Metatrader 4 tutorial

Hi Everyone
I am looking for a tutorial for Metatrader 4.

I looked in the help section in the MT4 program thinking that this would be a good place to start, but the help there is quite dry and sterile…

For example, I was looking at Indicators and I clicked on ‘Aligator’…this is the help text from MT4

[I]In principle, Alligator Technical Indicator is a combination of Balance Lines (Moving Averages) that use fractal geometry and nonlinear dynamics.[/I] :confused::confused:

So can anyone direct me to something a bit more ‘fruity’? ( As opposed to dry and sterile):smiley:

got it fromanother thread

Hiya tzatta!

There are cool video-tutorials on how to use Metatrader 4. Use the power of google. :smiley:

I have here Placing Order at viddler.com.:wink:

-czar :smiley:

Hi Agai

@jado911…thanks mate :smiley:

@Czar…had a quick look at the viddler site…looks like just what I need :smiley:

Hi Everyone
Well now that I have had a look at the viddler videos, at least I have a better understanding of MT4 :slight_smile:

Another question…I notice on the forum that there are quite a few zip files to look at for indicators and whatnot. I downloaded one and when i unzipped it I saw a mq4 file.

I think that this is a script file so I guess that I need to go into the parent folder of MT4 and copy and paste this file into the script folder?

But there are quite a few files that when unzipped I dont know where to put them…so I would be grateful if someone could tell me where all the various files go.

hmmm… if you’ve downloaded an indicator, put it under “Template” folder. and… hehe, the other files from a zip file…hmmm… i don’t know where to put them. :o

Hi Czar
Thanks for your reply. What I mean is that I dont know what the various abreviations mean. A kind of A-Z would be helpful.

Ooops, uhm… I have no idea where to find list of mt4 abbreviations. :frowning:

Hi guys,
I wonder if the following is available in Metatrader 4.
Basically I want to trade in ADX when the DI+ and the DI- cross. Graphically, its difficult to pinpoint exactly when they cross so Id like to see the ADX data not only in graph form but also in data form so that I will execute when the two variables are the same.

Also, I want to backtest the system, so I was wondering if there is a way to show the DI- and D+ (among others like price etc) on a step by step basis. Kinda like moving the chart with “F12” but instead of just the chart moving, the data also moves to the next candlestick.

Any help will be appreciated!

Ps I gave up looking for an EA for this, can’t seem to find one so will do it manually.

Hi guys,

There is no hard and fast rules for identifying which files go where…

Generally there will be a “readme” file or installation instructions in the zip folder.

If not, then it is a trial and error thing. First off try and identify the EA…it will generally be called xyzEA.mq4…the “EA” bit normally gives it away. Generally any other .mq4 files will be indicators. Much of the time the EA will be a ex4(ie compiled file) and the indicators will be mq4 files…but not always.

If you can just load the EA and run it, go to the “Experts” tab at the foot of the terminal and the text there will tell you what file it is looking for and where it should be.

If you have a .dll file, this goes in the libraries folder and if you have a .mqh this will go in the \include folder

A .tpl goes in the root folder emplates folder. If you have an automatic EA then you don’t need the template as the robot does not need it. It is just for you to look at but some can consume huge resources.

fknandrew…you can view what is happening in slow motion. Just run a backtest in visual mode and while it is running, just drag the ADX indicator onto the chart. You can slow it down and stop it but you cannot go back.

Hope it helps.

K

Kenny Hubbard,

Thanks, this is a HUGE help. Been using it testing strategies, and thanks to you I am a thousand bucks poorer only in paper trying out my bad strategies haha. Save a lot of time. Though Im getting spoiled with the high speed outcomes, wonder how Ill do in live trading haha.