Member recognition, long standing members, member churn feedback

Responding to @PipMeHappy feedback from the Forums Feedback thread

Can you expand on “website loyalty”? I know we missed the opportunity to do more interviews will long standing members (or any members for that matter), and it’s something that is planned to return. We’re also planning to do member of month recognition based on member votes on topics and replies made during the month. But I understand the need and desire for recognition and even an infrequent thank you. It’s something we didn’t do a great job at, and there’s room for improvement.

As for stickied threads, I can’t say we never did that for anybody, but understand the value in doing that more often for super quality and highly rated discussions.

We’ve had a quite strange experience with several members who were Honorary FX-Men, who contributed immensely and were very valued by the majority of the community. But there came a turning point in their time here, where unreasonable demands were made and ultimatums given to us, or rules not continuously followed, and a sense of entitlement and elitism surfaced. This happened even with encouragement and praise from the staff before all this peaked. So we’ve tried not to publicly favor specific members and praise praise praise. Because in our experience, it’s never turned out well. Perhaps we’ve gone too far in staying hands off in handing out recognition and honors and relying too much for members to find that on there own, in what they do, and how the evolve, and what they receive from other members.[quote=“PipMeHappy, post:15, topic:104670”]
let us say someone got all the badges (similarly to the FX-Men Honorary Member status): what next for them?
[/quote]

I imagine this really depends on the person. We feel the biggest draw to any community is the sense of community and the relationships and friendships you develop. Those can exist and you can engage in those relationships regardless of how far you progress in obtaining badges or reaching post count milestones or any other status level. And then there’s the educational value in being part of a community striving to learn or get better at something. Most people, I imagine, who only come for reasons of learning, will leave as soon as that stops.

We know that losing members is a problem, but something of a natural evolution or progression with forex trading. We’re a beginner forum, operating in a field where it is difficult to be successful if you don’t put in the time and commitment to learn and practice and test, and read, and understand some times complex economic situations. Even for the experienced trader it can be tough to be consistently successful. And the most successful traders who venture here, as @o990l6mh mentioned in another thread, eventually leave because of their success or they find the educational value here is lacking. I also think @o990l6mh made many great points about what keeps people interested in forex trading and learning about it here, but also what can lead to someone, even long term members, leaving. There are so many factors that lead to someone’s interest in a thing, and everything we do here is only one aspect affecting their desire to stay or stick with forex trading. There are definitely more things we can do to keep members feeling welcomed, recognized and happy to be here.

To that end, thank you for your candid feedback. It makes the Forums a better place to have members provide constructive criticism. I’d also like to extend a handshake and giant bear hug to you, for your contributions over your 4+ years here. You’re sitting at the top of our regular member’s post count with over 5200 posts. That’s a great accomplishment!

1 Like

Dear Pipstradamus, thank you for this thoughtful and moderate reply, it really means a lot to have this conversation with you. I completely understand what you mean by ‘sense of entitlement’, which I think is natural when someone has spent a lot of time on here and feels like they are somehow part of the very fabric of the site… But, of course, one is only ever as good as one’s last comment or post, so even the best member here can make one bad comment and get it horribly wrong, ending up banned and being remembered as ‘the member who said…what?!?’

I am agreeing with you that this is more of a beginner-focused forum, therefore it is dawning on me that, having met some wonderful people on here with whom I had the privilege to exchange many private e.mails away from this site for some time, I have a small but steady virtual community of my own that is more manageable than the rather more fleeting one of a forum: for this reason, I feel that sadly the time has come to hang up my PipMeHappy cloak and say goodbye. Those who would miss me are already on my private e.mail contact list, so they will be in touch with me and I am grateful to BabyPips for giving me the opportunity to have met such wonderful people.

This is my last post, with which I would like to thank you, Ananais (for the interview with me), and all FX-(Wo)Men for allowing me to grow through the school and the forums.

For the last time I will wish you all

Happy Trading

I think this is something that many of us tend to overlook and perhaps forget, even perhaps becoming frustrated with, myself being guilty.

