Macfibo system

this is what I observe in these kind of forums. The original thread/rule was so simple and effective and yet people keep adding their own parameters/rules/indicators.Why not start your own thread by your own rule so will not confuse the original rule.:eek:

Hi Bro Sufi! Yesterday I have opened a short GBPJPY when a sign was given. After a good start the momentum was lost and the price mouvment became flat during Asian session as you can see on the attached chart. So now I decided to close with the actual 22 pip profit, not waiting anymore to reach 168. Did I do correctly?

so you did, cheers

According to the original rule (ver 1.2), you should have closed the trade when 5ema crossed 8sma. You did not have to wait/hold the trade until Asian market open. Ofcourse you would not get anything (Break even at best) if you exited when 5x8 but that is the exit mechanism. What was your exit plan when you entered the trade in the first place? Wait price to hit SL?

I was not at my screen when 5x8 happened, SL was at 38fibo. I have the feeling, that 5x8 may be the week point of the system. Sometimes it occour too late (loss is near to 38 SL loss), sometimes it gives a false signal, because trend comes back. This was my present case. If I close 5x8 profit 0 pip, as I did not close profit was 22 pips, because trend came back. However I do not like this “manual” trading.

Allow me, it doesn’t matter what MA you put there, it will always gives false signal. All MA crossover type methods will give false signal. I’ve accepted that since the first day I tested MA crossover based systems. I think I’ve asked you this before but I could be wrong, but how many test trades have you gone through apart from yesterday’s cases?

5x8 is designed for me to cut my losses small and designed to allow me NOT to guess the market rather react on a well-tested signal. When you said “If I close 5x8 profit 0 pip, as I did not close profit was 22 pips, because trend came back” was as if you knew what is going to happen in the future… that the trend would definitely returns… unless you have some trading edge that has high probability to ‘predict’ a trend will continue, then I will be more than happy to hear it :smiley:

For me, trading is about managing risk. When 5ema cross 8sma, I regard that as a warning and I should close my trade entirely, because STATISTICS shows when 5ema cross 8sma, it is more likely to continue than not. You might think I am upset that you find ‘weakness’ in the system… not at all. I know it has weakness but I rather you point out the weakness after you actually test the exit mechanism over the number of trades i’ve suggested many many times in the thread.

Moreover, I also mention the dangers of ‘guessing’ in trading. I admit the asian open was a flat market but did you exit based on a rule you set to yourself that ‘when market is flat, then exit existing trade’? If so, well done to you for following your trading rule (which I’ve mentioned many many times how important is it to follow your own rule)… if not, then I suspect you were guessing.

All I am trying to say, ALL trading signals will sometimes gives FALSE signal… and it is not a weakness, it’s just the way it is… thats why trading system is only 10% whilst money management and psychology is 90%. When you present a simple system to three different traders… high chance you will get three different results… and the difference of results entirely because of the 90%. One might have different risk portfolio or have problems in following the system rule etc etc… Please test the system thoroughly before judging one rule or one mechanism is not good… I am not saying you can’t say Macfibo has weakness… no no… Macfibo got LOTS of weakness but to ALL trading system that you currently test and in the future.

I am here to help, so just take this post as my way of helping. :smiley:

I really hope you are not upset, you wrote somewhere that remarks, proposals for improuvment are welcome. Of course I do not have a tonns of statistics, but I have backtested several pairs, I did not make all the notes, but I had this impression (I wrote: I have the feeling, maybe) concerning 5x8.

A was not guessing to exit. You get a sign, the initial trend prouves the validity of the sign, but after a while the market sits down, become flat for 10-15 hours. From that point to remain in position is a pure gambling for me. That’s why I decided to exit.

Hehehe don’t worry buddy. I was not upset hence I stated in that post clarifying that I was not. In reference to the bolded statement in quote…Clearly I did not read all your post, so allow me to ask what actually did you propose as to improve the exit mechanism, in this case, 5ema cross 8sma mechanism?

Well done in backtesting several pairs, how many test trades have you made?

Yes it is gambling exactly… hence it looked as if you were also ‘gambling’ when you did not exit when 5ema cross 8sma and ‘hoping’ the trend would continue… but yes duly noted that you were not in your chart (hence an exit EA is more useful to write rather than anything else).

Again, just to clarify you and others I am not upset. Far from it :D… far from it. Hehehe…

EDIT : Infact, I can propose you perhaps you don’t use 5ema cross 8sma, just use the fixed SL. In this way, you can keep stay in the trade even when 5x8 incase the trend continues. Maybe that suits you… I can suggest you an advanced way to exit a trade… it involves candlestick reversal analysis… up to you. Let me know.

