London's Small Account Challenge

@Torchwave

Thanks for the positive vibes, I’ll do my best.

I’ve done a myfxbook for the FTMO challenge too but it’s still private at the minute, I’ll change it to public as soon as the challenge is complete - win or lose.

Once again, thank you. I really appreciate the positive feedback.

1 Like

You are most welcome. Looking forward to your achieving your goals and more.

2 Likes

25th May 2023

20:15 London

As those who follow me on Twitter will already know, I have unfortunately blown my first $100K FTMO Challenge.

No excuses, just plain old stupidity.

It was my first prop firm challenge. I went into it with no clear game plan. My usual setups were conspicuously absent and I soon started feeling the pressure of the always-looming deadline. That led to mistakes which led to more mistakes . . .

You get the idea.

However, it’s not all bad news.

Firstly, it was actually a ‘free’ challenge because, as you can see above, I used some of the profits from my small account challenge.

Secondly, it has helped me to develop two new strategies that show real promise to pass these sorts of challenges. I’m still working on them but these two simple strategies have showed sufficient promise that I’ve already incorporated one of them into my small account challenge. As you will see from myfxbook, it’s been a good week on that account.

I will definitely reattempt the $100K FTMO challenge within the next month or so, perhaps sooner. I’m also planning to enlist on the 5ers Instant Funding program, so I’ll be starting a new thread called London’s Prop Journey to document it all.

Always keeping it real!

Dan

1 Like

Great update. Also nice to hear when someone fails rather than wins. All too often you only hear of winning trades and how great someone is at trading. Total breathe of fresh air to know we’re not always winning. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Your transparency is commendable. I am certain you will do better on your next challenge. It is okay to fail but it is common knowledge that initial failure does not determine the outcome of the next attempt. Wish you all the best on your subsequent attempt.

1 Like

21st June 2023

22:15 London

Since my Q and A session has just been published, I thought it might be a good time to give you all a quick update on my small account challenge.

The first attempt is all but blown. There is less than $10 left in the account.

As some regular readers will know, I already withdrew twice what I started the account with so I’m ready to reload and go again but I’m just completing a couple of prop challenges first.

I have a new strategy that is so far working really well with the prop challenges and a slightly modified version of it to use with my next attempt at the small account challenge.

In the meantime, I’m trying to focus on my ordinary personal trading accounts and several writing projects in between hospital appointments.

Stay tuned . . .

1 Like

Dan

How are your prop challenges going?

1 Like

Hey @Pauley1

Sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve not been so well recently. My next hospital appointment is at the end of the month. Hopefully that will mark a positive turning point for me and I’ll be able to start getting back to normality.

1 Like

I hope you’re well soon. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s missing and enjoys your trading progress updates.

23rd September 2023

21:45 London

This post is perhaps long overdue . . .

I’m going to speak frankly about my health.

Late last year I started sneezing and smelling a strange ammonia-type scent. Naturally, I did what most of us do these days and Googled my symptoms.

Google returned a consensus of opinion to visit my doctor which I promptly did.

The doctor referred me for an ultrasound, then an MRI, then a CT Scan, then a few more MRIs, one more CT Scan and, finally, a liver biopsy.

Up until the time of the biopsy I was fairly sure that I was okay. Aside from the occasional whiff of ammonia when I sneezed I had no symptoms, none that I recognised as ‘symptoms’ anyway.

When the biopsy results came back earlier this year, it rocked my world.

It was just after getting the results that I stopped posting here and elsewhere. I couldn’t focus. I couldn’t believe what the doctors were telling me: I had liver cancer and suspected advanced-stage cirrhosis.

I just couldn’t get my head around it. I’m someone who keeps myself fit and healthy, I always have. I don’t drink more than occasionally and I don’t use drugs. How could I have cirrhosis of the liver, let alone liver cancer?

Another round of tests followed, more MRIs, another CT Scan and a nuclear medicine scan.

After re-analysing my previous results and including the latest round of tests the doctors concluded I didn’t have cirrhosis after all, not hepatocellular carcinoma anyway. Unfortunately, though I didn’t have the type of liver cancer they initially thought I had, I still had cancer, neuroendocrine cancer to be more precise.

It’s the same ugly type of cancer Steve Jobs and Aretha Franklin died of, though theirs started in different parts of the body to mine.

The prognosis is grim: the cancer has metastasised from an unknown primary source to my liver. I’ve seen the scans, my liver is potted with these small neuroendocrine tumours.

The doctors have started me on a treatment called Lanreotide. It basically suppresses the hormones that these horrible little tumours excrete and, hopefully, helps shrink some of them in the process.

Nevertheless, the prognosis is dire: the doctors have said the condition is terminal and that the best they can do is prolong my life for around 75-90 months using this medication. I’m only 47, I thought I’d have at least another few decades left but, as it turns out, this neuroendocrine is trying to wipe me out early.

