Leverage Capped

@bradley79

Just out of interest are you affected by this.?

I am. But crying and making a big deal about it on the forums is just a waste of time and energy.
There are ways to express your grievances to the authorities or even organize a group/community such as BP and file a complaint.
If you’re not motivated enough to get up and do something about it - you shouldn’t complain.
But hey, I get it. It’s far easier to cry about it on the forums. Man up and do something or else shut it.

No im not crying bradley just furious and i will shup up when im good and ready.
You realy think me sending a letter is going to do anything.
I expressed my feelings on a forum for traders about something thats affecting me and many other traders.

Personally @bradley79, i think you are totally wrong in this particular matter. It is a hugely major change that affects just about everyone on this site- and i suspect that many have not, even now, started to realise what the implications are for them, especially the very small accounts.

I think this thread has brought out some important issues here and it is a critical matter if it directly affects and restricts one’s ability to trade as one has been used to doing.
Even more so if it is leading many people to change brokers. Which is not something the rules were designed to promote at all…

1 Like

Whats the point in new traders learnig on this site if they cant even trade unless they have 500k worth of portfolio and have been trading for a firm.
All that training / research to trade micro lots.

@A1lenTrader The forum is for trading, not for feelings. If you have a hard time controling then - trading is not for you. Like I said - get over it. In the other thread you’ve started on the same topic others as well as myself have given you options on how to proceed.

If you’re upset - there is a thread where you can vent. Starting several threads just to whine about it all is not the way.

Yeah, I don’t like the changes either and can see clearly the effects it will have for the small traders (such as myself) but choose to be civil about it and not to bother others with my feelings.
Take some time. Relax. Think it over and come back with a fresh head.

I agree with you, Manxx. The thread does, indeed, raise valid issues and concerns however they get drowned out in the constant ranting and raving. Which is counterproductive at best.
We’ve discussed the negatives of the ESMA regulations is the thread about it.
To sum it up - the new regulation will do more damage than help. At least for the small traders.
Small guys will be forced to:

1. Add more cash to their accounts in order to keep the margin and still be able to trade with the same amounts. This will affect the ones trading with high leverages the most.
  2. Move to an unregulated broker which is not ideal, to say the least.
  3. Move to an off-shore broker which may result in a total loss due to scams and broker (MM) manipulations.
  4. Stop trading
    So, yeah. It’s not good. However, in my opinion, if you’ve traded with x50 or x100 leverage it shouldn`t be such a pain.
    Yes, you’ll have to fund your account, but other than that it shouldn’t feel much different. I hope I’m wrong.

P.S IMHO for the time being going to a broker located and regulated in Switzerland seems to be the best and least painful solution.

I understand where you are coming from with this, but…is this not, afterall, his own thread?

He set it up to raise the topic, and his posts are on topic and they generate responses from others. So, in those circumstances, I think it is maybe not our issue how he wishes to express his own thoughts about his topic on his own thread? At least, as far as they are not breaking other site rules about posting etiquette?

But enough said about that! :slight_smile: please, just ignore me, I’m just a fussy old gandalf…:smiley:

3 Likes

Simply put - No ! The facts of the introduction of “Regulations” is that they hardly ever get rescinded - even if they are later proven to be based on totally false premises ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scared-Death-Global-Warming-Costing/dp/0826486142/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531923277&sr=8-3&keywords=scared+to+death

Read the “Blurb” it is pretty much self explanatory - although it is well worth reading the whole thing. - I have to say that the only chapter I have been unable to read from a psychological perspective is the dreadful account of “Satanic child abuse” where the children were taken away from loving homes and placed for adoption whilst the court cases went on, (or didn’t) - whole families destroyed by over zealous “regulators” !

• Nobody ever “held to account” !
1 Like

I disagree - that’s like saying “if you don’t vote you cannot complain !” - rubbish.

Anyone has a right to complain about changes to the status quo which they do not condone. (At least we do at the moment ! )

It is a very relevant thread as most the people coming here to learn are not going to be putting 10k + into there accounts.