I can’t make a close EA for a manual trade. When an EA open a trade it sets a “magic number” that identifies the trade. In a manual trade this number will be always 0, so the EAs can’t know what trade to close.

For the moment my experiment shows suport/resistance levels and manage the wicks. I think this afternoon I can have finished this first task.

I want to develop this EA because it isn’t an easy to code strategy, it is a very good exercise for me. And because when the EA is done I can know exactly how affects the repaint issues to the strategy.

Keep in touch.

Just a thought … to solve the “magic number” problem of the EA, what if we engage the EA only when we see a trade that we are ready to take manually. Only then will we turn on the EA for it to open a trade. But in reality, we do that so we will be able to close the trade when 5x8 happened, automatically with the EA?

What do you think?

What we can do is open the trade with a script that allows to put a magic number. Then you could manage the operations through an EA.

Attached

If you have a buy order open and you put this EA on your chart it will close all orders for that pair when a new candle opens and the Fast EMA is above the Slow SMA.

The parameters are:
TimeFrame - The minutes each candle represents i.e 60 = 1 hour; 240 = 4 hours
Fast_EMA = 5
Slow_SMA = 8

As with any code supplied by a random stranger on the internet [B]TEST IT[/B]
Then [B]test [/B]it again, then do some more [B]testing [/B]and when you are sure it works as expected [B]test it again.[/B]

I do not offer any guarantee nor do I offer any support for this code.

1st Checkpoint: Automatic Support/Resistance levels.

Daily/Weekly Highs/Lows shown as color rectangles, where colors range from the coldest to warmest:

• MediumBlue => Weakest
  • Maroon => Strongest

This is really true. Now we are on PHASE 8 :31:

I strongly agree with the basics of the previous post.

I have also spent many hours visiting forums with strategies, noting each of the previous phases.

Is clear to me. People come into euphoria or panic. So I do not usually trust what people say or modifications which may add to the system. The rules of a system can never be changed. A system should not contain arbitrary or subjective rules.

So in what I hope is what can be tested. So I want to automate this strategy.

I disagree that you can not learn anything from an EA. The EAs are a world apart where other concepts come into play. People often think they can buy any EA, plug it into a VPS and start going to Atlantis Hotel in Bahamas. Learning to understand, analyze and run an EA takes many years. I carry 3 or 4 years of study and still feel I have much to learn. It costs a lot to develop a strategy like this. If I succeed and backtest result is negative, I know why the strategy fails. Almost all fail because the indicators repaints.

So you mean you will know a strategy is good or bad only after you tested with your EA?

Let’s agree to disagree.

Manual backtesting serves me well and it should not be a surprise that I am pretty biased on this matter… and I am sure you have best years of trading in using an EA so I totally understand your stance on this matter. All the best to you in your EA writing. As I said earlier in the thread, I really hope EA writing discussion won’t be the new theme of the thread.

I have an idea without sounding ‘hostile’ or anything, but I really do believe it is a good idea to have Macfibo EA writing discussion it’s own thread so it won’t confuse everyone. I am sorry but I had an active thread years ago and the thread diverted from it’s main purpose as soon as people starts talking about ‘programming’ rather than discussing about price action, entries, exits, trades etc etc. I don’t want that to happen again.

I do appreciate your interest in automating the Macfibo system without asking any fee or anything from me, but I have to be honest, the only EA i am interested in is the exit mechanism… and I would appreciate if the programming discussion done in a different thread. My main aim sharing this system is mainly to help other new traders to go through the worst phase that every trader will face… the learning phase, where loads of money will be lost. Its a way for me to give something back to the new traders community per se… and i’d like this thread to stay that way, talking about trading and backtesting etc.

Manual Backtesting Vs Automated Backtesting, Manual Trading v Automated Trading etc etc… it’s a huge issue and a huge topic. I am not here to ‘preach’ which one is better etc… I just state my preference, manual backtesting and manual trading serves me very well and I want to help other newbies to achieve some trading consistency the same way I did. That is all… cheers.

Let’s get back to the topic, ladies and gentlemen.

Sufiansaid has spoken several times, he prefers MANUAL, but he is not totally disagreeing regarding EA trading as well. So, let it be, maybe we can start a sub thread on MACFIBO EA?

Just my 2 cents …

Bro Sufian… McFibo System is Best… :5:

sufiansaid - Just a doubt that - 5x8 exit mechanism is for loosing trades only or whatever occurs first among [SL, TP, 5x8 opposite crossover].??