The doctors said I’m unlucky to get this type of cancer, particularly at my age, but lucky that it is relatively slow growing. I have to say, I don’t feel very lucky. I think they quoted the median anticipated lifespan in months to try and make it sound more perhaps but, whatever way you cut it, it’s just five or six years.

When the doctors say there is nothing more they can do, it’s time to see what you can do.

I have no intention of taking this prognosis lying down. The cancer may eventually get me but I intend to give it hell.

For the last few months I have been adapting my lifestyle to make it as hostile as possible toward the cancer that is slowly growing inside me: I’ve cut all sugar out of my diet, I’m exercising regularly and I am supplementing with various micronutrients. Finally, I’m fasting for long, extended periods. I’ve long done intermittent fasting but recently I’ve started fasting for ten and twelve days at a time, hopefully trying to induce autophagy. I’m convinced fasting can help me rid myself of this horrible disease but either way, it’s the only chance I’ve got so, in poker terms, I’m all in.

I’m currently trying to get to thirty or forty days of fasting, water only. It will take me to the very edge of existence but, if it kills me, I’ll die with the satisfaction of knowing that I did everything I could and perhaps managed to kill a few of the cancer cells along the way before they finally killed me.

Anyways, enough of the doom and gloom. Let’s talk a bit about my trading.

I’m still trading, mainly to take my mind off of things to be honest.

As some of you will know, I recently embarked on a few prop challenges after being something of a sceptic since their inception.

I was midway through a challenge with My Forex Funds . . .

Yeah, turns out my scepticism wasn’t altogether unfounded after all.

Still, I’m not overly perturbed. There are good and bad in all walks of life.

I’m currently doing a $60K challenge with the5ers. I trust them and I’m reasonably confident that I will pass both the challenge and verification phase within the next two or three weeks. I will post the completion certificate as and when I get there.

I’ll then get back to the small account challenge. I have an insane new strategy with a 1:1 reward to risk ratio and a very high win rate that I can’t wait to try out. As always, you’ll all be able to follow my progress on myfxbook so stay tuned.

For now, I just wanted to give you all a general update on how I’m doing and the reason I haven’t been posting so much recently.

Kind regards,

Dan

3 Likes

Hi Dan

I’m sorry to read that you’re fighting the big C, it sounds like you’re doing everything you can to fight back. I believe that you can win this fight.

I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing more about how you get on with your 5ers challenge.

Stay strong :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You’ve had some terrible news Dan, I hope you continue strong enough to fight all the way.

I put a Like on your post, not because I wanted to hear such content at any time from anyone, but because of your amazing spirit that you put across so articulately, rationally and humbly. I do wish you well.

3 Likes

Thanks Pauley,

I really appreciate the kind comments.

Thanks tommor,

I wasn’t going to write that last post but I just wanted people to know why I haven’t been posting so much recently. I love trading and I love contributing here to the community but I just haven’t had the time or energy of late.

I really appreciate your kind comments.

1 Like

So sorry to hear your sad news. I hope the doctors are wrong and you beat the horrible thing.

Looking forward to reading about your trading again

1 Like

Really sorry to hear that news Dan, but I’m glad that you are taking a positive approach.

I have a good friend who, unknown to him and only to his wife, was given 6 to 12 months.

He didn’t have surgery, just chemo, that was in 2006 - and he is still very much alive.

In my own case, coward that I am I didn’t ask for a time frame although I was knowledgeable enough that having come from the bowel and then to lung the outlook wouldn’t be great.

Like you I adopted positivity, viewed cancer as an enemy, refused to be afraid (most of the time).
That was over 13 years back - they quit scanning me 8 years ago - just said if you feel sick come back.

I know cancer takes many forms and affects people in many different ways yet in those years I’ve met more people with similar stories - so I wish you the best of luck in the many, many years ahead.

4 Likes

Hi peterma,

Wow, your story is really inspiring and thank you for taking the time to share it.

To be honest, I am scared but sometimes fear can be a good thing because it can provoke you into taking the action necessary to survive, the radical adaptions I’ve made to my lifestyle since my diagnosis for instance.

I would love to make it to the point where you’re at and, believe me, I’m going to give it my best shot. I hope we both have many more years in front of us.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind comments chesterjohn. I really appreciate it.

It’s tough to know what to say to people in this situation except that I’m sorry for the unfortunate news.

I have not personally been through cancer, but have dealt with similar health issues leading to tests, biopsies, and ultimately, chemo. I was fortunate and got through it so far.

You are an experienced trader so that says a lot about your personality, so I know you will fight this hard.

Keep pushing ahead and we will keep following your journey.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your health journey and how brave you are to share your experience with us.

Please keep us updated on your trading progress, and more importantly, your health journey. You have a community here supporting you every step of the way. Be strong and keep fighting!

1 Like