It goes to show that there is a gap in the market for a forum that is open to ‘the next level of trading discussions’ - this newbie forum which BP clearly is, is always going to get churn by the bucket full.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but unsurprised to see PipMeHappy now leaving, too.

Sinking ships, and all that.

There’s a great disparity between what Pipstradamus sees as sense of entitlement and showing previous contributors just a bit of the respect they’re so obviously due. What happens to the place without them?

I joined not very long ago and had a very good look around and read around. Luckily I did that just before the software change made it really tough to do!!

I was looking for somewhere to keep a trading journal, rather than just on my own computer, and to discuss a couple of simple indicator systems which have been quite good to me over the last year, thinking that I’d benefit from some interactions about them and that they in turn might manage to benefit others as well.

What I saw worried me.

It was obvious that most of the valuable providers of content, interaction and advice had already gone. I’ve seen some of them in other places and even read what some of them said about why, but I still decided to be open minded about it and look for myself.

The conversation in the “feedback about new Discourse Forums” thread has now made up my mind for me. I offered feedback but it was dismissed out of hand and I was patronized.

I don’t know if you really welcome feedback from someone who joined as recently as me, but I thought I’d explain why I’m not staying.

It’s surely because this is a beginners’ forum that you so much need some more experienced, respected members to answer questions, advise, discuss and so on.

But as a few people have been saying recently, you don’t show any respect for their experience at all.

You’re certainly going about keeping the ones you most need in a weird way, by talking about their sense of entitlement.

That’s as offputting as it comes.

You say above that it was a “strange experience” that so many senior Fx-men members who had “contributed immensely” have gone. Even a newcomer like me can see they’ve gone. And are still going.

Seems to me that it’s a “strange experience” to you because you really haven’t learned anything from the fact that so many people have all taken the same course of action. You talk as if you honestly think the problem is with all of them rather than with you.

And that’s without even mentioning all the incessant posting here that’s so obviously promotional.

It wasn’t new software you needed.

It was a new way of treating your members.

Goodbye.

6 Likes

This really isn’t working out all to well, is it BP? I even asked on the old BP website prior to the changes “have you taken the opportunity to talk to some of the long standing members on potential improvements/advice” to which I was told no.

As everyone has said, members drive BP, this really shouldn’t be ignored.

As much as i want to embrace change, hopefully for the better, I really think you should have got more members on board who use BP day-in-day-out. A free resource that would have had immense advantageous benefits. Such a shame.

You know as well as I do that in a matter of months this thread will disappear, and the wheel will start turning again. Either way, the logistics of this move [update] I have to say have been performed on the wrong basis.

1 Like

The argument that members do not have to be here , that it is their choice often pops up, but once someone has finished going through the school they don’t always automatically leave as they are still in no way capable of trading and require a huge amount of advice and motivation.
Who is going to give that to them? It is the members who stick around or experienced members who return and are willing to give up many hours of their time writing in depth posts, giving away a huge amount of information, references to articles, sites, books, videos. They give links to other parts of BP which a new member may find helpful.
They make and put up their own videos and begin interesting and useful threads which they keep going for many years.
They make new members feel welcome, they motivate people and give their own real life stories. They make suggestions to improve the forum and they continually try to fight spam.
They warn members against scammers and swiftly act upon any scammer who attempts to entice the naive.
They try to create a sense of community.
They share their trading systems and techniques. They give their fundamental insights.
They support other traders who need support .
Too many things to mention.
After years of input should they feel a little entitled. Yes, they most certainly should for without them what is BP other than a school.
Volunteers in any organisation are openly and frequently thanked for their efforts. Members contributions should not be taken for granted or treated as meaningless just because it is a forum they contribute to and not a “physical” business.
Even an experienced trader can gain insight from other members through this forum.
I have only been a member for 6 months but have probably been reading BP for about 10 or so years…and I can say without hesitation…I absolutely loathe the new software. There is NO improvement whatsoever.

2 Likes