MT4 Stop Loss problem

Hey guys really need some advice, my trade moved 2xATR in profit so I applied a trailling stop loss at 1.5xATR behind price. But it made a sound then jumped up about 20 pips behind price? So i tried to drag it down… it stayed for about 2 seconds, then jumped back up to the same place? So I tried manually setting it to the exact price… stayed there for 2 seconds… then jumped back up again itself to the same place with the sound effect again.

Whats up with this?

Lol are you talking about mt4. That annoying sound when it doesnt allow you to do something? It normally happens when I try to move my stop loss. Yeah i think it depends on the spread, volatility and instrument but I’ve had it a few times where it just doesnt set where u want it. So I just assume I cant do what I’m trying to do and move on. Not sure why yours moves to a certain place. Might be worth calling the broker and asking them

1 Like

Yeah that sound on mt4, i tried to set it about 90 pips away from the price, but heard “not allowed sound” and it moved up, must have been only a few pips away because I got stopped out just before the market closed. It was funny though cos I was able to set it correctly on another pair.

Gutted though because it was my biggest running trade so far. :joy:

Yeah might email FXPRO, its only a demo but I would be pissed if it was on live.

Broker must have wanted you out! :joy:

Yeah bet their sweating hoping I dont go live and clean them out :joy:

2 Likes

Hey Paul @Paulscaff1, If FXPro is your Broker, have a look at the Ctrader Trading Platform (available via FXPro)… The video showcases version 3.5 (now 3.7) and makes MT4 look rather anemic.

You have Advanced Stops and plenty of other features that Metatrader doesn’t include.

Trading’s hard enough without having to fight your Platform as well as the markets…

Hi @Trendswithbenefits

Your right ive had shot of ctrader and it seems miles better than MT4. The only reason ive been using MT4 is that ive been trying out the NNFX strategy for the past few weeks so theres a few custom indicators running.

Also got spreadbet account with IG for ‘normal’ trading.

This is how trailing stops work, with every price move in your favour trailing stop moves as well. Basically its function is to automatically decrease potential loss if price starts to move in your favour.