London Breakout Strategy - 1H Timeframe Modified

This is good advice Cloudninee.

Do you have any recommendations for the best indicator(s) to use.

Thanks.

1 Like

Well, I have not taken any trades this afternoon, due to the huge move in the first hour’s candle.

Will watch what happens during the evening.

Will see what we can do tomorrow.

1 Like

I don’t particularly like trading with indicators as most of them would be lagging. I usually use market structure and candlesticks patterns to trade.

If you use the H4 or D1 charts, you will be able to see pretty clearly what the overall trend is for the current period.

If you must use an indicator, then I have to say perhaps try out EMA of 20 or 50.

Smart move. When unsure, live to fight another day :wink:

Hi CloudNinee, It’s a very good advice. For example, today GBP/USD 1D chart with EMA20 clearly shows Downtrend. EMA50 is flat. I think we may use EMA20 as it is faster indicator. But sometimes the trend is not very clear. Maybe, it needs more experience.

1 Like

Don’t get too heavily relied on indicators, they are there to support only and price action should be your main friend. Like said, on the 1H or even better the 4H and 1D timeframes, if you zoom out, you can clearly see the current trend without any indicators.

Closed this morning at a small profit

Did not trade due to huge opening wick and shadow

Hit SL

Hit SL

Not a profitable day again.

1 Like

Market’s been hella unstable lately - you can tell based on the wicks and massive candles even for the major currencies.

1 Like

I agree. Yesterday as soon as London market opens it shows instability and hence I didn’t open any trades. Let us see how it works today.

Thanks Adamsc57 for presenting test results in a beautiful way. Is it Demo or Live account?

Just an FYI everyone, along this thread some people have requested for my daily chart and main trading strategy. I have today shared it. Please feel free to have a read it’s called " Price Action, Market Structure & Bollinger Band".

If you have any questions just let me know.

Once again, only here to share my own knowledge and what has worked for me.

All the best.

Thanks a lot, CloudNinee, for your generosity. I found it on Forum. I will study today. Thanks a lot once again.

1 Like

Also with GU and GJ, you can see it broke out of the range strongly but leaving long massive wicks. I personally would not have traded these as it clearly shows market indecision and crazy volatility/movement.

1 Like

Just a demo account for now. I need to know what I am doing first, as following the rules blindly does not always work.

1 Like

These are the sorts of things I need to improve upon.

I really appreciate Cloudninee’s efforts in posting this method then following up with all the help and support he has given.

Thanks mate.

1 Like

It’s all part of the learning process mate. At least you are doing it the right way, learning and demo until you are sure to risk your real money.

As the saying goes, the market is always going to be there for you to make money from. So take your time and do it right :smiley:

1 Like

Great Strategy, i cant wait to try it out. thanks Cloudninee for sharing.

1 Like

You are most certainly welcome. Feel free to backtest it first, it can very easily be done. If you use Tradingview, the “session” indicator will help as you can turn off the Asian and Sydney sessions and it will show you the London and NY sessions highlighted.

Hit SL - I went against the trend!

Hit SL

Closed this morning at a Loss

GBPJPY - did not trade as too late in day when finally closed outside range.

Another non profitable day.

Still learning though.

So I was a bit naughty yesterday.

Well I started out well then did my own thing…

I decided to follow some suggestions to use say a daily 20EMA trend, and only place a trade if the breakout was in line with that trend.

So after 6:00pm no trades. EURUSD opened but against the trend.

After 7:00pm no trades.
My MT4 chart locked up on the EURUSD chart, but not the others, so I did no trading on this pair.

Around 8:00pm I noticed that the other three pairs were having big moves, although against the trend, so I decided to hop in anyway and see what happens. The pairs were moving back to the previous day’s levels.

Eventually the three pairs were all up about 200 points. I remembered about trailing stops, so set them for each pair at 50 points.

Luckily each pair kept moving positively and I ended up with around 250 points profit on each pair after the trailing stops were hit.

So a profitable day even though I did not follow the original rules, and the three pairs were going against the daily trend.

I note that EURUSD, after originally closing against the trend, came back and closed with the trend. It later retraced and would have hit the SL again. No trade though as the chart was frozen.

Learning all the time.

1 Like