Learning how to trade with a full time job

I currently have a full time job with 50+ hours a week. Any tips on how to juggle learning and improving with my current job?

If you want to be a professional trader, you’ll need to operate under the mindset that you now have TWO full-time jobs. One working 50+ hours a week, and another working > 50 hours a week.

PRETTY SIMPLE:
Whatever you put into it, you’ll get out of it.

2 Likes

Don’t even attempt day-trading. Go for the daily charts and adopt a style which allows you to take trend-follower or swing trades. Don’t look to enter positions live, set your entry orders after the NY close. You might find the 4-hourly charts useful to give a bit more insight into price action but its perfectly possible to trade using just the daily high, low and close prices.

Always set a stop-loss. Its a vital tactic anyway but just assume it could be many hours before you get the chance to check on your open positions.

5 Likes

Leaning might take a long time due to the time you are willing to invest in it. If you are very eager to start making money from Forex, I suggest you start learning, and get a signal provider to earn some money while you try to understand everything.

Yeah, because that always works…

Was that sarcasm lol I can’t tell :joy:

1 Like

well, I have a small restaurant, working more than 50h, and I have also 2 blogs which I maintain and update regular. Well, you don’t need much time to trade. just few minutes. However, you should be trained very well in order to be able to trade well in just few minutes and be profitable. I would suggest you to learn all the instruments that you are going to trade, establish a trading system and train your self enough. then you will be able to trade spending just few minutes without to have your main business affected.

the signal provider if he will know how to trade well, he wouldn’t provide signals for pennies

Everyone has at least 1 hour a day to learn a new skill mate.

I don’t know a situation or question where ‘signals’ would ever be the answer…

I agree with tommor - Trade the Daily timeframe and above using some trend based strategy on candlestick charts.
You don’t need to be trading frequently for long hours to be consistently profitable… Many learn that the hard way.
Think of your job as an advantage… a way to fund your trading AND a way to physically limit you from over trading.

1 Like

Traffic… :laughing:

3 Likes

Touche :laughing:

I would like to suggest you to learn forex if you want to become full trader and also interested to make huge profit and you can learn forex here in babypips school and can enjoy your trade later.

If you are brand new, learn first before opening a live account. I don’t know how much you currently know, but things to consider are trading plans, demo accounts, and so on. It is very easy to blow through money if you don’t know what your doing, so do a demo account first. This site is great to learn a lot of basics, and its free. Having a solid trading plan that you are willing to stick with, rather than jumping from one plan/idea to the next, is crucial. You will have to accept loses as part of the game. Learn about price action, risk to reward, stop losses, limit orders, lot sizes, and so on. I don’t know how much you currently know, so pardon if you already know all about that sort of stuff.

Read and trade in your spare time. Almost everyone who learned did this while working.

There is nothing wrong with treating trading as a part-time occupation despite the well-meaning, but misguided words of @FOREXunlimited.

The last thing you want to do is throw yourself off the deep end when it comes to trade emersion.

You have weekends to study, and you can use the trading week for practicing on a demo on a longer time frame.

Yes, daily timeframes are great, but if you have an account that allows 8 hr charting that can be a nice timeframe too.

Don’t be like me, at work in the body, but taking a sneak peek at the charts every time the boss wasn’t around.

Keeping your poker face when in meetings, all the while knowing you need to be moving your stop loss.

Lol - oh the memories!

You won’t do yourself any favours either with your boss or your trading.

Start at it slowly, more out of curiosity than anything else.

3 Likes

Thinking back I am on record here as saying that a new trader should be able to be up and running within about 10 business days once they’ve got an account. OK, this might be just demo but more and more time on demo trading does not lead to more and more profit.

You have to be strict in your time management and realistic in your milestones - 1-2 days to find a simple objective profitable strategy, 1-2 days to understand the strategy and how it works, 1-2 days to understand the mechanics of the demo platform, 1-2 days demo trading minor adaptations of the strategy, 2-6 days demo trading.

They key is in recognising what sort of strategy would suit the trader’s temperament, emotional characteristics, time availability, time zone etc.

If you hunt about online you might find an old clip of a house being constructed in the US in 1 day as a demonstration in project management. The thing was, they took 365 days to design the construction process before the contractors got to site.

1 Like

@Johnscott31 That is another 100% valid way to tackle trading. Like anything, tactics are going to exist on a spectrum. Nothing misguided about diving in head first and having the market teach you, rather than studying on the weekends. You can be the tortoise or you can be the hare. Either way, there’s a 70-90% chance you’re going to lose in the long run - or at best, barely break even after years of cycling through various strategies.

Oh wow. :open_mouth: I think a lot of the responses here have pretty much said it, but it definitely won’t be easy managing those hours. :open_mouth: I think it would be best to start with trying to determine just how many hours you can devote to learning forex, given your 50+ hours per week. :thinking: I think an hour or 2 for each day would be enough to set you on the right track. Can you allot this much time? :open_mouth: