Metatrader 4 or Metatrader 5? which is better?

MT5 is better, for the simple reason that it is multithreaded, where as mt4 is single threaded, and there are many other obvious advantages to mt5.

If you are just learning mt5 is the best one to learn as thats what MOST traders will be forced to use in the future as mt4 is dead (VERY SOON) as reported by its maker.

1 Like

But MT5 is slow in phones to navigate. I had a try but navigating was a problem.

Apparently Ctrader and Calgo Platform isnā€™t available in the USā€¦

Between themā€¦ Wall Street and the Dodd Frank have got US traders by the short and curliesā€¦

this is not true anymore. You can have hedge account or non hedhe account.

ctrader looks good but does it have a wide variety of profitable EAs? Iā€™m new to forex and from what I have been reading, MT4 has the largest selection. But I have heard itā€™s not that great (incorrect display of indicators,clunky, etc). Also the UI looks so dated.

1 Like

Hi @Lil_Pip_Lea, Ctrader has undergone a massive upgrade since this my last post in this thread.

EAā€™s for Ctrader can be found hereā€¦ Indicators hereā€¦

Yes, as Iā€™ve shown many times, the amount of EAā€™s and Indicators for MT4 is mind bogglingā€¦

Profitable EAā€™s from either Platform is debatableā€¦ Develop your own is the best way forward

Also have a look at the TradingView Platformā€¦ it looks as good as Ctraderā€¦

Regarding which platform is better, I would advise you to install both and test both. See for yourself which one you like more. And by test I donā€™t mean trade for a few days, you need to test them for weeks, even months before you decide.

Has anyone used Ctrader and MT5
Which one has better user experience??

Hello,
In my opinion the Meta Trader 5 is the better option, as on the MT5 there are more functionalities as 2 more types of Pending orders, Strategy tester, Custom time frames etc.

If I need to choose between the MT4 and MT5 Platform, I would prefer MT5. I wonā€™t mention any other platforms because the question is only about these two but basically MT4 and MT5 are easy to use, at least for me. And I think they are easy for newbies as well. I like the MT5 more because it has more options and features like more indicators, more time frames, more information could be shown on the charts and there is a news calendar as well which could be rather helpful. The minus of both platforms is the lack of Mac versions, instead you need to install additional software which replicates Windows OS and sometimes this has a negative impact on the stability of the platforms.

Personally, I use and I like MT4, but Metaquotes stopped developing that platform while MT5 is getting new features and development. They even rolled out an update to include negative pricing for assets because of the WTI Crude Oil historic crash back in March.

Itā€™s good to keep that in mind when picking a platform. I probably should move onto MT5 but I am so used MT4, I donā€™t know how Iā€™ll do it.

what makes 4 better than 5?

I think it largely depends on the person to decide what is better for them. Right now, according to recent Metaquotes (the developer) data, more brokers offer MT5 than those that offer MT4, but MT4 still has a bigger trading volume.
I, personally, use MT4.

MT4 was designed specifically for forex traders, and its features and functionality reflect this. For this reason, MT4 is the preferred software platform for traders primarily focused on the forex market. MT5 has broader applications in contract-for-difference (CFD), stock, and futures trading.

I personally use mt4 although Iā€™m sure at some stage I will look at 5 a bit more