

Going on 4 months since the worst mass shooting in US history and we still are in the dark as to what happened. No news updates form the Vegas sheriff office in over 3 months, no hotel video, no police body cams, no nothing. How does this happen in a “Free and open” society

News updates?

Wasn’t this all a deranged lone shooter, who subsequently shot himself?

That is the big question mark, Police have release no information supporting derangement, acting alone, or even shooting himself. Complete media blackout, only media still asking question in FOX news. CNN and MSNBC act like it never happen. If these fake news outlets spent 1/10th of the time on this real story as they have spent on the fake Russian story we might get some answers

Well, the alleged shooter was found in a locked room with no other exit, and the door was barricaded. It seems unlikely anyone else shot him. In addition, he had picked a location to shoot out from from which authorities had easy access and from which he had no escape route, and continued shooting from a static location for a long time. He had also taken so many weapons (at least 10 long arms) to the room that it can be supposed he meant to withstand a siege but certainly did not intend to escape quickly or to retreat to a strongpoint. All suggests he planned to die there one way or another.

He had been losing money heavily at gambling, he was drinking heavily and his girlfriend had left the country.

These things support a conclusion that he was at least temporarily deranged, in the absence of a clinical diagnosis.

I got all this in 5 minutes from Wikipedia.

Doesn’t seem like a live news story.

Wikipedia, really? that is hardly the end-all for information in an ongoing investigation, there is zero official information from any law enforcement agency contained on that page.

Let’s hope the families of the 58 victims are not so quick to move on

So you say.

Anyway, what have you got?

Hi Dennis… I imagine you are in the US… these shootings are becoming so common place in the States of late.

We cannot understand the Gun Laws (such as open carry) that you have in the States, I have friends in Texas who can buy weapons at Walmat…Assault Rifles, Hand Guns etc… It’s unfathomable to Australians (and English)… the most dangerous weapon I can buy OTC is a Hockey Stick at Kmart…

I live on acreage, so even in country areas, the amount of paperwork, wait periods and hoops to jump through to get a Gun License is astronomical. That’s just for Shotguns and Rifles… A Handgun would require handing over of your first born…Australians just don’t see Handguns in public at all.

And the US problem now is exponential because Joe Public is buying even more guns to protect themselves from the reckless bozo’s with guns…a deadly circle that appears can never be stopped…

Yes, the fake news media would have you believe that every American is walking around with a handgun holstered on his hip and a long rife strapped across his shoulder. Nothing could be further from the truth. In nearly every one of these mass shootings, the victims are all unarmed.

Would banning guns really change anything, or would the crazy person just rent a large truck and drive into a crowd of people as we have seen happening a lot in Europe,

A gun is just a tool, banning the tool does not change the evil in a man’s heart, only surrendering to the one true God can do that

1 Like

Speaking of the devil, The Sherrif of our non-news story held a news conference on Friday to update the public, Not much new was learned except there is a second person that being looked at by means of a federal grand jury, I don’t know what to think of that, Still no video evidence released.

"Automatic weapons were banned in America more than three decades ago, but bump stocks get around this. Two officials told AP that authorities found two bump stocks in Paddock’s hotel room and were investigating whether they were used to modify weapons used in the massacre.

Originally created with the aim of making it easier for people with disabilities to shoot a gun, bump stocks allow semi-automatic rifles to mimic fully automatic weapons by unleashing an entire large magazine in seconds."

It’s the semi automatic weapons available in the States that are leading to the high body count…

I think only the Army here in Australia would have access to this type of fire power.

US has the biggest average size cars (trucks) in the world, they’re not needed when you can get access to 100 clip AR-15’s…most other western countries don’t understand the mindset and ease of availability of guns in the US.

The problem here in the states is there is no middle ground, you have one group that wants to change the constitution and ban all guns Vs. the other group that wants to keep things as they are. Cities and States with the nations most strict gun laws also have the highest rate of gun violence. So no evidence a middle ground approach will work either

Another issue is the news media glorifying the shooters, if someone wants instant fame in the US just go out and kill a bunch of people and your name and face will be all over the news for weeks. Then the next killer sees all the attention this guy got and starts planning an even bigger mass shooting, and the news media keeps score like it is some kind of sporting event.

anyway it is a complicated problem

1 Like

Let’s also not forget Hollywoods role in all this as they put out dozens of movies every year that are nothing more than 2 hour infomercials for gun violence, Today if an actor takes one puff of a cigaret it is an automatic R rating, but firing a gun or killing someone as long as there is no blood can still get a PG rating. You think things are not a little twisted here

1 Like

.[quote=“Dennis3450, post:40, topic:115847”]
You think things are not a little twisted here…
[/quote]

NCIS here, NCIS there, Murder Mystery this… Murder Mystery that…

One Smoke and shazam an R Rating… Absolutely…Totally Agree…

1 Like

All sensible stuff.

Restriction of fire-arm capabilities to manual (single shot) would leave gun-owners at a tactical disadvantage to police forces but would allow them to defend themselves against aggressors and continue recreational gun use such as target shooting and hunting. This would not fall foul of the constitutional right to bear arms.

1 Like

Again the problem is the anti-gun crowd wants a repeal of Second Amendment and total ban on all firearms. They would only take your “sensible stuff” as a stepping stone toward a total ban.

Note: Our right to bear arms was not added to the US Constitution to protect “recreational gun use” but for the people to take down our government should it no longer serve the interest of the people, and we are getting very close to that point

Good conversation all

Yes, I understand the purpose of bearing arms in the US. And I have no problems with that - self-defence, recreational shooting and the constitutional right to bear arms are viable reasons to own a gun and are each separate issues.

But the opposition to tightening controls on automatic and semi-automatic weapons does not make the pro-gun lobby position appear proportionate and responsible, and actually aligns them with these despicable criminal shooters.

It is nearly impossible to legally purchase an automatic weapon in the US, and of the very few permits that are granted to collectors, I have never heard of any of ty
I personly would have no issues with banning bump stocks but with 3D printer, someone could just print one

How about putting people with mental illness on a no gun list, and anyone taking meds for depression or any med known for suicide thoughts as a side effect. Yes try this and it will not be the NRA you have to fight

as I said, it is hard to find the middle ground

1 Like

This is applied in Australia already… You need to complete a firearms safety course, a “28 day cooling off period”, Proof of membership of a Gun club and 100 points of ID (Driving Licence, 2 Credit cards, land rates docs etc. etc.) They know who you are better than you do… and so they should.

The return of the Gun License can take 6 to 8 weeks! That’s why the copycats are resorting to vehicles… Very few “heat of the moment” gun events in Oz… professional criminals is a whole different matter…