London's Small Account Challenge

5th April 2023

17:30 London

Another set-up emerged this morning and I was quickly on it.

Price initially turned against me but it didn’t mess with my zen.

I’ve been using this strategy for long enough to maintain a certain amount of confidence in it even when it looks like it’s about to go pear-shaped.

Sure enough, price soon started behaving and heading in the direction I wanted it to and, at one point, offering me an unrealised gain of over thirty percent.

Then things started getting a little bit jittery and I decided to move my stop to break even.

In my experience, when you sense the market getting a bit choppy, it’s always smart to try and take risk off the table if possible. I feel a lot easier wondering how much I’m going to win rather than questioning whether I’m going to win.

My instincts were right. Price soon started retreating.

I edged my stop loss down to protect some of the unrealised profit. That’s generally not such a smart move because sometimes a trade needs plenty of room to breathe and in trying to protect a small profit you lose a potentially big profit.

Long story short, as you can see from myfxbook I gained just over 17% on the trade when I eventually decided to close it.

That’s not bad, of course, but it probably adds to the tally of trades I’m going to have to take in order to achieve this challenge - so it’s not particularly good either.

Price is still languishing in what was my profit zone and it may still head down to my original take profit. Either way, I’m now out of the trade and resting up till tomorrow.

I have now more than doubled my small account in only three trades.

My confidence is growing!

6th April 2023

09:30 London

No clear set-ups emerging so far this morning.

Not surprising with tomorrow being Good Friday perhaps.

It’s starting to look like that’s going to be about it till Tuesday.

Still, you never know . . .

Interesting. A good start, I will follow you on myfxbook.

What strategy are you using?

Hi @chesterjohn

Thanks for following my small account challenge.

I agree, it’s a good start but there is still a long way to go of course. Remember, I’m trying to do this in a dozen trades or less.

I’m not going to reveal my exact strategy. It took me years to develop and refine and, as I say, I am in the process of writing a book about how to grow small accounts fast.

I don’t even think I’m going to reveal the exact strategy in my book either.

Besides which, the particular strategy employed to grow a small account fast is not as important as using the correct and appropriate risk management principles to give yourself the best possible chance of succeeding.

Feel free to check out London’s Ping Pong Pivot Strategy which is another profitable strategy I developed.

Let me know what you think!

1 Like

10th April 2023

22:30 London

With Easter finally out of the way, I have spent my evening reviewing the four pairs that I habitually trade.

Judging from the charts and the calendar, I’m anticipating a slow week ahead.

I am eager to get on with the challenge but there is no point trying to rush things.

It is important to remember that the objective is to grow the account in a dozen trades or less, not a dozen days or less!

That said, it would be nice to find at least one trade this week!

11th April 2023

08:30 London

I wasn’t expecting to trade this morning, or even for the next day or two perhaps, but the London open brought with it unexpected manna.

As I have explained, my objective is to complete this challenge in as few trades as possible. It’s not a competitive thing, it’s a risk management thing. The more trades I take, the more risk I absorb.

That said, this morning’s little offering was just too good to pass up.

The signal came via my Ping Pong Pivot strategy.

I didn’t stay in for the full 1:1.5 risk to reward simply because I wanted to be in and out so that I could minimise the chance of the trade turning against me. I’m still in the trade on one of my other accounts and still heading in the right direction.

It’s another hundred bucks or so towards the cause so it’s all good!

1 Like

11th April 2023

09:30 London

Nice!

Just hit take profit on my other account.

Ping Pong Pivot!!!

13th April 2023

11:30 London

I took my fifth trade this morning.

Another winner and I’ve now more than tripled the account.

I had to settle for a lower risk-to-reward ratio than I wanted but at least it’s another winning trade I suppose.

The problem is, even though the results look great this far, it’s starting to look like I’m going to need to take at least fifteen or twenty trades to 50x the account. Those extra trades I am going to need to take will exponentially increase the probability of me failing the challenge.

Check out the latest results on myfxbook.

1 Like

that would still be a brilliant result!

going great guns, here :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s fare. Can you tell us what you’re trading? Spot forex?

@samewise

I only trade Forex and I generally stick to just four pairs:

• EUR/USD
  • GBP/JPY
  • GBP/USD
  • AUD/USD

I have a number of different strategies that I use across these pairs but, for the small account challenge, I am sticking with my two highest-performing strategies.

As a general rule, I never enter more than one trade at a time, albeit sometimes across multiple accounts.

1 Like

Oh cool. Also, why just 12 trades? Any reason for that?

i don’t trade GBP/JPY and hardly ever did

i was interested to see recently that one of the leading prop-shops said that people taking their evaluations who trade this pair tend to do badly with it, when they make profits from it they’re traders who give those profits back to the market within their next 5 trades, overall, on average

do you find it significantly different from the other three you mentioned (all of which i trade regularly in their futures form)?

1 Like

As I have said above, the more trades you take, the more risk you absorb regardless of the individual results.

1 Like

Interesting to hear the prop-shops’ opinions on GJ, it’s probably the pair I do best with! Ultimately, a certain strategy either works with a given pair or it doesn’t.

The only significant difference I find between GJ and the other three pairs I trade is the range of movement perhaps.

1 Like

14th April 2023

18:30 London

So far, so good . . .

I did mess up a little bit though . . .

I closed the last two trades early at around a 1:1 RRR. I did it in order to protect the significant gains that I had made but both trades actually went on to achieve the full Take Profit.

Had I let them both run, my balance would now be almost double what it is. Such is the power of compounding returns!

In hindsight, it would have been fine to move my stop loss to breakeven on both occasions but closing the trades early ended up costing me money and, ultimately, increasing my risk of failing this challenge.

Trust me, it won’t happen again.

Lesson learned!

2 Likes

Dan, what charts times are you using in your strategy, and what % of your account and leverage are you trading on each trade?

@Pauley1

I use both 30M and 1H charts depending on the particular strategy that I am using.

For this small account challenge I am using insane amounts of leverage and risking around 30% of my account per trade.

To be clear, I do not recommend following my approach and risking such high percentages of your account per trade. Nor do I recommend using high leverage.

1 Like

That’s really interesting, and I don’t think I would ever go so risky unless it was a scientific experiment!

I think I read further up that your only running one trade at a time, so that is countering some of the risk. What kind of take profit levels are you using? Are you just jumping out as soon as the profit is palatable?

And great disclaimer at the end!

1 Like

17th April 2023

15:00 London

My first trade of the week, around a hundred bucks profit, so just over 12% up for the day.

Still early and some nice set-ups emerging so there might even be another trade today. If not, I feel confident there will be at least a couple at some point this week.

1 Like