I don’t know @A1lenTrader - “micro lots” are worth around $0.10 per pip and if I’m reading this aright, require a margin of $30 each to trade. ($33.333 ? But I’m just rounding the figures for simplicity) Plus a “reserve margin” to avoid what they call a “Margin call” ( which apparently no longer means what I understood it to be - ie The phone rings and a polite voice informs you that your deposit is now in danger and would you like to add more funds or close the position ? According to babypips school that is no longer the case - they just shut you down and term it as a “Margin call” - wierd ! )

Certainly I would not feel comfortable trading more that 2 “micro lots” in a $100 account ! and most likely just 1 !

Nobody seems to have picked up that the “Badness” of this blanket regulation depends on the way you trade - a 10cent per pip trade to what we seemingly refer to as a “scalper” with a 5 pip target - ie $0.50 is completely different from a 10 cent trade on a swing basis where the target might be 100 pips - so $10 or a positional trader who may be looking to take 500 - 1000 pips !

The person I feel for in reality is @tommor, who is quietly trading something akin to a “Turtle system”, where he pyramids in and raises his stops, so that after his second “Pyramid”, he is locked into guaranteed profit and needs multiple iterations in order to have a “big hitter” which then pays for all his multiple losses and puts his account on a steady growth path.

He already has to consider his Margin and says the only time he willingly closes a bet is when he is deep in profit and needs to free up “Margin” for further pyramiding. - I think this will be entirely unfair to him, since it will mean that he is forced to lose money (against what he “could have won” ) if the regulation had been more lenient - even though he is in guaranteed profit with no conceivable chance of a loss except in the unlikely event of a “Swissy” !

There are traders here trading standard lots on shortish time frames and doing “Quite nicely” who would need to maintain a £3000 (Plus a bit) account in order to do “their thing” - but 30 pips at $10 would give a $300 return ie 10% on $3000. That seems an ok sort of level as well.

So in reality, it is the very small “scalper types” who would be most affected and we already know they are the brokers’ Least favourite punters, so perhaps the underlying reason for this Regulation is to get rid of these “annoying mosquito” type traders - from the brokers’ points of view!

(Yes I know I have not accounted for spreads and commissions ! )

I’m thinking @A1lenTrader must fall into this category and sadly I think you will need to switch to longer time frames.

{Anyone want to buy a “good used condition” copy of Bob Volmans’s “5 minute timescale” book ? }

2 Likes

I would hold my trades from start of uk open to about 7/8pm if possible but if 1st trade was way in profit move my stop up to a relevant measurement and leave it but i do look to hold onto it as long as possible.
With o lower capital you do want to get in and out quicker i agree. But i never seen a sign saying i can only trade long term.
but it reminds me of when i was a kid and used to play cards with the blokes in the pub. When me or my m8 were winning this one bloke every payday would put a stupid amount down knowing we could not cover the bet.
We only played when he wasnt there after that

1 Like

I,ll give you creditt for this but you will never silence me.

Sounds like 3 card brag to me ?

We had a rule that any time anyone felt they were being “ripped off” they could simply “Cover for half the pot” which meant the pot was split and their cards went face down on one of teh piles. The rest of the players then continued as normal.

But you’re rght - “Bragging out” was a normal tactic in most pubs.

I would really like to see some input here from the likes of @FOREX.com and @Jason_Rogers and any other FCA/EU based broker reps here?

Sounds like 3 card brag to me ? yeah it was lol
Some lucky blinds…

Im going to look on clints post but woulld you know if icmarkets is affected

Just came across this…

Spent ages looking at brokers at the start… 1 Year ago
May have to take @bradley79 's Advice and just Suck it up and look at
Micro lots for practice See what happens after BREXIT…bloody brexit…

Nope … The cards can be “set” so you know some of them without cheating ! - No need to “open them up”… :wink:

You mean Marked or like Counting cards…?